• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 yeti vs 2016 timbersled

J

Jsteb

Jan 19, 2014
I know this should bring out some opinions , hopefully only from guys who have ridden both kits .

I'm looking for anyone who has been to some of then 2016 demos and have been lucky enough to ride both the new timbersled and the new yeti side by side.

I'm sure they both are going to rip and be fun, but would be nice to hear from some of the guys that have already had a chance to swing a leg over both?

B

bigbird

Nov 26, 2007
edmonton area
www.rushmotorsports.ca
I've ridden a 2015 ts and a yeti. Don't own either one. Yeti is so far ahead of the TS it's incredible. So much lighter and efficient. You need significantly more hp to make a TS keep up. Having said that I haven't ridden a 2016 TS.

I've ridden a 2015 ts and a yeti. Don't own either one. Yeti is so far ahead of the TS it's incredible. So much lighter and efficient. You need significantly more hp to make a TS keep up. Having said that I haven't ridden a 2016 TS.

Define "far ahead" I was at the Silver Star hill climb in Vernon this past weekend, both camps were their, and fully represented by the factory (builders) and their top riders. The Timbersled took top honours in time and speed on the hill. We're their riders better? (safe bet i.e. Brock Hoyer & Reagan Sieg) Were the bikes equal? (probably not) Is the design and material used in the Yeti better? well it most certainly is lighter, is lighter always better? Not if the sum of all the parts and systems do not sinnergistically work together. As far as "efficient" goes the jury is out on that one. I watched the launch out of the timing gates of 80% of all the bikes from 15 feet away and the Timbersleds flat out hooked up better. I attribute this to the suspension period. (not just track, bike, rider, etc.) I asked A certain jumping expert if he would drop a Yeti off a 60 footer? the short answer no. Now has yeti done a good job of coming up with a very innovative design, in tunnel, drive, ski, etc. in a short period of time? yes and should be commended. However they are new to the game and in the beginning there is always growing pains! I'm sure if they stay in the game they will continue to improve. Timbersled was in the game long before they made bike skids, and have given the sport, improvements every year that are real and listened to their customer base, especially with the 2016, I think they hit it out of the park especially with the TSS, track and other suspension upgrades.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
For those of us that are curious please don't stray from the reports of those that have ridden them . Your comparing a rookie at the drags to a veteran , no comparison .
I know this should bring out some opinions , hopefully only from guys who have ridden both kits .

I'm looking for anyone who has been to some of then 2016 demos and have been lucky enough to ride both the new timbersled and the new yeti side by side.

I'm sure they both are going to rip and be fun, but would be nice to hear from some of the guys that have already had a chance to swing a leg over both?

B

bigbird

Nov 26, 2007
edmonton area
www.rushmotorsports.ca
Define "far ahead" I was at the Silver Star hill climb in Vernon this past weekend, both camps were their, and fully represented by the factory (builders) and their top riders. The Timbersled took top honours in time and speed on the hill. We're their riders better? (safe bet i.e. Brock Hoyer & Reagan Sieg) Were the bikes equal? (probably not) Is the design and material used in the Yeti better? well it most certainly is lighter, is lighter always better? Not if the sum of all the parts and systems do not sinnergistically work together. As far as "efficient" goes the jury is out on that one. I watched the launch out of the timing gates of 80% of all the bikes from 15 feet away and the Timbersleds flat out hooked up better. I attribute this to the suspension period. (not just track, bike, rider, etc.) I asked A certain jumping expert if he would drop a Yeti off a 60 footer? the short answer no. Now has yeti done a good job of coming up with a very innovative design, in tunnel, drive, ski, etc. in a short period of time? yes and should be commended. However they are new to the game and in the beginning there is always growing pains! I'm sure if they stay in the game they will continue to improve. Timbersled was in the game long before they made bike skids, and have given the sport, improvements every year that are real and listened to their customer base, especially with the 2016, I think they hit it out of the park especially with the TSS, track and other suspension upgrades.
Like I said, haven't ridden the 16 TS stuff. We compared same rider, different setups, same hill. Hard comparing different race programs with different riders. Odds are at silver star the most talented rider won.

