• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SNOWEST FORUMS: Member Comments on "Letter to All Members"

Status
Not open for further replies.
P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
Wow, lots to read. I've had a busy day, and the last thing I really WANT to read is a lot of banter back and forth about a web forum, and the proposed changes. But I feel compelled to participate. If I don't participate, I am to blame for letting it happen un-opposed.

On the topic of why
There are really a small number of folks that are posting in this thread. But, I have read all the replies so far, and the objectors to this process far outnumber the supporters. Of those 'supporters', most of them wrote of their skepticism, but they would try it. I only saw a couple with pure support.
Many of us feel that these changes were shoved down our throats, without our input, or consent. When the site slowed, and you learned the equipment was near max capacity, personally, I feel you should have un-done those changes, until the membership was educated and consulted.

On the topic of cost(how much):
I posted earlier about the prices. And the principle of the matter has me concerned. At this time, I'm not going to get too excited about $10 per year. But, based on the proposed scale, I'll be grandfathered in, and only if I pay for 3 years. (more on this later) I could really care less about 10 bucks, even 30 bucks. In reality, we spill more than that each month.

on the topic of changing to a pay site
There are a few basic principles we should understand, and one of them is that not everyone votes. I have seen numbers claiming 35K 'users', with ~14K being active. Out of that number, only how many voted in the pay site poll? (I can't find it right quick) but it was less than 1K. LESS THAN 1K voted! With 92% responding they would leave. 8% said they would stay and pay. I believe that is a significant figure, even if the returns were not very high. Even if the error margin is 20%, that means 3/4 of folks would leave. Wow. Seems foolish to ignore that.

I would gladly sign up to voluntarily contribute. But you darn well better listen to my wants and needs if your going to require me to pay. So far, I don't feel that has been happening.

Advertisers have paid for this site. If the membership plummets (not just drops a bit), you will loose advertiser dollars. Then, those left will be left to pick up the tab? Who will bear the burden of responsibility? The proposed new members, paying $30 or more per year?

I'll bet you a cold beer, you take this site to more than $10/year in this economy, (for ANY member), this site will die within a year.

Very few will join a site for $30+/yr without understanding the full value, and the time required to realize the full value, can be spent on other, free sources, developing them.

Ok, it's later: Is that 10/year for 3 years a one-time shot, or will your fee be locked in based on what it was when you join? I don't know what your current idea is, but your yearly membership should be locked in, for as long as you stay paid up. And, it should be a one-year at a time thing. And, when you bill folks for your 'service', there should be a written contract.

Christopher seems like a nice guy. When I have sent him a PM, he responded quickly. I don't want to make this personal. I'd love to meet him, and buy him a beer, (Chris, you going to be at Spokane this weekend?) I'd like to learn more about what is behind this. I think Christopher is a reasonable guy. Nobody's perfect (I sure am not) and maybe an error was made here or there, not sure, not accusing. But it does seem to me like a reasonable person would choose a different course of action, given the stated objections. I have to wonder if his hand is being forced somehow.

I sure hope this plan works, for the users. I don't expect stuff for free. But, this isn't free. Advertisers pay to advertise here, that means it's not free.

PE

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Your the first person to complain about posting troubles, or not knowing which forum to place your new thread in?

Give me some more insight into how the major categories they choose are making it hard for you to know where to place your thread.

Mmm, then you forget about the discussion when it was first implemented.

I'll use the Polaris forums as an example. I went through no small personal effort and expense to source out, find and order an aftermarket kevlar water pump belt for the Polaris big block twins. Motors made from 1997 to 2005 in 600/700/800 cc versions and offered in 3 different chassis'.

So I want to post a message in the Polaris forums that I have these belts available for those that are looking for them. So I have to (a) know that they apply to 3 different chassis and (b) go in to 3 different forums and post the info.

Sorry, I'm not getting paid to spend my day on Snowest and the pain of having to do that is just too much. So I throw it up in the General section, which no one seems to visit any more, and figure MountainHorse will move it to the right spot. :)

Before I would have just thrown it in to the Polaris section and known my fellow blue bloods would see it.

Or what if I want to ask a question about putting an Edge RMK suspension in a Gen II... do I put that in the Gen II section or the Edge section?

