• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Blue Mtn Revision Public Meeting - Baker City 4/20 5pm

O

Oregongirl

Jul 25, 2002
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Hey folks - if you can attend this meeting, please do so!

Sunridge Inn
Baker City
5pm-8pm

I just received the following from the City of Halfway.

CITY OF HALFWAY
1558 E. RECORD ST. P 0 Box 735
HALFWAY, OR 97834
PHONE: (541) 742-4741 FAX (541) 742-4742​

April 16th, 2010

Re: Legislation Bill “Oregon Eastside Forest Restoration, Old Growth Protection and Jobs Act 2009”

To whom this may concern:

Hello I am a member of the community that falls in the area of the Wallowa Whitman Forest. As a member of this area I have concerns about the proposed plan to add on new wilderness areas. Looking at the map of the proposed action, it looks as if you want to include what we call Tabletop and Sugarloaf, these areas must not be added into the proposed plan as they are areas that will impact our economy in a negative way. On the map that shows the proposed action areas it is marked ‘1B’ this area will impact Baker County’s economy in a negative way.

Eastern Oregon is made up of smaller cities and towns unlike the west side of Oregon. Baker County is part of Eastern Oregon and our main industry is tourism and recreation. Our Economy needs both tourism and recreation in order to survive.

Baker County’s unemployment rate as of Feb. 2010 was 9.0%. This figure will grow larger if you add on more wilderness areas in the Wallowa Whitman National Forest. The communities that surround this forest area will be impacted to the point of having to lay off more people. Without the use all our mountainous areas we will lose recreational tourism thus forcing more layoffs and raising the unemployment rates in this area to an all time high.

The Small Town of Halfway Oregon will be impacted the most by adding ‘1B’ on the map to wilderness area, this community’s main source of income is recreation and tourism. We fear that if this proposal takes place than this small town will be nothing more than a ghost town leaving people in the stores, restaurants, motel, lodging, and recreational guide services out of work. If these businesses close then people will have to relocate which will hurt our school.

As members of Baker County and Halfway Oregon we urge you to stop the proposed plan to add on ‘1B’ of the map to wilderness area. Our Communities can not take the impact economically.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
We attended both the one in Baker and the one in lagrande, and well OHHHHH. There is place just like the one underlined above in our riding area behind Union, so my letters will start. Which would be the most produtive place to send them too? The people that where presenting the meeting said they wanted imput, but not sure writing letters to them is going to make much of an impact. Any suggestions? Thanks for the post Susie.

O

Oregongirl

Jul 25, 2002
Suitcase - Todd and I are attending the public meeting in Portland this week. You're a SAWS member, right? We'll be sending an Alert (a call to action) the first week of May. In it we'll make recommendations for comments and who to send them to.

If you have specific information PLEASE contact myself or Todd so that we can include it in our Alert. We encourage all SAWS members to be involved in helping us prepare Alerts for their local riding areas. Help us communicate to others, so those who aren't local, can understand the impact and can thus write thorough comment letters.

susier@snowmobile-alliance.org
toddw@snowmobile-alliance.org

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
Thank you susie, yes I'm a SAWS menber. I am have trouble with my e-mail on the out going, from my lap top, working to fix it. I might have to send any information on our area to your privite measage in your profile. Need to make sure of the location and area name, so to not give you the wrong info. I will go back and look at my notes. I am thinking it is the bennit peak area in the eagle creek drainage, I will check. thanks for all you help..

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
Ya, levi this is part of the new blue mt. plan revision that they have to up date every 20 yrs. Bennit peak is in the plan to close it to summer time use. This is where they will start. Winter time use will be next. The area goes from the existing wilderness to the 77 road, from halfway
all the way back to Mt. Fanny. I will put up the link so you can see the map, and the plan. This is the same map that Oregon wild is useing to make there push for more Wilderness, and they want everything in yellow on this map to be locked up. Mandi and I are writing letters to the FS and to our Congresmen, it is all we can do.
This is a small part of the plan, there will be thousands of more acres in the blue mts. as you will see on the revision plan. A lot of small towns will lose much needed reveune if they are allowed to put in to effect all of this plan. If we don't oppose the areas in this plan that affect us and our access then the plan will move into effect, and we lose a little more. IMO they are taking baby steps to get it all locked up. This is the next step for the bunny lovers.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/uma/blue_mtn_planrevision/proposedaction

Click on Proposed map and take a look.

Last edited:
O

Oregongirl

Jul 25, 2002
Limited Motorized Undeveloped is intended to be closed to motorized WHEELED vehicles. I hope that all you that recreate in these forests are getting commentary guidance and recommendations from your clubs and state organizations. When SAWS publishes our Alert (in the next 48 hours or so) we will ONLY be addressing snowmobiling access, and snowmobiles ARE allowed in the yellow areas on the map.

However, on this note.....I really need someone who is a local rider from Enterprise to contact me before I can send the Alert. I've left VM for the OSSA club presidents in LaGrande and Enterprise and they haven't returned my calls yet. :(

susie.rainsberry@comcast.net

Premium Features