• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best gearing and chain length for Dragon

darens

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2007
Morgan, Utah (pronounced HoooHaw)
i broke my chain and need to replace the gears in the chaincase (2009 Dragon)- what is the "best option" if there is such a thing for gearing and chain length?

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

d

ridgeclimber

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Maple Ridge B.C.
Chain case repairs

While you have the chain case apart I would consider up grading a few things in there. I just can't remember the number of teeth on the sprockets but I went down one tooth on the small drive sprocket and then went up one tooth on the large driven sprocket. I am pretty sure it was 19/42. With doing that it takes the belly out of the chain. The original chain will just fit. It gears it down, which is easier on the belts, drive train. Also get ride of the plastic chain tensioner. Then put a real steel roller type tensioner in it's place, like the ones in a 04 rmk? That combination seems to be more durable then the plastic tensioner. It stands up to the turbos. Then replace the plastic cover if you still have that with the aluminum cover plate.

Premium Features