• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Finally Got To Ride 09 M8 and M1000 Back to Back

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I was lucky enough to be invited on a small demo ride yesterday. The snow wasn't great but we were able to find some fresh powder. There we six of us in the group.

I started out on a 2009 M8 LE 153" Urban Camo with a Boss seat and a SLP single, no fuel controller and the stock helix.

Then I rode a 2009 M1000 LE 162" in Urban Camo with a Boss Seat, SLP single, Boondocker (I think) fuel controller with M8 gearing.

I started on the M8 153" because it was what I considered the easiest to ride due to the light weight and less horsepower. I have to say in a mile or two I was already liking the sled. I played with the adjustable handlebars moving them up and down but, with the high rise Boss seat the bars in the fully extended position seemed about right on the trail to and from the riding area. Once boondocking I was wishing for another 2,3 or 4" of bar height for a bit more leverage. This sled was a demo and there definately was considerable slop in the steering post. I think that's what caused me to lose the handlebars for a brief period when climbing through a deeply rutted area. I noticed the toe holds seemed to push down on the top of my toes like the bar for the toe hold goes across about 2/3rds of the way up the front of my boot. That could be bothersome. The clutch engaged with a BANG that I could see would want to burry a sled in deep fluffy snow. I'd want to work to find a less dramatic engagement. I just love how the new reverse setup works!

I was very impressed with the M8. It was light and flickable. Had good snappy power with the SLP pipe. The Power Claw track worked great. Several times I knew I should be stuck but, the track pulled me through. I rode the 153" too and it worked so well that now I really am wondering if a I'd ever need a 162"?
The Boss seat was just the right height, the foot wells dumped the snow very well except on the backs of the foot supports. It's like snow is being thrown forward as the track rotates and dumping it on the rear portion of the foot supports. Maybe thin pieces of sheet metal covering the open area would help?

The M1000 was not what I was expecting. I figured it would be like the M8 with just more power. That's not what I found. The M1000 (at least the one I rode) shook like crazy at idle and you could really feel the vibration during a good portion of the ride. The power didn't seem to come on as quickly (it wasn't as snappy) as the M8. It had more of a big block slow reving nature that seemed to build torque more linearly than the M8. We did a little improptu short drag race from the bottom of a hill in less than ideal conditions and it seemed like the M8 jumped out in front and got up on the snow quicker but I'm sure the M1000 would probably run it down in anything longer.
All in all, the M1000 just didn't click with me the way the M8 did. It was a nice sled but, It felt heavier, it vibrated more, it wasn't nearly as flickable and it felt like there was something (like a crank lobe) that was out of tolerance.

One of the other sleds in the group was a 2009 M8 153" with a race gas turbo. I can't recall the brand but it started with an "O" (I think) and has an Aerocharger turbo and has three letters. First off, let me tell you this guy can ride! The lines he was picking and the stuff he was climbing was completely insane. I'd need a ball enhancement to do what he was doing!:eek:

Bottom Line: I think I'm in love with the M8 153" Sno Pro. They are fairly inexpensive and respond well to mods. If the mods aren't enough for you there is the pump gas or race gas option.

So, can someone tell me when and why a guy would need a 162" when you have a Power Claw track?

So for the long post and thank you to a great dealer for allowing me this opportunity.

Last edited:
I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
Good review! In those really deep days that's when the 162" track would make the difference.

D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
In my view the 162 is only needed in the deep bottomless snow of dec and jan. I know the 162 saved me a few times when going through deep snow picking through the trees. We had shorter sleds with us during that time of year and you could really tell the difference the track legnth made in that type of snow all other things being equal. If I had the extra money I would have 2 suspensions and tracks one for early riding and one for this time of year. I do not regret getting the 09 M8 162 it fits my riding style the best around here in the mountains of McCall.

