• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dropping the front arm with the 36" front end

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
I have a '14 pro 163" with burandt evol shocks all the way around, alt imp 36" arms. my concern is that when the sled is on flat ground, only the last 1/4 of the rear suspension touches the ground. the front of the track is off the ground a good inch or two and than tapers down until roughly the rear arm location. is this how the stock 163" is or does the 36" raise the front end causing the front of the rear suspension to lift as well? just curious if dropping the front arm to the assault location would help this or if this is a normal thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I don't think you want to be placing the suspension mounting in Assault position. The rail profile of the RMK and the Assault are different. The Assault can be changed back and forth but from what I've seen, the RMK shouldn't be changed.

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
I don't think you want to be placing the suspension mounting in Assault position. The rail profile of the RMK and the Assault are different. The Assault can be changed back and forth but from what I've seen, the RMK shouldn't be changed.

interesting, Whys that? I would think by them giving you the option of dropping it that it would ok to do. has anyone here actually stabbed a track by dropping the front arm?

I realize you lose some AOA by doing that, but being able to pop the front end up to get over creeks, downed trees etc etc is highly valuable the way I ride.

The Bob

Premium Member
Mar 1, 2008
MN
We talking RMK Assault or the SBA? Is their different FTA mounting positions on the Tunnel?

On my Pro I added a limiter strap and let them out a bit. Seemed to help a little bit from pushing, but didn't quite get me to where I would like with being able to lift the front a bit easier. I'm running Burandt Evol/r 3 setup on the rear and have RC2's at 17.2"s and Z-Broz 39" arms. Z-Broz recommends 17.125", so I am .075 from their recommendation but can't imagine that makes a huge difference. I noticed my rear skid wasn't sitting as flat as I would like when I finished this sled. Mine is a 155".

Last edited:

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
the rmk assault. if you look at the pro tunnel it has a hole below the existing one that can be drilled out, which is the one the rmk assault uses because of the wider stance.

In short, im just curious if someone with a stock 163" front end and skid could tell me if the skid sits completely flat or if the front of the skid is raised like mine.

The Bob

Premium Member
Mar 1, 2008
MN
If I recall most I have seen don't sit completely flat on the ground just sitting, most I see are 155"s. So a 163" would probably make it more prevalent. Do you know the length of the front shocks? Not familiar with Alternate Impact and what length shocks they want for the 36"s.

I don't think they drop it down due to the width on the Assault, it would have more to do with the longer shocks on the front.

Last edited:

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012

thanks, good read. Im gonna drop it down and try it, still no evidence of anyone stabbing a track. With the 36" front end causing a little higher ride height, it appears that the bumper height is similar to an assault bumper height, which may allow me to drop the front arm without issue.

I may be back on here with a stabbed track saying dont do it haha. I want to upgrade to the 2.6 anyways so ill give it a shot.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Its the front end with the floats. Had the same issue on my pro. I ended up running about 50 psi in the main chambers to get it to sag more. Then put extra in the evols til i got it how i wanted. With coilover you can just put less preload on it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
thanks, good read. Im gonna drop it down and try it, still no evidence of anyone stabbing a track. With the 36" front end causing a little higher ride height, it appears that the bumper height is similar to an assault bumper height, which may allow me to drop the front arm without issue.

I may be back on here with a stabbed track saying dont do it haha. I want to upgrade to the 2.6 anyways so ill give it a shot.

Definitely report back with your findings.

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
that ski does look like it rides a little lower.

had a ski rubber issue as well. 200 miles on sled and both were shot.

1ae13d7cca889b1f5e521283f4d0646a.jpg
7eb988e73ee134afedd95c9e8dee8c40.jpg

Last edited:
S
Aug 22, 2015
Brooklyn, WI
I second the whats your shock length? that could cause front to raise I tried fox shocks one time to try and realized they shipped wrong ones and it sat mostly on the rear of the track, mines a 155.

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
just some food for thought about track stabbing, alot of people with the 3" tracks are running 7t drivers which also increases attack angle and you don't hear many problems from them. I'm not sure how close that angle is between dropping the front arm or running 7t drivers but its just something that popped in my head.

Premium Features