• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ortovox or BCA

Chief

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
SL,UT
I have the BCA Tracker..

but have not used it in a real avalanche.

In the class I took with the Utah Avalanche Center the BCA tracker was very easy to use and helped me locate a buried test "victim" quickly enough to save a life.

All of the digital beacons performed very well.

More then anything else make sure everyone has a beacon; that you've practiced with it; and that everyone understands how to do a search. I usually practice with my beacon a couple of times a year at the practice stations that have been set up at some of the Utah trail heads.

Little things will screw you up like another searcher that doesn't change their beacon from ping to search will throw you off and waste your time.

You’ll still need a good shovel and probe.

H
Nov 16, 2008
the best Transceiver I have used is the Pieps DSP. crazy fast, super easy to use for single or multiple burials. one of the longest ranges as well that I have tested.

K
Nov 29, 2007
Colorado
Check out http://beaconreviews.com. I have an older ortovox and a tracker, both work fine. I think the tracker is a bit easier to search with.

Practice, practice, practice with whatever beacon you get. And make sure everyone in your group practices with theirs (these are the people that will be seaching for you).

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
There several factors to consider, and it depends on which model of Ortovox you are looking at. One feature that I do like about the Ortovox is the harness/strap that integrates with the on/off. You cannot put the Ortovox on your body without turning it on, whereas with the BCA tracker you have to remember to turn it on.

However, I personally like the ease of use and the directional arrows of the BCA tracker better than the Ortovox.

S

Sasksummit

Nov 26, 2007
Lloydminster AB CA
There several factors to consider, and it depends on which model of Ortovox you are looking at. One feature that I do like about the Ortovox is the harness/strap that integrates with the on/off. You cannot put the Ortovox on your body without turning it on, whereas with the BCA tracker you have to remember to turn it on.

However, I personally like the ease of use and the directional arrows of the BCA tracker better than the Ortovox.

I agree I have the BCA tracker and like how easy it is to use. But I did ride one whole day with it off and didn't realize until I took it off at the end of the day.

Premium Features