• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

skid relocation measurment and pictures

V
Sep 22, 2008
been reading alot about the skid relocation on the 2001 summit 800hm 151'':confused: for better track approuch angle,if any one has some really good pictures and measurement description of a 2002 summit or one that has been well fabricated would really appreciate them ,

B
Jun 9, 2002
MN
been reading alot about the skid relocation on the 2001 summit 800hm 151'':confused: for better track approuch angle,if any one has some really good pictures and measurement description of a 2002 summit or one that has been well fabricated would really appreciate them ,
\

A P P R O A C H :beer;

C
Aug 24, 2009
Redondo, WA

I have an 03' Summit HM 151", it is a ZX chassis. What do you need exactly?

V
Sep 22, 2008
Skidoo moved the skid back in 2002 and 2003 making the approuch angle 19-21 degrees, the 2001 was alot more steep causeing poor handleing ,like a submarine ,there was a few kits with drop brackets made back then for this problem ,so if someone has this kit installed need the exact point of measurement on tunnel to be able to drill skid mount bolt holes and drop bracket ,being if the skid came from the factory already set back on tunnel not sure of a starting reference point with out 2001 beside 2003 to come pare .

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
when i put drop brackets on mine i was told 1inch down and 1 1/4 back back from the original holes,give winter brew a shout.bj sled head racing,or schmitty he makes drop brackets schmitty speed works,nice stuff,he has a deal going right know,2 wheel kit bar risers and drops,buy all three and get 20% off.:D

S
i just started working with an '01 151-highmark chassis for a boondocking mod:) (....unfortunately i don't have any pictures for the skid set back yet:eek:)but i can tell you some things i have noticed while doing the drop and roll in it;).the goofy factory track has shorter paddles down the center in a vain attempt to help tunnel "clean-out" (with the so called 2" track there is only a 1/4" of clearance at the front of the cooler on top of the tunnel:confused:)so dropping the skid really could help in this area:cool:.the front tunnel/bulkhead cooler also has @ 1/4-3/8" of clearance as well in places(hence the reasoning for a d & r :beer;:D:beer;) if you're happy with the 2" track you should think about a d & r plus the drop and pull back of your skid. you could check where your rear axle/skidframe/track relate to each other and compare the "safe" distances you can relocate the front and rear mount points in the factory hardware...if not you could go to 7 tooth 3" pitch drivers and run a new/lighter 2" track-you'll gain a 1/4" of clearance up in the bulkhead area plus lose rotating mass:)D-H.P!) plus if ya get something longer (153"-159") you can really pull chit back!(just don"t get crazy or you'll need anti-stabs!)

B
Dec 4, 2007
Save your self the hassel go buy a set of used 03 144 rails for that matter they can be from a rev also, skidoo on the 03 hymark used a 144 skid with a 151 track here's the secret I have measured and remeasured both my 00 and my 03 the rear sisors sits in the same place on the rail with the same amount left past it that means if you get 144 rails all you will have to do is drill the front mount holes in your tunnel and you too will also have the lower approach angle for the skid is set back

hope this helps:beer;:beer;

S
any idea what the 'doo sc10-159" that was available in '03 highmark extreme sno-checks had for rails? were these just "actual" 151 rails with four inches of setback from the factory...or were they four inch longer rails in the factory holes? i've got an '01 -151" with rails that are 62 1/2" long overall length if the '03-159" are really four inches longer they would really help to get a 162" track on :D(with a little setback that is;))any info? thx!

R

rhino

Nov 26, 2007
Greenwater WA
How important is it to keep the scissor location at the exact same point where it attaches to the tunnel drop brackets. I moved my skid back about 3 inches and never relocated my scissors forward. I just drilled new holes in my drop brackets 3 inches back. Always wondered about this and what effect it had on handling / climbing. you guys know?

M

mannix

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2008
I'm confused (but thank you for confusing me, feel like I'm closer to getting it).

I have an 03 Summit with a 144" track.

If I buy a 151" track, I can put it on simply by drilling the FRONT holes and dropping the front of the skid?

Could it be that easy?

Thanks!

Iain

R

rhino

Nov 26, 2007
Greenwater WA
if you have an 03 it is even easier than that. Just buy a rail extension and bolt it on and go. The reason you drill new holes and move the skid back on an 01 was twofold. It improved the attack angle at the same time relocating your rails back to eliminate the need of a rail extension. However, I beleive in 03 Ski Doo corrected the angle of attack problem and the moved the skid back at the factory. So I'd just buy the appropriate rail extension and go with that. Easy.

deboer

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2009
Archer, IA (Northwest IA)
if you have an 03 it is even easier than that. Just buy a rail extension and bolt it on and go. The reason you drill new holes and move the skid back on an 01 was twofold. It improved the attack angle at the same time relocating your rails back to eliminate the need of a rail extension. However, I beleive in 03 Ski Doo corrected the angle of attack problem and the moved the skid back at the factory. So I'd just buy the appropriate rail extension and go with that. Easy.

would that be the same as the 2002 with a 144" track??????

M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
The 03's used the next smaller skid...
For instance the 144 skid in 2002 was used in the 2003 151 sled...
You set back exactly 1/2 of what you increase your track with.
From 144 to 151, 7 inches,,, so you move the skid back 3.5 inches.
You also have to drop the front by at least 5/8" or you will have rubbing ussues on the upper loops in the front of the skid.\

On my 2000 zx, I took my 151 skid, chopped the rails and added on a short extension, and it became a 144 skid. I then moved it back 3.5" and down 1"in the back, 5/8 in the front. It worked awesome. I had to fabricate a drop bracket in the rear. Best mod for the pre 2003 models.

Last edited:
T
Nov 28, 2007
Midwest
2002 had the 144 rails on a 151 sled, and the 144 sled had 136 rails. I have converted several 144 sleds to 151 by simply sliding the skid back. I don't remember the dimensions right off hand, but the sled workd much better.

Premium Features