• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Garmin Rino GPS Radio

S

Skidoo83

Feb 17, 2009
WA
Anyone using the Garmin Rino GPS Radio 520 or 530?
Are they worth the money?
What is the best mounting system to use on a 09 Everst xp 800?

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Just got a set of them, been testing them quading to get a hang of how to use them before the snow flies. From what I'v seen they are the best GPS out there for an outdoors application. The radio part of the rhinos works great and its nice to be able to look on the GPS and see where your buddies are. They also have alot of other functions that I'm figuring out slowly.

L
Dec 27, 2007
Oregon
Worth the money!

We use the Rhino 520 for snowmobiling, hunting and riding atv's. Well worth the money, easy to use, have a lot of space for maps. The National Geographic map is better than the Garmin one. Way more detailed. The range for the walkie talkies is far superior to the 120. Works very well in the mountains for reception, definetly worth the money and peace of mind.

S

Skidooer

Oct 10, 2001
RAM mounts are best but I have seen them fail. Have a backup teather. 520-530 Rhinos are awesome! They have a lot of functions. Practice before you need to use them

J

JohnnyH

Nov 26, 2007
SL,UT
We use the Rhino 520 for snowmobiling, hunting and riding atv's. Well worth the money, easy to use, have a lot of space for maps. The National Geographic map is better than the Garmin one. Way more detailed. The range for the walkie talkies is far superior to the 120. Works very well in the mountains for reception, definetly worth the money and peace of mind.

How did you load the National Geographic onto your Rino?

A

Adrenalin

Nov 2, 2008
Los Anchorage, AK
our whole group has the 530 hcx , very nice radio / gps

has some neat functions aswell , updates position when ever someone keys up and you can "push" an update to see where they are if they dont key up,

i keep mine tethered to my backpack strap so cant help you on mounting =/

SledGimp

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Heber, UT
Anyone using the Garmin Rino GPS Radio 520 or 530?
Are they worth the money?
What is the best mounting system to use on a 09 Everst xp 800?

Just my 2 cents but I don't mount mine, keep it in my pocket. What happens if you get seperated from your sled for some reason and your radio is attached to the sled, not real usefull. Have a 520HCX and love it.:face-icon-small-dis

M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
I have the Rhino 120.
For all it's worth I think a radio on a GPS is ok, but I found that having a GPS on the sled and having a good quality radio on your person is a bit more useful.

The 120 has a poor poor range. I found that a 50 dollar 2 way does not even compare. Buddy got a set of 2 radios with 25 km range for 100 bones.

For all the guys who want to mount a GPs on their bars, here is a good setup... check out the pic below between the bars so if you roll (like no one ever does...LOL) they stay protected.

I myself, think a communication device like a radio should be on your person. I was witness to this myself, a friend was stranded over a cliff, and all you could do was yell over the edge... not a comforting situation...

attachment.php

T
I have the Rino 530HCX and love it! There is a mount sold in Western Power Sports that has 2 studs on the back with wing nuts. It works really good, I mount mine to the left of the gauge, don't have any pics but I could get some if interested. Deffinately use a backup strap or something to keep it attatched to the machine if it happens to bounce out of the mount, but I have never had mine come out of the mount.:beer;

M
Oct 28, 2009
Donnelly, ID.
I have mine mounted with a RAM bar mount on my ATV but when snowmobiling, it's in my chest pocket along with my beacon. What happens when the sled ends up a hundred yards away and you are injured or the snow is too deep to make it to the sled? Just my 2 cents :)

Premium Features