• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

? Good lightweight rear skid and suspention for a RX1

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
A cheap way to go is to use a Cat M series rear skid. I did in mine and it worked pretty darn well and it was only a couple hundred bucks. You set the skid back from stock and it improves your approach angle. I bought a 141" Cat skid and it worked perfect for a 151" track. Once I added a 16" wide 162 Camo Extreme I had to add rail extensions. So, if you want a 162" go ahead and buy a 153' Cat skid.

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
You understand if you lighten the rear of the sled, the front will feel heavier? Take as much weight off the front as possible to get a better "balance". Sled will feel lighter. Until you get stuck then it's still a big girl!

N
I did the same with my RX1M by putting a Cat M8 141 skid with anti stabs and fabbed aluminum drop brackets. I think it dropped 25lbs at least. I ran my 2" Challenger on it with a Hartman tunnel extension. The front does still feel a little heavy. One guy I know did the same mod, but lowered the front bolt by an inch and the sled transferred better and felt lighter on the front. I used the stock mounting holes in the front but the rear holes were obviously in a different location. No issues and the sled and suspension is still going strong.

Fairly simple mod to do, but go with the later model M series skid with the updated rails so the track doesn't go bango tight on compression.

Premium Features