Y
Nov 26, 2007
This coming Saturday we will also have our local hill climb on a groomed/snow packed ski hill course and I will ride a yeti against a pile of TS. Who knows the outcome. And really don't care. I am more interested in True backcountry gulleys, chutes, and hills. After 2 days on a yeti past weekend with guys running various TS set ups, tracks lengths and years I am a believer that the yeti is the real deal in the back country.

Y
Nov 26, 2007
I am doing some tweaking fr an event tomorrow and playing around wth gearing options on the yeti and am amazed how quick and easy to do gear swaps. 4 quick releases, looses bolt on guide/tensioner, removed bolt on gear and slide gear off replace with gear of choice!! 2 minutes- like it!!!!

B

Blaser

Feb 24, 2004
Idaho
www.2moto.com
What a touchy topic! The responses so far that compare older or past year Timbersled kits to 2016 Yeti's are humorous. I appreciate how the original thread question references opinions of 2016 vs. 2016 products.

I've ridden both brand '16 kits on the same day, same loop, same bike (well, KTM450/Husky 450); I've ridden all day with the Yeti guys, watched, and taken hundreds of pics and many videos of the ride. Also raced with them.

We also have the Yeti track (bought it direct), and we have 5 of the same make/model/year bikes that yield as close a comparison of the individual components as is possible.

We also like and respect the Yeti guys, and we've enjoyed getting to know them. They are also good (past) Timbersled customers.

Of course I'm dying to put out all the pics and videos- and to tell what I've seen, tested, ridden, and know. But these types of discussions rarely go over well. The market will sort it all out.

I will say this: bolt a new Convex 2.5 track on any previous year Mountain Horse, and go ride it with a new 2016 Yeti of the same track length, and same bike displacement. That'll educate people. :face-icon-small-sho

So if you're going to bash, at least compare 2016 to 2016. :face-icon-small-hap

-Blaser

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I'm interested in checking back on this tread after say, February or so... when there are a significant number of production/consumer Yeti's on the snow in customers hands that are riding with Timbersled bikes.

At this point... I believe that the Yeti is still in the "Beta-Phase" of design/production... with first year roll out for the upcoming season.

To me, that is where we will learn about a "real world" comparison.
A comparison that will include cost, functionality, handling, climbing, and...very importantly, reliability/durability... along with support for crash-replacement parts.

I DO know that C3 puts a lot of pride and quality into the snowmobile products that they make (as do, of course T-sled) ... I would expect the same for the Yeti.

What are the MSRP's of the two brands... comparably equipped?

Last edited:
B

Blaser

Feb 24, 2004
Idaho
www.2moto.com

What are the MSRP's of the two brands... comparably equipped?

Sorry for the thread deviation.

Timbersled (usd):
ST 120- $5300
LT 137- $6000
SX120- $5800
SX137- $6500

All require a Fit Kit. You can choose a solid strut Fit Kit for $300, or the new TSS Fit Kit which adds another 8+ inches of plush suspension travel for $1100. Having over 20" of bottomless rear travel that pivots like a dirt bike at your heels is indescribable.

TSS is also adaptable to all previous ST/LT kits and sold as a rear-only upgrade kit for $900.

Jaime from Yeti told us on Sunday that they are $10,000 (cad) for their base kit with aluminum rails. I have no idea what that includes or comes with.
-Blaser

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
[fixed math below]

So, here’s a view of pricing with a fit-kit and the TSS strut:

ST 120- $5300 + $1100 = $6400
LT 137- $6000 + $1100 = $7100
SX120- $5800 + $1100 = $6900
SX137- $6500 + $1100 = $7600

So, here’s a view of pricing with a fit-kit and the FIXED strut:

ST 120- $5300 + $300 = $5600
LT 137- $6000 + $300 = $6300
SX120- $5800 + $300 = $6100
SX137- $6500 + $300 = $6800

Today(4/17) the CAD-USD conversion rate sits at .82 so the Yeti is $8168.60 USD.
All of their options/upgrades/are not clearly published. Just seeing citations of an "all-in" price before options.

For either, add tax, shipping/freight(if applicable), options, colors, install, bike-upgrades, Etc...

