• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

customer service wont talk about snowmobiles

Vin and info

Sorry typo new in fall 2009, warrenty up in oct of 2010
Vin # is SN1PH8FSX9C688855 ALL Stock unless the dealer did something. They have done all service.

Correct that i only had one year. so yea the warrenty was up in oct. and the machine died mid jan. when we finally started getting snow. Was never offered a 2 yr warrenty or i would have taken it especially for only 100 more. but im guessing its more like 500. Didnt even run long enough to blow a single belt.

Milage wise it seemed as if it was programed to quit at 1000.

If your sending a letter to the attorney general or polaris feel free to send me a copy, was creating a file but it has already turned into a cabinet.

Starting on the phone with polaris monday morning again. one way or another its time to get to the bottom of this.

Last edited:

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Sorry typo new in fall 2009, warrenty up in oct of 2010
Vin # is SN1PH8FSX9C688855 ALL Stock unless the dealer did something. They have done all service.

Correct that i only had one year. so yea the warrenty was up in oct. and the machine died mid jan. when we finally started getting snow. Was never offered a 2 yr warrenty or i would have taken it especially for only 100 more. but im guessing its more like 500. Didnt even run long enough to blow a single belt.

Milage wise it seemed as if it was programed to quit at 1000.

If your sending a letter to the attorney general or polaris feel free to send me a copy, was creating a file but it has already turned into a cabinet.

Starting on the phone with polaris monday morning again. one way or another its time to get to the bottom of this.

Well, from that information, I would bet that you are SOL....past the warranty period, and the dealer is not fighting for you (by sending YOU to talk to Polaris)...welcome to the club of disgruntled owners....

Yea i probably am sol but it would have been nice to have been offered a 2 yr in the first place then i might not be disgruntled.
And Since im not out riding i might as well let polaris know about it. Its not like i can afford a new sled, anyone want to buy this one? didnt think so.
Since my off season is spring and fall. I figure i will spend every min. i would be out riding, calling, writing letters, etc...
Dont have anything else to do and probably wont have a season next year either. unless someone gives me a better summer job.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
It is definately unfortunate that your dealer did not offer you the option that was available of the extened warranty... you would have been covered.

Pretty cut and dry on Polaris' part... it is out of warranty by 6 months... they (nor any OEM for that matter) would cover it.

What, specifically, is needs to be done on the sled... maybe us forum members can help figure it out.

Good luck (sincerly)!!

Yes it would still be under warrenty

Would still be covered and am begining to think dealer didnt offer because they saw $ signs.

At this point im ready to quit snowmobiling, and dont think this thing will ever run right. So why spend more money to fix it? Even if i fix it, doubt if i could find someone willing to buy it. I know im not willing to go boondocking on it.

As far as exactly what needs to be fixed it sure would be nice for the shop to let me know already?

Say they can get away with just a re-nic, but i suspect it needs more. it is a top end rebuild, again, and because it happened about 100mi previously there is a cause yet to be found.

Would any one be interested in renting me a sled for say $1000 a tank of gas? Cause thats basically what polaris did

Last edited:
Causes

Do a quick search around i think there is more than 1 cause.
I agree the mapping and slapping are part of the problem. But the list should also include, about 50 other things from oil caps to clearance issues.

Im broke from repair bills already. No more money in the fun fund. Cant afford all the fixes or to ship my parts all over. I chose to do good business so i wont intentionally crash it for an insurace claim.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I don't need to do a search, I've been around this motor enough to know. The mapping is a major issue with the dual injector setup and "the fix" will solve the clearance/ piston skirt issue.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I don't need to do a search, I've been around this motor enough to know. The mapping is a major issue with the dual injector setup and "the fix" will solve the clearance/ piston skirt issue.

Add a PCV for the mapping with the fix and you are set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S
Jan 9, 2011
09 800

My 09' 800 went down as well. It washed out on the intake and exhaust side of the pisten. I was told this is an Ethanol issue. Fact or fiction? Are you all getting the same manner of failure? It was less than 1000 miles after the recall. Over heating mostly on the east coast so I was told, was the recall issue. Shell, maybe you have this insite?
Judd, I'm in Wy. but can scream on paper if you think it'll help.

flooding the mail box is always helpful

I figure my money is better spent on paper and stamps. They will never change if we dont let them no about how unsatisfied we are with their product. This is difficulct since they wont talk so paper is the only option.

