• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pro secondary problem?

S
Jan 17, 2010
Well, I thought i'd share my first secondary problem Ive ever had.
I have a 2012 pro with 2 rides on it.(80)miles.
I decide to get my clutches off to send them to indydan and do some powdercoating, put on a par head , some raptor springs etc.
Just to get it all ready and looking good.

This is where my problem happens, i decide to slide my secondary back on to align it/get shims perfect etc.

So I think im close to dead nut on and go to put my belt on.
With polaris tool I start to screw it in with a little lube and making sure not to cross thread the aluminum,
Sheaves start to open about an eighth inch and then close on me, then grabs and starts opening again but has a softer feel even though the handles getting pretty dang firm turning right/ tight. It opens about 1/2 inch then ..... Pop? What the hell? It slams shut. So I take the clutch over to a snowmobile shop and with the owner,open up the clutch to find that the metal washer between the sheaves was not put on or somehow came off the little peg that keeps it position.

It just so happens that the belt removal tool found that hole in metal washer and went straight through contacting outer sheave and popped right through ruining my sheave.

I am not sure if this kind of crap can get covered under warrenty or if im stuck getting a clutch or sheave?

But as it stands,
If i got to get a clutch will a pro r, swb, 11 pro, 13 pro secondarys work? Are there differances to them? I dont have the money now to get them sent to indydan and my moneys tight so just seeing if ebay, etc is my best route?
Thanks

image.jpg

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Wow, never heard of that happening. I would give your dealer a shout but I'll bet that Polaris won't cover it. I don't think very many companies cover clutches. Even car manufacturer's don't cover clutches. We took a truck in that was less than a year old and GM said no, clutches are not part of warranty - just like tires and brake pads.

I have a very low mileage TSS-004 that I'll sell you if you are interested. I think it has 350 miles on it. I swapped to a Tied clutch. It came off of my 2013 Pro. Let me know if you are interested. It's just collecting dust on the shelves.

S
Jan 17, 2010

No i put up on my lift , it was in forward motion . I cant believe with spring pressure the washer would come off peg, then for the removal tool to find that hole in washer are 1 in 10,000?
Great odds i got!

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
Secondary

It sure looks to me that the helix was stuck in the reverse cut when you tightened up the or the spring you are running is a really tight spring, but usually it will pull the threads out of the clutch. I have never seen a hole drilled in the washer on any of my clutches

S
Jan 17, 2010
Thanks guys

I dont know, this is another question? Shouldn't the rollers also roll down the cut of the helix smoothly? Mine binds slighty the whole way down?

In the pic i set the rollers on the helix and it is stuck right there and you got to wiggle it down till it falls in place. I just dont have another to compare with and it just isnt right or im retarded, probably both

image.jpg

Last edited:

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
Well, I thought i'd share my first secondary problem Ive ever had.
I have a 2012 pro with 2 rides on it.(80)miles.
I decide to get my clutches off to send them to indydan and do some powdercoating, put on a par head , some raptor springs etc.
Just to get it all ready and looking good.

This is where my problem happens, i decide to slide my secondary back on to align it/get shims perfect etc.

So I think im close to dead nut on and go to put my belt on.
With polaris tool I start to screw it in with a little lube and making sure not to cross thread the aluminum,
Sheaves start to open about an eighth inch and then close on me, then grabs and starts opening again but has a softer feel even though the handles getting pretty dang firm turning right/ tight. It opens about 1/2 inch then ..... Pop? What the hell? It slams shut. So I take the clutch over to a snowmobile shop and with the owner,open up the clutch to find that the metal washer between the sheaves was not put on or somehow came off the little peg that keeps it position.

It just so happens that the belt removal tool found that hole in metal washer and went straight through contacting outer sheave and popped right through ruining my sheave.

I am not sure if this kind of crap can get covered under warrenty or if im stuck getting a clutch or sheave?

But as it stands,
If i got to get a clutch will a pro r, swb, 11 pro, 13 pro secondarys work? Are there differances to them? I dont have the money now to get them sent to indydan and my moneys tight so just seeing if ebay, etc is my best route?
Thanks

I have a 12 Pro secondary clutch with 300 miles on it sitting on the bench in the shop collecting dust and tripping over it!! You pay the shipping and you can have it for free!! A little help for a fellow Snowester!!

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
Good guy

I have a 12 Pro secondary clutch with 300 miles on it sitting on the bench in the shop collecting dust and tripping over it!! You pay the shipping and you can have it for free!! A little help for a fellow Snowester!!

Now that's a good guy, that's what's great about this forum fellow riders out to help the next guy out, keep it up boys

S
Jan 17, 2010
Wow thanks ditch pm sent, ill take it!

Also thanks loudhandle for your offer , i just cant argue with free. Thanks

Last edited:
Premium Features