• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arctic Cat fires CEO, will it effect Yamaha Joint Venture

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Arctic Cat CEO Claude Jordan is out <hr style="color:#e8e8e8; background-color:#e8e8e8" size="1"> http://www.bizjournals.com/twincitie...mer-chief.html

Jun 2, 2014, 6:57am CDT Updated: Jun 2, 2014, 9:11am CDT
Arctic Cat CEO Claude Jordan is out, former chief Chris Twomey steps in

Arctic Cat
Claude Jordan, former CEO of Arctic Cat

Mark ReillyManaging Editor- Minneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal Email

Claude Jordan, the chairman and CEO of Arctic Cat Inc., has resigned from the snowmobile and ATV maker after a pair of difficult quarters and a slumping stock price that's lost one-third of its value since January.

Former CEO Chris Twomey is taking over as interim chief.

Plymouth-based Arctic Cat (Nasdaq: ACAT) announced Jordan's departure Monday morning. Jordan had spent six years at the company, first as president and then as successor to Twomey, who led Arctic Cat for more than two decades. Jordan's departure was described as a mutual decision by Jordan and the board.

Shares of Arctic Cat are diving on the news; the stock is down more than 10 percent, to $33.54 in morning trading.

The company missed its earnings estimates in its fiscal third quarter— despite a cold, snowy winter in much of the country — and then again in the fourth quarter, when the Star Tribune reported that it also lowered its outlook for the coming year on weak Canadian business and a poor product mix.

Twomey will lead the company on an interim basis while a permanent CEO is sought. The company also is seeking a new chief financial officer; CFO Tim Delmore had previously announced he'd retire this year, but has put that off while a search continues.

It's not known when the decision was made for Jordan to leave; just three days ago the company filed its proxy statement to shareholders, noting that Jordan would be officiating at its annual meeting Aug. 7.

In that filing, the company reported that Jordan earned $1.9 million in fiscal 2014, down from $2.2 million the year before. Most of the decline was attributed to lower incentive pay.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Well.
This certainly ties in with our previous discussion about Arctic Cat's financial woes.

Wonder if this will have ANY impact at all on the relationship with Yamaha??

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Could there be a buy out or merger in the near future ? Certainly from a share holder perspective that could be viewed as a positive if Cat merges with a powerhouse like Yamaha...I guess only time will tell

DPG

C
Jan 5, 2012
Iowa
In my uneducated opinion Yamaha is a very conservative company. AC appears to not be a very good investment. I've read on here many times how difficult it is for manufactures to make money on snowmobiles. It cant be much easier in the SxS market. A lot of R&D, lawsuits, holdover product, and competition has to make both segments tough.

As stated I don't have vast knowledge on the subject, but if I was a manufacturer the motorcycle and ATV market would be more appealing. Worldwide sales and you can actually keep the same platform for a decade. SxS and snowmobiles are ever evolving and it has to expensive to keep up with bigger $ Polaris and Skidoo. Wonder how AC's fall will effect their motor production?

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
AC is a sinking ship in the mountain class, so is Yamaha... Both are successful in other places...

I can see a huge leap forward in the class we're interested in coming within a few years. Either could be apart of it. I doubt its Cat with their recent lack of commitment to the mountain people but Yamaha has the big $s to do something huge even if its not profitable.

The way I see it Yamaha is using AC as a fill in to either leapfrog the competition or trying to recover the investment they have in old tech and get out of our class all together. JMO.

Btw I'm not brand loyal I'm just best loyal when I buy new. lol

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
They shouldn't have dropped Oregon trail Sports as a dealer. Its all down hill from there!

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Since the birth of the Powder Special back 1993 - 1994 Cat has been a few steps behind Poo & Doo....And with snow cross being all but dead the dagger has been put deeper into Cats heart. Even there 4 wheelers & side by sides struggle to gain traction in the market place

Perhaps Cat should just focus on there railroad car chassis division in Nebraska.

DPG

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Since the birth of the Powder Special back 1993 - 1994 Cat has been a few steps behind Poo & Doo....And with snow cross being all but dead the dagger has been put deeper into Cats heart. Even there 4 wheelers & side by sides struggle to gain traction in the market place

Perhaps Cat should just focus on there railroad car chassis division in Nebraska.

DPG

Completely disagree with that. The M series dominated 05-10 and changed where and how we ride.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
The M Sleds 05 - 10 may have been a game changer for Cat. But in the real world they were always behind 05 to 10 Poos & Cats. ...My daughter rider an 09 HCR 153 not a bad sled but not in the same league as Doo's &'Poo's IMO.

image.jpg

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
The M Sleds 05 - 10 may have been a game changer for Cat. But in the real world they were always behind 05 to 10 Poos & Cats. ...My daughter rider an 09 HCR 153 not a bad sled but not in the same league as Doo's &'Poo's IMO.

