• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Garmin GPS/radio questions

97exc

Dec 14, 2008
CO
Never used any of these, hope you guys can clarify a few things. I am looking at getting a Rino 530 but need 2 radios. Would a cheaper Rino, like a 110, be OK for the second rider? I need it to be able to report their position to the 530 and vice versa if possible.

If not, what would you suggest? I only need one 530. The only options I need from the other device would be the 2-way radio and the position reporting.

giddyup

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
deer valley sask.
radio

i dont know if the 110 is 5watt, you might want to get a 120 or even an older 520 or 530 that were out before the hcx models came out, the hcx has a better reception, i would loose gps signal with my old 530 but after i switched to the 530hcx no problems, we have been using them in the mountains and out hunting for several year, they work great to call help to you if you are stuck away from our group, we ride in some treed area's that is impossible to keep track of everyone, good luck

907riders.com

Mar 23, 2009
Wasilla, AK
www.907riders.com
Giddyup is spot on with the response..

go with a 120 as the second gps for the 5watt capability.

My son (who is grounded) runs a 120 on his sled and I carry the 530hcx.

Works great that way..

I also have to give Garmin huge props for customer service. I destroyed my 530 when I flipped my quad on the side of a mountain. Mailed it to Garmin and for $130.00 they sent me a new unit including a new battery.

M

MarleneeSteven

Aug 17, 2009
Idaho Falls, ID
www.mountainsnowadventures.com
I have a variety of the Rhinos...a 530 for me, and a variety of 110/120's for wife and friends when we ride (left over from guiding). IMO, you can't beat them. It's so handy to be able to poll your position to other riders. I've never had an issue with a 110 not being able to reach me, but I try to keep everyone within a mile or so.

One of the better investments I've made.

Premium Features