• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

02' Summit Highmark-X 800 engine advise

R
Jan 17, 2011
DID YOU ORDER FROM THE LINK I SENT YOU...

So, still waiting for my Isoflex. I ordered 10 days ago, and paid xtra for Priority Mail! :face-icon-small-sad

I have everything ready to go, and can't wait to get this thing assembled!
Crank bearings are like new, rod clearances are near minimum at .018", MCB dual ring pistons, ring gap set at .016" cylinder clearance is at the low end of spec. The ported cylinders I am using should be sweet. Quite a difference from the stock cylinders I have. I am going to be running stock reeds with H.O. spacers, and stock pipe and can.

I was going to run Boyeson Rage Cage reeds, and a Snowstuff can, but have run out of money.

Now, we need some SNOW!

R
Jan 17, 2011
I called him, and he said he would look into it, and call me back, but I haven't heard from him. I imagine the nasty weather has something to do with the delay. I will try him again tomorrow.

R
Jan 17, 2011
So, the manual shows a seal on the outboard side of the inner bearing on the PTO side of the crank. My 03' motor just has a steel washer there. Any ideas?

R
Jan 17, 2011
So, the manual shows a seal on the outboard side of the inner bearing on the PTO side of the crank. My 03' motor just has a steel washer there. Any ideas?

Hopefully this was just a manufacturer variation. My grease showed up yesterday, and the motor is assembled and in the sled.

I'll be busy at work for the next couple days, but hope to fire it up on Sunday.

R
Jan 17, 2011
IT LIVES!!! Got her fired up tonight, let it get hot, cool down, retorqued the head, warmed it up again, filled the coolant system per the manual.

It fires up with half a pull of the rope, and sounds great!

One minor problem: What is the trick for the clip that holds the plug wires to the coil?! I only ordered one clip, and broke it trying to install it.:face-icon-small-sad We are finally getting some fresh pow, and if I have to order a new clip (I will get 5 this time!) I won't have it in time to ride this weekend. I have the wires jerry rigged with the broken clip, but don't trust them to stay put.

Any advise for installing the wires into the coil? Nothing in the manual.

Thanks all for the help all! Hopefully will be up at Mt Rose meadows on Saturday!

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
If I were you I'd have used the 03 stator, 360 amp vs. the 02's 290 I think it was. My 02 handwarmers suck, gotta be running hard to feel very warm, they cured this in 03. 03 carbs were the ones to get also. 02 carb and dpm calibration also sucked, non-hooded needle jets, ran hot in mid-range. RKT head was great update, would stay away from 14.5:1 domes if you swap between low and high altitude though, mixing race gas and premium.
I put the HO cyls. and stock head back on my motor after running an overbore topend, could'nt keep mag side piston from siezing for a couple years. Put top end back to stock and it looked like it was cured, am back to having higher temps in mag side again, but havn't burned it down yet. Watch your carb boots for pulling apart on top, mine have started, but sealed them up with Seal-All untill I can replace them, that hasn't cured my mag side temp issue, am starting to wonder about mag side crank seal, crank was replaced after probly 4k mi, so I got alot better service out of it than alot of 02's.

R
Jan 17, 2011
If I were you I'd have used the 03 stator, 360 amp vs. the 02's 290 I think it was. My 02 handwarmers suck, gotta be running hard to feel very warm, they cured this in 03. 03 carbs were the ones to get also. 02 carb and dpm calibration also sucked, non-hooded needle jets, ran hot in mid-range. RKT head was great update, would stay away from 14.5:1 domes if you swap between low and high altitude though, mixing race gas and premium.
I put the HO cyls. and stock head back on my motor after running an overbore topend, could'nt keep mag side piston from siezing for a couple years. Put top end back to stock and it looked like it was cured, am back to having higher temps in mag side again, but havn't burned it down yet. Watch your carb boots for pulling apart on top, mine have started, but sealed them up with Seal-All untill I can replace them, that hasn't cured my mag side temp issue, am starting to wonder about mag side crank seal, crank was replaced after probly 4k mi, so I got alot better service out of it than alot of 02's.

I was told I had to use the 02' stator with my electronics? Can I run the 360w stator with my stock MPEM? I didn't even try the grip heaters this weekend.

I have the 03' carbs, but they didn't have DPM connections, so I used the 02's.

I ended up with 3 sets of boots in my pile of parts, and 3 of the 6 were pulling apart. I put the 03' reeds in the two best 02' boots, and will keep a close eye on them untill I get the Rage Cages.

Thanks for the reply!

R
Jan 17, 2011
So, ran the new sled Sat, and Sun around 10,000ft. What a blast!

Have a couple bugs to work out. I was having some bog issues all weekend. It would bog and would not pick up rpm. If I would let off the throttle, and hit it again it would accelerate good, then next time it would bog, then it was good....

Also it started idling high when I first start it, and take about 30 seconds to come down. It randomly idled high throughout the day also, then would eventually come back down.

I have been doing some searching, and am going to start going through the troubleshooting section in the manual.

Also, I used almost a whole tank of gas with 100:1 premix, and 1 quart of injection oil and only clocked 34 miles. I was mostly playing around within a mile or so of the truck, doing lots of starting, and stopping, getting it hot, then letting it cool down.

That seems like a lot of fuel?

Thanks again for everyone that has helped me get this thing together!

Premium Features