And there are few that know more about a Polaris than I do (yes, I'm bragging) but what about the guy that doesn't even know that his 700RMK is a Gen II? How will he know where to post?

And then the one final thing. I use the quick navigation at the bottom right of the main pages. The drop down that shows you links to all the forums and sub-forums. With all the additions that list is now 3 scrolls clicks long and has no rhyme or reason to it. For example, why is performance mixed in with the brand specific stuff?

It boils down to usability. I write software for a living. I'm the last person in my company that makes usability decisions... we have a Human Experience team that runs it past real customers and gets us feedback and then we code it like the customers want it. That's what you are missing here. You know the forum inside and out so you are fine with how the new stuff works. Meanwhile your 'users' are confused by it all.

You and 'the staff' ought to take a little time and do a google search on "customer driven design", you'd get some good insight in to why this whole process is going so badly right now.

sled_guy

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Thanks for taking the time to read this thread and offer me your comments this late at night.

We will do our best to make it all work for everyone as best we can in the next several weeks.

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
I guess I will be paying. The digital copy of SW mag will help make it worth it. Maybe now Harris can deliver the magazine in a timely fashion!

I do agree with the overwhelming majority that this will likely "kill" the forum. At least in a drastic way. None of the hugely popular forums use a pay model. Look at bigboards.com and you will see thousands of forums larger than SW and nearly zero are pay. It just doesn't work. Sure there will be a period where people will pay to keep what we all had, but another forum will rise and surpass SW soon enough. SW can expect thier new membership rate to be near zero once the current membership buys in or leaves. I give it 2 years before its a memory for most of us..... For now I will pay to keep access.

IMO a better way would be to leave the forum free and charge for swapmeet listings. People will happily pay $3-10 per listing to sell thier stuff given the huge amount of traffic SW has. Too bad the decision makers at SW are clueless about making money on the internet.

Some quick math:
50,000 swapmeet items since the new forum X $5 average per item / 2yrs = $125,000/yr
14K active members X say 40% who keep it x $10 yr = $56,000/yr

Sure my numbers are estimates, but it sure makes you think about other ways they could cash in without alienating the user base. Not to mention giving a digital copy of SW mag is going to drop thier renewal rates, so in a big picture sort of way, they make less. I will not renew the paper copy.

Last edited:

Skinner

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
Damn I don’t know where to start.:confused::confused:

Why not a trial time to see how the forum turns out before we have to pay. And a $10 fee for the first year to see if it’s worth it.

Oh to heck with it. Thanks for ruining my past time!:mad::mad:

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
Damn I don’t know where to start.:confused::confused:

Why not a trial time to see how the forum turns out before we have to pay. And a $10 fee for the first year to see if it’s worth it.

Oh to heck with it. Thanks for ruining my past time!:mad::mad:

Skinner, Christopher said they will start implementing all these changes in the next month. And it will not be until next year sometime that the change over will happen. Giving everyone plenty of time to see if they like the changes before paying for them.

As for the snowmobiling sub forums. That has to be the best thing that happend to this forum. No longer do I have to sift through all the posts about "which pipe for my m8", I can hit the Turbo sections and move on. Wonderful change!

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
I definately have to agree with the charging for swapmeet items. I personally have sold thousands of dollars of stuff in the swapmeet. I never could believe that it was free!

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
i agree also the swapmeet is where they should be charging not the normal content. they don't put the info on here "we" do it is our info and now they want to charge people to see and use our own info.

I have no problem paying if i sell something and i will probably pay their dang fee but i don't have to be happy about it. and then selling my info back to me with no reimbursement.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
As for the snowmobiling sub forums. That has to be the best thing that happend to this forum. No longer do I have to sift through all the posts about "which pipe for my m8", I can hit the Turbo sections and move on. Wonderful change!
Boy I wish I had more people giving me that feedback in PUBLIC and not just in Private Messages.

The Snowmobile Sub-Forums are THE major point of discussion in the Mod forums, and will become a major topic in the forums very shortly now as we survey the entire membership of SnoWest on how we want to permanently structure them.As I said early on, this was a TEST STRUCTURE.

Now its time for a full evaluation and a decision on what to do going forward.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I definitely have to agree with the charging for swapmeet items. I personally have sold thousands of dollars of stuff in the swapmeet. I never could believe that it was free!
HMMMM
This NEVER came up in any conversations or discussions.

