• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fox Float Skid Setups

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
A
Nov 29, 2007
pillager, minnesota
fox float q?

quick question, i was talking with a fox rep at haydays asking about the floats on the m8 LE's, he said AC sorta does there own thing with them and that they'll do a swap or something for like 300$, i didnt quite understand what he meant they were changing, anyone able to comment on that more?

R
Mar 25, 2009
Palmer,AK.
Anyone have a PN# fro a good dual rate front spring? Big-boy size. I'm 245.

With the pre-load maxed out on the front skid spring it breaks the collars from coil bind. I'm carrying extras now...

The stock spring acts like it's not even there in the bumps. I pretty much only ride mountains/powder these days but I'm afraid I'm going to destroy something by letting the front of the skid slam as hard as it does when I have to hit some rough trail.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Anyone have a PN# fro a good dual rate front spring? Big-boy size. I'm 245.

With the pre-load maxed out on the front skid spring it breaks the collars from coil bind. I'm carrying extras now...

The stock spring acts like it's not even there in the bumps. I pretty much only ride mountains/powder these days but I'm afraid I'm going to destroy something by letting the front of the skid slam as hard as it does when I have to hit some rough trail.

i ended up a with multi spring pack from Holz on the front skid shock that fixed this issue for me. the front spring in the skid stock was WEAK!!!! I'm about 220lbs and it just won't hold me up. pretty lame. the Holz stack was the way to go.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
I just installed the float conversion in my 09 crossfire 800 141". I also put a 170 # spring on the front shock and snugged it up. What should i run for pressure in the rear? I am also thinking about getting a fett bros air chamber and revalving? Need some opinions

M
Sep 18, 2009
Puyallup, WA
im 230, with backpack and gear 245. add tunnel bag and (2) gas tanks (mountain additiction) and thats an additional 35-40 lbs...so about 280.

ive got a '10 M8 SP 162, and ran the front floats at 60psi and the rear float at 150 psi.

fronts were perfect, but the rear was to squishy.

the stock (front) skid shock spring was about 7-1/4" long i belive. so i found a stiffer spring that is 8" long same ID & OD to fit on the shock. i then lowered the rear skid float shock to 140psi. put about two threads as pre-load for the spring/shock combo...(whereas stock i had about 12-15 threads of pre-load)

get on the sled, and IT DOESNT move (no tunnel bag or gas tanks on it right now). i like a little stiffer ride so we'll see how it works. I'll play around with it this winter and see how it goes. hopefully this does the trick as i like how the skid reacts when i ride.

since g_a_y- west will make me pay to read more, i'm stuck looking at "upgrade your membership" to read further. PM me if you need anything

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
quick question, i was talking with a fox rep at haydays asking about the floats on the m8 LE's, he said AC sorta does there own thing with them and that they'll do a swap or something for like 300$, i didnt quite understand what he meant they were changing, anyone able to comment on that more?

AC doesn't use an internal negative spring. This is due to cost most likely. It does affect the ride quality of the "AC Fox Float". Keep in mind, if you are looking into a Float 2 upgrade, when you send in your shocks, they will NOT have the internal negative spring installed. It in order to have it done, the amount of new parts required, make it more feasible (financially) to just purchase a new set of Float 2's. A Float 2 upgrade will get you better valving, new seals, o-rings etc but your original shock will not be a "true" Float 2.

FFT.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
membership is cheap- midwest cat

Lifetime membership is only $60, I plan on livin another 30 years , that's $2 a year, even when membership was more . I still saved $$$ 1,ooo times over, with feedback from other members who used a product. what works and what don't

Premium Features