The other problem i have with the dealers (no offense) is that almost every fix was made buy a polaris shop. Polaris is not working with us, kinda seems like the dealers are3nt either. They all say they are tired of repairs and charging customers lots of money, but they all still sell polaris products. Any way something is not adding up.

I doubt the paper will do anything, except end up in the trash when it gets there. Im sure the CEO's will be drinking margaritas at the new plant in mexico. But then again you never know if the stack overflows it might end up on the right desk.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Polaris Snowmobiles are still made in the united states.

I'm not sure how to reply to that comment ? What does it mean when a sticker on the bottom of the throttle bodies says assembled in Mexico on our 2010 800 ? Was it a joke on the assembly line ?

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I'm not sure how to reply to that comment ? What does it mean when a sticker on the bottom of the throttle bodies says assembled in Mexico on our 2010 800 ? Was it a joke on the assembly line ?

The throttle body was made in Mexico. The sled itself and the motor is made in the USA.

No other snowmobile manufacture can say that.

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
The same sticker was on Mikuni flatslide carbs long before Polaris thought of building atvs there. (Doo and Cat carbs also had the same sticker) Just so happens Mikuni uses the same place to assemble throttle bodies. Go figure, the japanese outsourcing to Mexico for cheaper labor...

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
The throttle body was made in Mexico. The sled itself and the motor is made in the USA.

No other snowmobile manufacture can say that.

That would be the biggest part of the problem right there. Just goes back to what I've said before. Polaris is willing to cut corners on tolerances and inferior parts. It's the American way to save a dollar at someone else's expense. That says a lot about this American company. It's spinning a roulette wheel and hoping your corner cutting pays off. In this case it hasn't. The updates, labor, constant warranties, loss of customers. They would have been far better off recalling the things in 08 instead of dragging this out. However, history shows that this is not new to Polaris. Early 800's experienced crank failures. Granted not at this rate, but it was an issue. They dodged the issue until warranties expired. The 900 was a disaster that they also swept under the carpet. I know I've learned from this and my next purchase will show that. It won't be a Polaris.

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I hear what you are saying Monte but I don't think the build quality is poor. It is the design. The guys in the plant assemble what is given to them. If Polaris gives out of spec pistons, what are the workers to do? So I guess I am defending that American Workers can have high build quality.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
I hear what you are saying Monte but I don't think the build quality is poor. It is the design. The guys in the plant assemble what is given to them. If Polaris gives out of spec pistons, what are the workers to do? So I guess I am defending that American Workers can have high build quality.

Oh, I totally agree. That was the point I was trying to make. Polaris has some serious design flaws in this motor. Maybe it works good for snow X where the motor is tore down often, but it is not a consumer friendly design. And as you stated the parts are out of spec. The assembly line doesn't know any better. They are just putting together what is in front of them. They don't realize that the motor they are assembling is completely wore out before it is even put in the sled.

The same holds true for warranty work at the dealer. They are handed parts that are out of spec and told to install it. They have no choice and no other option to correctly fix the problem. That is the extent of the Polaris warranty.

My blame goes right upstairs to the head honcho's. Every single one sitting on that board of directors making more money than they are worth. The fault lies with them. It is ultimately their decision to use inferior parts and send it out the door thus it is their responsibility to get these things fixed. If you took away their salaries and gave them one of these problematic sleds and denied them warranty they would soon be singing a different tune.

I just can't get over the fact that we can't get something accomplished. POLARIS KNOWINGLY SOLD US A PRODUCT THAT FALLS OUTSIDE OF POLARIS'S OWN SPECIFICATIONS. IT DOES NOT PERFORM AS ADVERTISED. AND THE WARRANTY DOES NOT FIX THE PROBLEM. THESE SLEDS ARE A FAULTY PRODUCT.

If you go to Target and buy a blender and it doesn't work. You don't get handed a new electric motor that doesn't work to put in it. Instead you return the dang thing.

Premium Features