In fact it was always exactly the opposite.

"Make sure the SwapMeet stays 100% OPEN and FREE to everyone in the whole community".

A

Adrenaline Revolution

Nov 17, 2002
In the foothills of the Cascades
Good morning Christopher.;)
OK, new day, fresh outlook.
PLEASE realize that the following is an attempt to point out the inconsistencies that seem to only pizz more people off and on the surface seem relatively easy to solve right away with very little investigation into alleged abuse of power by the Mods and/or Admin.

First, this was you response to a concern regarding overzealous mods....

If you have real beef with one of the moderators, send me a PM with ALL the details laid our clearly, with very specific examples of what they have done to abuse their authority. Please make sure it is something I can verify, not something from the past or something that happened on another site. You might be surprised at just how responsive I can be when the material is presented to me in a usable manner.

I really have NO desire to have abusive moderators.

I then posted this example of abuse for you to very easily check with just a click......

How bout the Mod or Admin that changed a member's post to fit his or her own agenda?

A poll was started ( http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178676 ) and a "Mod" decided it was his duty to change the choices in the poll that a member started....Sound familiar?
That is clearly abusing their power is it not?
Show us you mean what you say about fixing the over-zealous Mod issue please.
PJtheMunchkin is the Mod over there and did not do it so maybe....Who?

And this was your response about being given all the facts and details laid out clearly with very specific examples of the abuse of power....

This thread is NOT the venue for this discussion.

Start a new thread in the Suggestions forum, and I will take it up with you there.

And as to why I brought it to you attention in the thread and NOT a PM?....

Given the THOUSANDS of PMs I get and the huge volume of threads and posts, I really do try hard to reply to everyone, but there will always be times that I miss questions.

Respectfully....
AR.

BossRev

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Pleasant Grove, Utah
If you have real beef with one of the moderators, send me a PM with ALL the details laid our clearly, with very specific examples of what they have done to abuse their authority. Please make sure it is something I can verify, not something from the past or something that happened on another site. You might be surprised at just how responsive I can be when the material is presented to me in a usable manner.

I really have NO desire to have abusive moderators.

Been there done that and in typical fashion you ignored it. :rolleyes:

A

Adrenaline Revolution

Nov 17, 2002
Perhaps I misunderstand the complaints.
In general, people are complaining that its too difficult to enter into a sled forum, and then have to go into each of the sub-forums to check for the daily posts. they say that the extra clicks on the mouse have destroyed the sense of community they had before they had to take the extra effort to drill down one level.

And this is more than just a little condescending don't you think?

People skills Chris...

Just sayin'

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Dear AR.
Try though I do, your just not going to let this thread be about the upcoming conversion are you?

I am not ignoring you, nor am I sweeping any of this under the rug. Your concerns are one among many that I am tasked with dealing with right now, and for a couple days my focus has to be on this conversion process while the members slowly become aware of whats happening here on the site.

I understand, CLEARLY, that there are a group of members that are VERY UNHAPPY with a couple of our moderators.

I have offered you a vehicle to get your concerns addressed and responded to. For the moment you just do not want to avail yourself of that. I don't know why.

But I will say it again, this thread is not the place to launch your campaign to get these guys removed.

Please.

Start a new thread.
Lay out your charges,
Show all the incidents and examples and make the best case you can for why they need to be removed in the most dis-passionate manner possible, and then I will take it from there.

A

Adrenaline Revolution

Nov 17, 2002
HMMMM
This NEVER came up in any conversations or discussions.

In fact it was always exactly the opposite.

"Make sure the SwapMeet stays 100% OPEN and FREE to everyone in the whole community".
Just one more way to look at this...

Take for example Craigslist,
shoppers for a certain item can freely browse and search to their heart's content and not have to pay a dime for that privilege.
That's a good thing!:D
They have tons of sellers to choose from because Craigslist charges nothing to place the ad.
Anyone can simply get on the site and create an Ad with pictures and all without giving it another thought because it's free.

If Craigslist thought they could make a few extra bucks by charging for the use of their site don't you think they would have done that by now?
I mean, they ARE the biggest online classified Ad site are they not?

You don't reach that status by charging your customers to use your product.
They get their revenue somewhere else...Where? I have no friggen Idea because it doesn't matter to me.:rolleyes:
I just use their site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features