If it's not in the same league, why is she on it? You're really saying you'd rather have a 2010 dragon than a 2010 M8? Or an '06 700 polaris than an M7?

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
If it's not in the same league, why is she on it? You're really saying you'd rather have a 2010 dragon than a 2010 M8? Or an '06 700 polaris than an M7?

My 18 year old daughter loves green and could care less about which sled works better. And my Doo's 05 -10 runs circles around the M8. My RMK 700 when I rode Polaris back in the day ate M8's for exercise.

Like I said not a bad sled just not as good as the Poo & Doo 05 - 10

DPG

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
My 18 year old daughter loves green and could care less about which sled works better. And my Doo's 05 -10 runs circles around the M8. My RMK 700 when I rode Polaris back in the day ate M8's for exercise.

Like I said not a bad sled just not as good as the Poo & Doo 05 - 10

DPG

I'll take your word that you had a better Poo 700 than most. I think the Dragons are a pretty good sled, but in '05 and '06, the IQ wasn't there yet. I've not been around too many Doos, but to me, they seemed comparable. Rider>>>sled, on any of them. To me, that means they're all decent. If one was massively better or worse than the others, it would be obvious. The fact that there are these debates means they are close. You're perfectly free to ride what you like, heck, I'm still on a King Cat (not exactly stock), and don't see any new, stock sled I'd really be happier on.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
I'll take your word that you had a better Poo 700 than most. I think the Dragons are a pretty good sled, but in '05 and '06, the IQ wasn't there yet. I've not been around too many Doos, but to me, they seemed comparable. Rider>>>sled, on any of them. To me, that means they're all decent. If one was massively better or worse than the others, it would be obvious. The fact that there are these debates means they are close. You're perfectly free to ride what you like, heck, I'm still on a King Cat (not exactly stock), and don't see any new, stock sled I'd really be happier on.

I agree ride what you feel best riding....I have never been brand loyal I am parcel to skidoo because it feels best for me. I do like the new Cats there new skid is a huge improvement over 2009 and is a fun sled to ride. In the deep I could be very happy on a new Cat there handling is as good if not slightly better than my XM.

Riding a beast like a King Cat you might like the new Cats just for there handling. Have you had a chance to swing a leg over a new Cat?

DPG

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I agree ride what you feel best riding....I have never been brand loyal I am parcel to skidoo because it feels best for me. I do like the new Cats there new skid is a huge improvement over 2009 and is a fun sled to ride. In the deep I could be very happy on a new Cat there handling is as good if not slightly better than my XM.

Riding a beast like a King Cat you might like the new Cats just for there handling. Have you had a chance to swing a leg over a new Cat?

DPG

I rode a 2014 M8 for a few minutes. Nothing wrong with the chassis. I've been on a 201? XP800, also nice, and a brand new 2014 Pro 800. Also spent a fair amount of time on a 2012 M1100 with a 215+ hp kit in it. None of them made me want to give up my King Cat mod. Admittedly, it's highly modified, and doesn't handle like a King anymore. There's build thread in the Member's build forum if you're interested.

The 1100 came closest, if I'm honest, it's nearly as much fun as our 1500 triple. That's a different comparison than my everyday sled though.

What we're actually looking at doing is putting our big bored King motors into lighter, newer chassis. Cat is out because the motor simply won't fit without a ton of work. Doo is pretty well out because there just aren't that many of them being parted out cheap. That's to their credit.

We picked up a couple Dragon chassis that we were able to get cheap, and have most of the work done to get our motor in them. If that works significantly better than our mods that we already have, we may look into picking up a Pro chassis when they get cheap.

(Everything has to be cheap, I've got a 3½ year old, and 6 month old twins, and they're gonna need sleds too eventually)

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
I rode a 2014 M8 for a few minutes. Nothing wrong with the chassis. I've been on a 201? XP800, also nice, and a brand new 2014 Pro 800. Also spent a fair amount of time on a 2012 M1100 with a 215+ hp kit in it. None of them made me want to give up my King Cat mod. Admittedly, it's highly modified, and doesn't handle like a King anymore. There's build thread in the Member's build forum if you're interested.

The 1100 came closest, if I'm honest, it's nearly as much fun as our 1500 triple. That's a different comparison than my everyday sled though.

What we're actually looking at doing is putting our big bored King motors into lighter, newer chassis. Cat is out because the motor simply won't fit without a ton of work. Doo is pretty well out because there just aren't that many of them being parted out cheap. That's to their credit.

We picked up a couple Dragon chassis that we were able to get cheap, and have most of the work done to get our motor in them. If that works significantly better than our mods that we already have, we may look into picking up a Pro chassis when they get cheap.

(Everything has to be cheap, I've got a 3½ year old, and 6 month old twins, and they're gonna need sleds too eventually)

How does that saying go ??? ..."There's No Replacement For Displacement" :face-icon-small-hap

3 youngster there nothing cheap when it comes to raising them.

DPG

Premium Features