• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1999 Powder special 700 Crappy Plastic Floats

M

mtnxtreme

Dec 18, 2007
Has anyone else had this problem, sled floods the crankcase when sitting, checked my needle and seat per my dealer and the needle and seat are shot, not holding up when sitting but OK for riding. Cat wants $90.00 per side, as they only come in a needle. seat, float combo. which are plastic. Can anyone tell me if this fix lasted, or if there is an aftermarket kit for it, or conversion to conventional floats in a flat slide. I wonder too, if this was a one year deal that had probs

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
I would almost bet that the needle and seat are ok. There is an o-ring that goes around the plastic seat where it goes into the carb body, and over time especially if sitting and not being used it gets hard and lets fuel leak right by. It will run ok, but flood if you sit for a little while and try to start it. Part number is 6505-875 and probably run a buck each.

M

mtnxtreme

Dec 18, 2007
Sudco does'nt have that exact carb on there, just the usual flat slides I'm familiar with from 01 and up with non-crappy plastic floats, where you can actually change the needle and seat for like 5 bucks, not $90. My dealer told me, ethanol is teariing up needles and seats this yhear, he's actually out of stock on them. I tried replacing just the o-ring, as the old one was pretty bad, but it still leaks :face-icon-small-fro

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
try a different dealer, maybe dealer is boning you not Cat:face-icon-small-sho

M

mtnxtreme

Dec 18, 2007
put differant carbs on or just put a valve in gas line to turn fuel off when sitting

If I did put on a set of later flatslides, does anyone know when they started and stopped the dreaded plastic floats? And how important is the TPS plug on the carb, I checked it and it does wire back into CDI, just in case the other carbs don't have the plug or same plug, is it possiblle maybe I can just put brass floats from the other carbs with a conventional needle and seat or are they not interchangeable.

M

mtnxtreme

Dec 18, 2007
You know, after looking at the Cat microfiche,all the 99 and up Flatslides have this same plastic float set-up, I could swear I saw Flats with conventional floats somewhere, maybe they were older. I just don't understand why you just can't buy a single needle, without having to buy the floats with it!?!?!?!?!?

M

mtnxtreme

Dec 18, 2007
Bit the bullet and got them from Cat, no one else had them, sled runs much less rich now, and burns less fuel, dealer told me ethanol is killing needles, if you're runnin rich this may be your problem.

Premium Features