• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

please help with '02 summit 800 project!

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
hi all.

my buddy is just getting back into sledding, and he just picked up a wicked deal on an '02 summit 800, 144 track. it needs a little tlc, but he would also like to mod it up a bit. as it sits, it is totally stock except for an exhaust can.

i am helping him out, but i don't know much about the zx's, so i have a few questions.

first of all, i have the stock 153" skid off of my m7, and i'm thinking it would be sweet to put that on there. 153" tracks are pretty easy to find here on the forums, but if i'm not mistaken, the pitch isn't the same.
is it possible to get 3" pitch drivers for the zx? where would i find them?
also, what gearing should he be running with a longer track? i have no idea what the stock gearing would be.
what is the max lug height we can run (with/without a drop and roll)?
where do we get parts/info on dropping and rolling the chaincase if we have to?

we are thinking that the top end needs freshening up, and i am most familiar with rktek. the drop in pistions and head kit is probably the way he would want to go, but i'm open to hearing any other suggestions you guys might have.

as for clutching, it is also totally stock. not sure what mods are out there for these clutches, or what works best, but suggestions would be great. we ride mainly between 5500ft-7500ft.

are there any interesting tunnel mods to do along with the extension we would have to do?

are there many good aftermarket seat options?

can you all please post links to parts sources?

much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

J

jwill302

Dec 6, 2007
il. 60073
i am in the same boat. i have a 153 attack 20 in my 02 zx. the pitch is different. zx stock pitch is 2.52. i am running 3.0 wahl brother 7 tooth drivers. the 2 1/4 fits in the tunnel on 7 tooth drivers. the stock rear suspension will work with a skid set back and big wheel kit. if you doo run the 3.0 track on this sled run an anti stab kit. i have read alot about drop and roll kits and almost everyone that has done one says they are not worth the time. the people say once its done its great but would not do it again. 2002 zx has a slight d & r from the years prior. i have heard other guys getting 2 1/2" tracks under w/out d & r. i have not been able to find out a $$ amount as to how much it cost to do a d & r. having the chaincase lengthened just sounds like its pricey. hope this helps feel free to ask any other question. lots of info on this site. i have a set of snow eliminators for sale if this sled has the tappered running boards if interested.

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
thanks man! glad to know that this can work, and glad to know that the d&r isn't necessary. i didn't really want to do it if we didn't have to.

as for the tunnel extension, i'd like to incorporate a popular mod that is going on with the cats these days. check out this thread to get an idea of what i mean... http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172286&highlight=van

is there anything out there like this, or are we gonna be doing a custom job?

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
Just have to specify what year of sled you have when ordering drive shaft sprockets, however have to make sure that the drivers will clear the tunnel.

I have a most excellent clutch kit for the 02 model, good enough that I get repeat customers.
it c/w helix, pri. spring, pins. Install: 17g (3500~8000) 16g(8000'+) Clicker 3 Use stock secondary spring and drive belt.
Calibrate with stock gear or lower. Ability to accept right down to 19:47 ratio with little tuning.

It's on sale for $245 (save $30)
Video about primary clutch 1
Video about primary clutch 2
Secondary illustration for 600R(reverse) & 700R(Reverse) sport, 800 sport, X, HM, HMXI RX

138113324.jpg

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
hi all.

my buddy is just getting back into sledding, and he just picked up a wicked deal on an '02 summit 800, 144 track. it needs a little tlc, but he would also like to mod it up a bit. as it sits, it is totally stock except for an exhaust can.

i am helping him out, but i don't know much about the zx's, so i have a few questions.

first of all, i have the stock 153" skid off of my m7, and i'm thinking it would be sweet to put that on there. 153" tracks are pretty easy to find here on the forums, but if i'm not mistaken, the pitch isn't the same.
is it possible to get 3" pitch drivers for the zx? where would i find them?
also, what gearing should he be running with a longer track? i have no idea what the stock gearing would be.
what is the max lug height we can run (with/without a drop and roll)?
where do we get parts/info on dropping and rolling the chaincase if we have to?

we are thinking that the top end needs freshening up, and i am most familiar with rktek. the drop in pistions and head kit is probably the way he would want to go, but i'm open to hearing any other suggestions you guys might have.

as for clutching, it is also totally stock. not sure what mods are out there for these clutches, or what works best, but suggestions would be great. we ride mainly between 5500ft-7500ft.

are there any interesting tunnel mods to do along with the extension we would have to do?

are there many good aftermarket seat options?

can you all please post links to parts sources?

much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

Tell your chumm "Welcome Back". Me and my chumm took about 10 yrs off from High Skewl on before we were able to git back into it. So I completely understand.

The OEM 144 was actusally a decent track on that sled. But the 151 sucked. No idea what the diff is, but we have one of each and there seemed to me to be a night and day diff. ??? The 151 was gone after the second season!

Drive shaft is 1-1/8", and I run Wahls as well. I highly recommend a Wahl extrovert upgrade if running the Doo skid. In dry powder is not an issue, but if you get in heavy stuff where your pputing the power to it - they will ratchet. Bad enough so that I have blown a cpl chains from it. Extros are the cats pajamas for these.

I have had RKT pistons in mine for many yrs. Have his "drop ins" (two ring jobbies) in two sleds currently. Just run a compression check to see where it is at.

Stock gearing may be a bit tall. 19/43 is about perfect for the 144. A 15 wide silent or a Hyvo chain setup is highly recommended if ponying up for new gears. I have 15 wide top gear on ours, but it needs some modifications to counter bore it down to fit the nut proper like. (if you know someone with a lathe) You can just flip the bottom gear over to keep the extra links from rubbing the back of the case.

