• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Seats?-Are Boss worth it?

B
Jun 17, 2009
Pemberton BC
I am riding a '02 700 with zx-x tunnel and I find that the width of seat is in my way. I ride standing 99% of the time. Has anyone modified their stock seat to make it narrower and remove the side part that sits below the top of the tunnel? does this make a difference?

The new Boss seats for the zx looks sweet, Is it worth spending the money or can the stocker be modded to achieve similar results. I know the Boss are way lighter.

Just curious what the used market price is for the stock seat with a brand new all black cover?

I saw a post somewhere that inferred that the high rise seat was too high to making the transition from one side to the other difficult. I am 6'2" if that makes a difference.

Thanks

BCWDS

M

mannix

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2008
I recently put a stock-height Boss on my 03 ZX; it is lighter (good), but what I did notice is A) it is narrower, less bulky and B) it is firmer. Got it from Fasterbyfuzzy, who makes some most excellent trailing arms for the ZX.

I kinda wanted a high-rise, but the price was right on this one. I doubt the high-rise would pose any problems switching sides, frankly (I'm 5' 8", 30" inseam), but I don't really want/need/feel like I should get the high-rise model.

That said, if one came along at a good price, I might try it - but I'm not disappointed (at all) with the one I got.

Iain

V
Sep 22, 2008
The new Boss seats are way sweet ,bought mine out of seattle for $340.00, from the Klim dealer ,I didnt want a hack job ,plus I would have spent that for a custom look anyhow,lost some weight ,taller for the legs when hitting the trails ,slimer design for throwing the leg over ,I dont hit the raised lip near the storeage, broke the plastic turn locks off when my foot would go by on the old stock seat ,being higher its more top heavy feel down the trails but all in all Im very pleased ,been out several times this year and no failed seat work manship.

D
BCW.... Google this dealer.... West Country Leisure Buck Lake (Alberta)

Boss seat for less than half the new price.

I switched the seat on a zx-x model 2001. The original seat was like new, but I liked the weight reduction more than anything with the Boss. The Boss is a little firmer and a bit narrower on top. East to take inside to dry because it stays on with 6 snaps and velcro.

Last edited:
B
Jun 17, 2009
Pemberton BC
Boss Seats

Thanks everyone..sounds like they are worth it.

Vmax1200 What dealer did you get yours from...I have some friends that live down that way maybe they could pick one up for me.

Dman..thanks for the tip. That seat they have looks like its the older model. With the price drop of the new ones it makes sense to go new.

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
There's a Boss high-rise for sale on www.bismanonline.com, $250. Located in Mandan,ND. Look under used snowmobiles, page 14.
Also a coulpe mesh hoods for zx chassis.

Last edited:

02SummitX800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2009
Where is the cheapest place that people have found in the US to buy boss seats?

R

racin_jayson

Sep 19, 2009
Whitehorse YT
I recently bought a Boss seat from gobigparts.com, It's like sitting on a completely different sled, i'm further forward and a lot higher up. I love it, worth every penny, the new style is really nice too, tons of storage.

B
Jun 17, 2009
Pemberton BC
Boss quality?

I have seen some threads that refer to issues with the quality of the new seats, zippers were an issue. Any experience?

I think I will have to order one from Randy. I am kinda over riding the horse and I need all the help I can get to keep up with my crazy friends.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
I modified my stock seat, I turkey a electric meat knife. LOL, and shaved the sides down and than also cut the plastic part that sits down on the side of the tunnel. I no longer feel like I am riding on a log. It cut a few lbs off of the seat, but it is still to low, next i am going to add some foam to the top of the seat to bring the seat height up, as I can not afford a BOSS seat.

mxz3.jpg

M
Nov 12, 2008
Flathead
I modified my stock seat, I turkey a electric meat knife. LOL, and shaved the sides down and than also cut the plastic part that sits down on the side of the tunnel. I no longer feel like I am riding on a log. It cut a few lbs off of the seat, but it is still to low, next i am going to add some foam to the top of the seat to bring the seat height up, as I can not afford a BOSS seat.

How narrow were you able to get by doing that??
I just dropped my stock seat off at the upholstry shop this afternoon
I cut the back storage section out to shorten it up a bit.
Might just have to go pick it back up to narrow it a little bit...:rolleyes:

Any issues with cuttin on it on the sides? Side to side movement up by the tank?

D
Dec 19, 2008
I have ran boss seats on all my doos and liked them this year I put an 03 rev seat on my Formula z 700 mountain mod sled I love it.. way better than boss 3" higher than stock where youneed it. very plush when you want to sit down... just need to know how to sew and have a zx seat frame you can hack up a little foam some spray glue a t-50 stapler with 1/4" staples and a sawzall... I can do a write up if you guys want... I always have ppl comenting on the look of the sled now.. new on the back old on the front... feels like your on a rev now...

V
Sep 22, 2008
Been out several times only problem, the zipper tangs broke off zipper body going to have yyk zippers installed .and the turbo tow strap the velcro frays off .other than that satisfied

Premium Features