• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

700 rmk clutch problems!

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
I have a buddy whos 100% stock 06 700 IQ RMK with 160 miles (yes 160 total miles) on it cant keep belts in it?

I have checked clutch alignment, motor mounts, both seem to be perfect, installed some SLP vents on the clutch side. The torque stop behind the primary was a bit tore up on the rubber part so I did replace it.

sled seems to work fine until you make a pull or two on the hill then the belt gets so hot the sled looses all forward momentum!

Im not that familiar withe the IQ's, but were there any problems with factory clutch calibrations? I have not ridden the sled, its what hes telling me its doing when he takes it out.

any help appreciated!

G

GREICO1

Apr 12, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Belts and shouldn't get that hot. Warm would be ok, but should stay cool if clutched correctly. Maybe Try more weight if it will pull it, or adjustable weights like Thunder Weighs. That way you can load the heel to get the belt squeeze, but keep the tips a little lighter without having to grind stock weights to get RPM. If you do it right, I bet you could run 8-10 grams heavier and the belt will last a hell of a lot longer.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Yeah I though about the 80 that he was running, just figured that there might be some problems elsewhere.

Ill pull appart the clutches see what I find, and throw a 115 on it and see what happens!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
How did you check the engine mounts???
Did you remove the engine from the sled... remove the mount and flex it while holding it in a vise??? this is the only way to check them, a visual will not do it

What are your helix, secondary spring, primary spring, weights?
What is the side clearance on the belt?
What gearing is in the sled?

With the back of the sled lifted off the ground and the belt off... does it feel like the brake is dragging?

More to check... but this is the starting place.

I second what Super Dave has to say... run only the 3211115 belt.

I also suggest you get the primary balanced and have the clutch properly shimmed for the 115 belt.

Sometimes the primary's are just "off" and will not work well. I've personally run into this a few times.

Pull off the primary, pull the spring, re-install the cover and check that the sheave slides freely on the spider.

Has the sled ever been crashed or rolled?

Last edited:

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
MH pretty much nailed all the vital info..

you must pull the motor to check the motor mounts..

--replace both clutching springs
--replace motor mounts
--115 belt
--setup clutching to spec, and replace the helix with a better one

come to the polaris 900 section...this is a baby 900 so all rules and info apply to this one as well. ;)

good luck, hope all works out for you

Premium Features