• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2003 summit smoked primary clutch

P
Feb 16, 2011
So I have a 2003 summit 800ho ZX that I have been trying to tune just right. Finally put on the boyesen reeds and all. I just bought a purple secondary spring to put in but have not done so yet. Last saturday I was just going down the trail and it started to run like crap. After investigation, my primary clutch isnt opening up and to get the belt off i had to cut it. My primary opens up about 1" and then revving it up closed the clutch all the way. Im not sure if I have a broken helix or what. Havent pulled it apart yet. Plan on either rebuilding it and putting a kit in it or replacing it. Ive tried to read about the best clutch kits but they all seem pretty similar. Whats the best option (price wise too) for a kit OR what other years (preferrably newer) that will go on this sled????

sledr4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
There is no helix in the primary. make sure you have the set of forks to hold the buttons or sliders in upon disassembly.

You may have a broken spring or possibly one the bushings is working its way out of the clutch. Happened to me a while ago and could not figure it out until we opened it up.

M
Oct 24, 2008
Fort St James
if you haven't had it done lately I would get someone who knows what its supposed to look like in there to go over it. Make sure all the bushings are in good shape etc. If that stuff isn't fixed up first, a clutch kit isn't going to do jack for you. Once that is all fixed then throw in a clutch kit and hold on tight, cause it's going to be a whole new beast

P
Feb 16, 2011
So I popped open the primary clutch last night and found that the spring wasnt broken. The only thing I could find that looked out of place or broken looks to be a metal retainer or sleeve that is about one inch in diameter. Anyone know what that is or where I can get one? It was floating around in there scarring the metal inside the clutch

sledr4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
sounds like the bushing that belongs in the spring cap. Should be able to order the bushing if the cap is not damaged or a whole new cap with the bushing installed.

sledr4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
make sure to clean the cap out good prior to installing the new bushing. If you heat up the cap with a heat gun or put it in the oven for a little bit and put the bushing in the freezer for 30 minutes or so, they will go together easier.

you also need to coat the outside of the bushing with some red locktite or something of the sort to insure it does not work its way back out again. You might be able to stake the edge once installed, but be careful not to damage the edge of the busing.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Replace the whole cap assy. with bushing....don't waste your time doing the bushing as it will likely come out again. JMO-

D
Mar 14, 2012
2003 summit 800

i set my factory clutches to 6 and cant get over 7800 rpm climbing.

Flat land it will go to 7900.

Any suggestions

Premium Features