You doo NOT want to set the skid back on the '02. It is already a cpl inches further back than the yrs before, or even since. (?) As I understand it - they moved the skid back up on the Revs. ???

The '02 chassis is a good frame! Between the OEM setback, a little more track clearance, and the wide footboards - it really was quite a step up from previous yrs IMO. But the newer ones go better yet....

Last edited:
P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
thanks guys. dynamo, i'll definitely suggest your clutch kit. hopefully he goes for it. ps. great videos.

and thanks to you too ox. great info. i also run some of rkt's stuff in my m7 and i love it. once again, if i can convice him to spend the money, i'll steer him in that direction.

so i'm looking at lining him up with some 7 tooth 3" pitch drivers that i found here: http://www.hiperf.com/cgi-bin/sh000...ip_Drive_Sprockets.html#a581_2d908#a581_2d908

in order to run the arctic cat 153" tracks. anyone foresee any problems with these before i order them?

Last edited:

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
You can put the tunnel ext. from the '00 151 700 Highmark on it to get the tunnel out to where you want it, that was from 136 to the 151, got it on my '02 when I put the 156 under it.
If you want a bunch more tunnel clearance, put longer drop brackets on the rear, I went 5 1/4", and you'll have to drop the front arm mount to within about an inch from the bottom of the tunnel get get your transfer back. Been running this setup on my '02 for a few years with the 156x16x2.5 Camo Xtreme track. 3" avid extros, 19/45 gears, stock chain, have to take idler out to get stock chain on, then replace idler, should replace my stock chain with longer as this is still the stock chain.
Find a Boss Highrise seat, and put taller handle bar risers on, I run an 8" riser with PowerMadd throttle cable ext., stock brake line, just unbundle wiring around brake line to give it a little slack. Replacing stock hood and can with lighter aftermarket helps weight a whole bunch. And get rid of sway bar, stiffen up front shock springs to help with swaybar being gone.
Dunno, but quite a few guys here have had issues with Wahls extro timing, maybe ironed out now, but have never had issue with Avid extros, for what it's worth.

Front arm relocate.JPG IMG_0035.JPG wildchild drop bracket1.JPG IMG_0034.JPG IMG_0033.JPG

Last edited:
P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
damn, thats a pretty serious set of drop brackets. i did something similar on my old 670x, dropping the front bolt as well, but not quite as drastic as what you did. made a huge difference though.

like i mentioned though, i'm gonna give my buddy the stock 153" skid from my m7 set it up accordingly on the zx, and probably run an attack 20 track.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
No

I have heard of others running them. And I have seen some gears available somewhere once upon a time. Not sure where? Maybe Wahl? Maybe Team? I don't remember.

I know that my chumm with a Pol and stock Hyvo has never had any chain issues. Of course - he doesn't have any real ratchet issues either....

Personally I like the 15W. It is cheaper to go this route as I didn't need to buy a new bottom gear. But if a guy is lookin' to change ratios and would be buying a new bottom gear anyway - well maybe the Hyvo is something to look into? As far as the 15W, like I said - unless you have some already altered top gear, you need to put it on a diet on a lathe. I can post pics of mine if someone wants it, but they are really fuzzy, but can give you the understanding of what needs done... ???

...actually - mine is torn apart right now. I could prolly git better pics of it I guess...

L
Dec 7, 2007
SWEDEN
I have heard of others running them.
And I have seen some gears available somewhere once upon a time.
Not sure where ?
Maybe Wahl ? Maybe Team ?
I don't remember.

If a guy is lookin' to change ratios and would be buying a new bottom gear anyway - well maybe the HyVo is something to look into ?

Yes, both Wahl Bros and TEAM have the HyVo gears and chain for Ski-Doo.

I also looking into this HyVo thing since I moving away from 13W,

But I have not decide yet if I will run HyVo or 15W :face-icon-small-ton
...but I think that I will run HyVo since it is stronger , lighter , quieter than a 15W chain/gear.

Last edited:

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
Quieter? :face-icon-small-con

You doo realize that the 13 and 15 are known as "Silent Chain" eh?
(actual industrial name)

I don't have loud exh on mine, but I can't think that I ever heard my chain.

However - my chumm with a Pol and the Hyvo CAN hear his chain.
(especially if we git it too tight...)

J

jwill302

Dec 6, 2007
il. 60073
You can put the tunnel ext. from the '00 151 700 Highmark on it to get the tunnel out to where you want it, that was from 136 to the 151, got it on my '02 when I put the 156 under it.
If you want a bunch more tunnel clearance, put longer drop brackets on the rear, I went 5 1/4", and you'll have to drop the front arm mount to within about an inch from the bottom of the tunnel get get your transfer back. Been running this setup on my '02 for a few years with the 156x16x2.5 Camo Xtreme track. 3" avid extros, 19/45 gears, stock chain, have to take idler out to get stock chain on, then replace idler, should replace my stock chain with longer as this is still the stock chain.
Find a Boss Highrise seat, and put taller handle bar risers on, I run an 8" riser with PowerMadd throttle cable ext., stock brake line, just unbundle wiring around brake line to give it a little slack. Replacing stock hood and can with lighter aftermarket helps weight a whole bunch. And get rid of sway bar, stiffen up front shock springs to help with swaybar being gone.
Dunno, but quite a few guys here have had issues with Wahls extro timing, maybe ironed out now, but have never had issue with Avid extros, for what it's worth.

i am in the market for drop brackets. where did you get that set from?

Premium Features