• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

98 powder special clutch issues

mtnxr

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Colorado
We have a 600 PS EFI that has a problem getting going. Engagement is around 4800 and it either has a hard time getting started moving or it will sometimes just smoke the belt. The primary is new with 47g and a purple white cutler. the prior setup was yellow white and 42g....the two setups act very similar with the same problems. The secondary is yellow with a 49 deg helix. It does seem to pull fairly well once it is moving.

vdo1948

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern South Dakota
I have a '99 PS with the same problem. Has a Black Magic kit in it that used to engage around 4700, now is around 5200. Think that is clutch/belt issues. However, have the same problem where it just really seems to struggle to start moving. Seems to go just fine once it's rolling. Interestingly, when I pull the belt off and lift the rear then turn the driven by hand, there are spots where it turns hard and if I let go of the clutch it will actually turn backwards. There are other spots where it turns easily. Don't see anything funky with the track. I'll be pulling the chain case and looking for probs there and also checking all the bearings on the jack shaft and drive shaft. Will also look for bent drive or jackshaft and checking bearings in the rear idler wheels. I'll let you know if I find anything. If anyone else has solved this prob, let us know.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Have you adjusted your belt deflection? Sounds like the belt is too loose and the primary has already started shifting up by the time the belt tightens up. As far as the track turning backwards I would bet you have out of round drivers or a bent shaft.

vdo1948

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern South Dakota
Can't speak for mtnxr but for me, if anything the belt was too tight. Was squealing some at idle. Something's changed in my system as both deflection and alignment are off. Could be wear but I'm thinking there is something more here. I will check out the driveshaft for straightness. Also look at the drivers. Never thought about them being out of round. Thanks for the ideas.

VDO

mtnxr

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Colorado
Well I checked my deflection with the old clutch probably 100 miles ago and it wasn't a problem. I wil check it again though. Both set ups were acting the same though. Also I smoked a relatively new belt this weekend and put a very worn belt on to get me home. It almost seemed to work better with that crappy belt which makes no sense to me. I haven't checked the track tension on that sled or the axle or drivers..good ideas...I will check that too.

S
Dec 28, 2010
ours has the same prob. its a 600 ps efi

primary has 50g with yellow/white
sec has 49deg with yellow

I have tried going to 53g and yellow/green and that made it worse, it was like riding a moped. i also tried tightening the secondary but then it seemed to not shift at all. i have had a few people tell me its in the secondary but no one seems to know what to change??? any help with this would be great.

Last edited:
T
Apr 20, 2009
Washington
Mine does the same thing but the difference is I'm carb. Tore the carbs apart last season and thought I cleaned them pretty good. Mine has a bog right off the line for about 1 second then tears it up. When the GF rides it with a much lighter throttle you can smell the belt getting hot. Havent done much tearing into the sled but would like to figure it out. The machine has less than 2k and is in perfect condition

vdo1948

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern South Dakota
Forgot about this old thread. I discovered a couple of things on my '99 PS. One is the track is getting old, it doesn't get ridden much and the track is starting to take a little set where it sets all summer; builds a kind of permanent curve in the track where it wraps around the drivers and the rear idlers. (I don't loosen the track for summer storage like I should.) Just a good day or two of riding seemed to resolve that issue. The other thing I found was track trension. I loosened it until it racheted and then tightened it just enough so it didn't rachet on hard acceleration. That seemed to make a lot of difference on mine, maybe because the track is a little funky, but I'm a lot happier with it now. Wasn't a whole lot of change in tension but the sled sure seemed happier.

VDO

Last edited:
J
Dec 6, 2011
Wow, this seems to be a common problem! I have the same problem with mine, but it seems to sputter and run a bit rough until I hit 6000rpm, then it pulls hard. I just put a new stater in it and at least it runs now! Thats another common problem. If I ever figure it I will be sure to post the cure.

Premium Features