• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help! Drop and roll install, apex?

L
Nov 10, 2009
NW MT
I didn't get any instructions with my vanamburg drop and roll on my apex. I'm not sure what to do about the bearing housing on the clutch side. Any pics or info would be great.

S
Feb 4, 2010
Utah
so what did you end up doing? I was interested in doing the same thing to my apex and was wondering how the drop and roll from vanamburg was working....

anyone??

catssuk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Edgerton Wi.
if i remember..ill try to take some pictures of mine this weekend and post them on here..my sled is 600 miles from me but ill be up for the weekend to check it out..

sledfvr

Lifetime Membership
Apr 7, 2008
NW MT
That was on my sled. Loneman helped me work on it and I posted the help question on his computer. It is a lot of work. I used the stock tunnel and the coolers are in the way and have to be moved and cut and re-welded. The bearing for the clutch side doesn't work anymore so I used a clamshell like on the speedo and had to get a new bearing. It took two long days to get it all together. You have to cut to fit the plastic and footwell.

catssuk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Edgerton Wi.
heres my pto side..i didnt take any from my mag side..but i can next weekend when i get back..chris.
photo-1.jpg

1.jpg

catssuk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Edgerton Wi.
im pretty sure its the factory carrier..its just folded 90' like in the picture..i no its the stock bearing because i destroyed one this past march and just replaced it with a stock pto drive shaft bearing for a 07 apex..you can see the damage on the carrier from me driving this almost 25 miles out of the back country..the bearing was basically gone by the time i loaded it up..i did a little repair on the carrier to get the new bearing to seat well in it..now i carry a spare(bearing) so i can swap it out if it ever does that again..my mag side i no the outer plastin is cut and there is a custom made aluminum case welded to help protect the chaincase from damage when it hits chit. :face-icon-small-hap .so far i havent hit anything that damaged the case..i just bent the crap out of my left side a arms fron a very large under the snow object coming down a monster hill in a somewhat controlled high speed motion..with the brakes smoking at the bottom :face-icon-small-ton

S
Feb 4, 2010
Utah
Looks good. Thanks for the pics. It would be interesting to see the other side if you get a chance to take some pics. So the Vanamburg template is a decent layout for the drop and roll ?? Looks like it.

catssuk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Edgerton Wi.
ill take some this coming sat..i was to busy to this last weekend..ill post them on here in 7 days of the mag side.on nov 6th

S
Feb 4, 2010
Utah
Perfect, thank you. I think the main question is what the jack shaft carrier and bearing look like on the secondary side. There is an insert in the bulkhead for the bearing for the stock location. Sounds like most just use the same carrier and bearing as the drive shaft and notch it to fit in the new lower position.

catssuk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Edgerton Wi.
i wish i took pictures when i had the entire pto side apart..the original location was all welded up for strength.with new metal installed in the old holes..i dont remember any slot in the driveshaft,,its i think a 1" diameter shaft.

catssuk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Edgerton Wi.
i forgot i took this picture just before i replaced my driveshaft bearing and speedo pick up..yes i did drive this out of the mountians almost 25 miles like this,,it smoked a belt and somehow didnt destroy my track even though is was racheting bad on my avid extroverts.you can somewhat see where the old area is with the metal work on the upper left side.
photo-2.jpg

S
Feb 4, 2010
Utah
This is the area that we are talking about, just behind the secondary clutch. This is an example of making a new carrier to use the stock jack shaft bearing and retaining ring on an RX1. Another option that some are using is the drive shaft carrier and bearing in this location. It will be interesting to see what yours has when you get a chance to take a picture of it.

RX1 JS Carrier.jpg

L
Nov 10, 2009
NW MT
This is the area that we are talking about, just behind the secondary clutch. This is an example of making a new carrier to use the stock jack shaft bearing and retaining ring on an RX1. Another option that some are using is the drive shaft carrier and bearing in this location. It will be interesting to see what yours has when you get a chance to take a picture of it.
finally, thats what i was looking for! We used the drive shaft carrier and bearing worked good. thanx for the post scram.

Premium Features