snoballssnoglory

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
Frosty,
I think you have your choice. Well done. I do believe that neither sled was set up very well considering some of the descriptions of them. Not that they weren't runners, only that they needed a little tightening up. I own the 09 1K 162 SP/LE as you described and it has the SLP Exhaust, BDX intake and clutching. My buddy has the 09 M8 SP 162 SLP Exhaust, BDX intake. From stock we have been pretty close to neck and neck. I will tell you that for the most part the M8 pulls really well out of the hole. The M1K does as well though when set up correctly. You hit it on the head when you said the pull of the M1K is more linear, but that doesn't necessarily represent what you are looking for. I have ridden my buddies sled and I think it feels easier to bounce around but not enough for me to want to trade. We are both happier with our own sleds. We have yet to compare them on a deep deep day up a hill so we will just have to see. I can tell you this... Regardless of which way you go, you will not regret the decision either way. Pull the trigger and be done with it :face-icon-small-win

I

indy28

Nov 26, 2007
N. Wisconsin
Music to my ears!!! Just picked up an 09 M8 153" first ever NEW snowmobile, so pumped for this weekend and break-in!!! Great post!

J
Nov 7, 2008
My 09 M1000 with slp pipe m8 gears and dynojet wails on stock 09 m8. Ive tested both alot and mine is set up to feel way lighter then my buddies M8. Ya it vibrates at idle but i dont like idling anyhow. With the dynojet it has the same throttle response as the M8 but with noticably more power. Id never trade for the M8 but thats just me. Im getting over 50 mph track speed always and hes around 43 so id say theres a difference.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks guys, there are a few things I should have mentioned in the original post.

1. I am 5' 10" and 170 lbs. The M8 just suited me very well. Some of the guys that just loved the M1000 were well over 200 lbs. I think the 1000 would be better for someone over 225 lbs or so.

2. I knew my review might twist the tail of the M1000 guys a bit. Believe me, I had no intention of bashing either sled. I just wanted to give a fair and accurate account of both sleds.

3. Since I started on the M8 and spent more time on the M8 (my choice) it just felt more comfortable to me. Maybe it wouldn't have to someone else but, sometimes switching sleds is like changing beer brands after a couple.

4. When I started this quest I was looking for a light "flickable" sled (I already have a modded RX-1M with a 162" x 16" Camo Extreme). I was looking for a powerful lightweight sled that could be easily maneuvered through the tight trees and up off camber slopes. The M8 is that sled.

5. To be fair, I'd still like to ride a Dragon 800 153" and a Skidoo XP X 154" for the sake of comparison............but frankly Skidoo engine reliability scares me a bit and the Polaris 800 is heavier than the 09 M1000 (I think).

6. The 153" vs. 162" question is still raging in my mind. I can spin it either way.

I'm looking for a light flickable sled, and the 153" is easier to ride and 2 lbs. lighter. In all but early season fluff the 153" Powerclaw is everthing I need and will allow a bit quicker acceleration (less track) and more track speed than the 162".

The 162" is only 4 1/2" more inches of track on the ground and offers more capability for the steep or the deep days. There are other places I can lose that 2 lbs. of weight.

Hum??????

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
these are my comparisons in cooke city,
(1)09 m8 162 slp piped: (2)09 m8 162 slp piped, ported, and bd box: (3)Stock 09 m1000 162: (4)09 m1000 162 slp pipe, bd box:
All dealer set up sleds with comparable riders 4 take the cake in all cases and pulls away on all of them on a hill, 2 is next, this sled flat rips, hard not to want one of these babies. 3 beats 1 in most cases but it is close and the stocker feels heavier so in deep pow 1 might take 3. 4 also has a slight heavier feel until you hit the throttle and you can't tell a diff.

Setup can play a large factor in all these sleds and a well setup stock m8 could beat a poorly setup 4.

If you ride in the high country or MT WY CO where the snow is dry you want a 162 you will get stomped on a 153, eastern WA 153 are pretty fun and usually hook almost as good.

If its a 09 You will love it either way

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Well,,, maybe the dealer has a boat load of M8's too sell also not a trash talker here, but that 1000 wasn't set up well at all.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
but frankly Skidoo engine reliability scares me a bit and the Polaris 800 is heavier than the 09 M1000 (I think).