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

mnsnowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
Dayton, Minnesota
So, here’s a view of pricing with a fit-kit and the TSS strut:

ST 120- $5300 + $400 + 1100 = $6800
LT 137- $6000 + $400 + 1100 = $7500
SX120- $5800 + $400 + 1100 = $7300
SX137- $6500 + $400 + 1100 = $8000

So, here’s a view of pricing with a fit-kit and the FIXED strut:

ST 120- $5300 + $400 + 300 = $6000
LT 137- $6000 + $400 + 300 = $6700
SX120- $5800 + $400 + 300 = $6500
SX137- $6500 + $400 + 300 = $7200

Today(4/17) the CAD-USD conversion rate sits at .82 so the Yeti is $8168.60 USD.
All of their options/upgrades/are not clearly published. Just seeing citations of an "all-in" price before options.

For either, add tax, shipping/freight(if applicable), options, colors, install, bike-upgrades, Etc...

What is the $400 in your pricing for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
Found the error, fixed the post above.

Recently, I had priced out fit-kits for an older kit ($400*). In error, I thought the fit-kit was in addition to the price of the kit, so in error, I had added it. For 2016, it appears to be considered the "strut option/fit-kit included." The $400 has been removed and the simple napkin-math pricing updated.

Just thought it was useful to start to see a better view of the actual out the door costs of the kits. Was trying to help. Sorry for the error, it's fixed.

*depending upon model

Last edited:
P

PalousePoo

Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, Wash.
I would like to hear about the Yeti VS TS in powder snow. Remember a couple years ago when the UFO was thought to be the neatest thing since sliced bread! Looked cool, lighter, new design. Then the snow fell and its deep snow performance just wasn't on par with a TS. This new model is reminding me of that. I want to see the head to head comparison by unbiased snowbikers.

T
Aug 12, 2008
Misery Bay, MI
Honestly as a former factory test rider/ racer for years on dirt and snow the TSS and suspension upgrades are going to be hard to top regardless of kit weight, for my kind of riding.... I think it's great to see competition and it looks like there will be market deviation. There will be kits that go straight up better and those that handle jumps/drops/trees better than others just like sleds. I can't wait! It's going to be a fun couple of years coming up!

S
Oct 5, 2008
Okanagan
To be fair, the rider at silver star, on the timber sled blew off the first big jump with the throttle pinned and got about 20 feet of air, more than any sled or more than any normal guy would dare to do unless you have an extensive moto background,
And I agree with the top post when he said "will the Yeti hold up to consistent 60 foot drops"?, probably not, but no sled or Timberlsed will sustain that type of constant abuse nor would my body, and there is not allot of guys willing to drop off 60 foot cliffs on there timebrlseds, maybe one that I know of and he does that kind of stuff for a living.
I rode a LT timberlsed all last year with the upgraded 2.5 track on it and it does make a significant difference compared to the stock TS track, which is now a stock option for TS, I would say the majority of riding is adventurous, new places in the trees, new smaller bowls and places that you don't see allot of sleds.
I really don't think the majority of guys are heading to boulder or eagles and heading to monster bowl to make high marks, I could be wrong but from what I have experienced its more like riding endurocross through the trees and looking for a cool lines through the trees and meadows full of powder and some small 15 foot jumps with a powder landing.

The big thing I see with the competition coming out is just that competition which tends to make everything better for everyone and it will take next year to determine who may have the better product and hopefully by that time maybe we see another manufacturer step into the game and push the bar even higher.

What I do like is the severe weight savings of the new tracks coming out as the bikes do work like mad to push that tracks through deep snow as thats not what they were designed to do and its allot to ask of any bike to work that hard for that long, thats why were seeing over heating issues and then guys going big bore and turbo which gets risky running in the back country when your only real option in some places is a helicopter or taking it apart to get them out because lets face it these things don't tow well out of the back country. So weight equals HP savings and because we lack the ability in bikes to create allot of HP we need weight reduction

I know what were all waiting for is a one of the big companies to come out with a stock bike track package with a snow checked 3 year warranty that just flat out works and weighs 260lbs all in.

And with the amount of interest in the sport I hope its not to far away.

Anyway, great sport, good to see competition out there, its going to make for a better sport all around for every rider out there.

Premium Features