(09's) The Dragon is 15-20lbs lighter than the M1000SP. M8 SP and Dragon are within 8lbs of each other.

Last edited:

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
If the weight is that close, then I must ride a Dragon.

I haven't heard of the belt and engine issues on the Polaris sleds that I have read about with the Skidoos.

A white Dragon 800 155" would be what i'd like to ride.

I called every dealer for miles around for a demo ride and yesterday's ride was the only one that has called back.

I don't really care what I end up getting. I want to ride them all and see what suits me and riding style the best.

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
If the weight is that close, then I must ride a Dragon.

I haven't heard of the belt and engine issues on the Polaris sleds that I have read about with the Skidoos.

A white Dragon 800 155" would be what i'd like to ride.

I called every dealer for miles around for a demo ride and yesterday's ride was the only one that has called back.

I don't really care what I end up getting. I want to ride them all and see what suits me and riding style the best.

I think your on the right track with AC.. I have no complaints with mine, the 153" took me places I shouldent have been! When the trees get tight the shorter track seems to have the advantage.

I was very impressed with the fuel milage compared to my old Poo 800. Its a 1/3 of what I used before, and the useage has not changed.

Try the sno-pro, the fox floats handle like a dream, dig the adjustable bars to!

It was everything I thought it was and more

ArcticCatM8030.jpg

B
Jan 15, 2008
Covington, WA
Frostbite,
Bit off on an 09 M-8 SP 153" this year also. Best damn machine I've ever had. This thing mimicks my thoughts and sightline. Ample power and the Powerclaw is an impressive track. Fox floats kick azz. AC has got it right. I'm hooked. You won't be disappointed. Buy it now, bro.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks guys. Right now it's only the Dragon 800 155" standing between me and the M8. I need to ride one, soon so I can eliminate it from the list, or not.

I already am working on my M8 accessory list. I'm excited.

1. SLP Pipe, Y pipe and lightweight can and no fuel controller?
2. Some kind of air intake
3. SLP Powder Pros
4. Boss high Rise seat (maybe a Mountain Mod)?
5. Bar riser - I liked the adjustable bars but I'd like a little more height
6. Goggle holder
7. Hood Vent Kit
8. ???????

What else do you recommend?

Thanks for the info guys.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
side vents
gas rack
you can get risers for the adjustable post
but i didn't want to spend the money on a sp just not worth it to me.
I will be adding some kind of better running boards, still get to much snow ice build up.
bdx intake, but you might need a fuel controller
find out what fuel pressure slp used to test there pipe and make sure you have enough on the one you by should be fine but there have been a few issues, rare though

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
The BDX box (whatever that is) sure seems to be a popular mod.

The BDX air intake (maybe that's the BDX box?) seems to be very popular too. I'd be happy to use one but, if I'm not going to use a fuel controller (verified this with SLP again today) I maybe better stick with the SLP air inlet?

Who is BDX? How can I research this stuff? Black Diamond ??

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Thanks guys. Right now it's only the Dragon 800 155" standing between me and the M8. I need to ride one, soon so I can eliminate it from the list, or not.

I already am working on my M8 accessory list. I'm excited.

1. SLP Pipe, Y pipe and lightweight can and no fuel controller?
2. Some kind of air intake
3. SLP Powder Pros
4. Boss high Rise seat (maybe a Mountain Mod)?
5. Bar riser - I liked the adjustable bars but I'd like a little more height
6. Goggle holder
7. Hood Vent Kit
8. ???????

What else do you recommend?

Thanks for the info guys.

frosty, I have an 08 dragon..2400 miles..been totally reliable except for 3 handwarmers and a throttle warmer..has had the 09 piston/head update(ran fine before it), and 2 reflashes...you need to ride one before you buy the cat..(rode with an 09 m-8, great sled for sure )but I felt my D-8 did most things better(mine is well dialed with slp single, good clutching)...

Premium Features