• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gearing on ZX 700?

J

JustinB

Dec 21, 2008
Okay what is the gearing of choice for your 700's. I am gear at 19/43 at the moment but I am wondering if that is the right set up for my sled. I am running an 02 700 on a 151" with a HPS can.

X
Dec 1, 2007
NW Iowa
Current gearing

I ran a 2.25"x156" on my 700 this winter at 21-43 gearing....goes way fast still but track speed when climbing sucked. I think I need to drop a tooth or two yet so you're probably sitting about perfect. Any idea what link chain you're running? Not sure if the one I have will still work if I gear down.

J

JustinB

Dec 21, 2008
19/44 is prolly the best gear, but you may need to wear the chain a bit before you can squeeze the 44 on. I believe it was Canucklehead that showed pics of that. No need for the tensioner!

19/44 is the bomb. A "used" 72 link works with no tensioner. A new 72 won't fit.

I ran a 2.25"x156" on my 700 this winter at 21-43 gearing....goes way fast still but track speed when climbing sucked. I think I need to drop a tooth or two yet so you're probably sitting about perfect. Any idea what link chain you're running? Not sure if the one I have will still work if I gear down.

I would buy a chain. No offence but a stretched chain is a time bomb! Once you stretch a chain it loses its strength so your taking a weak chain and adding a ton of load on it. So I would rather buy a new chain than risk the chance of busting an old one and then ruining a motor. Thats just my reasoning, just remember a tight chain will "stretch" and metal can only stretch so far before it snaps and a new chain is cheaper than a new motor.

post-4950-1231275251.jpg

B
Jun 9, 2002
MN
The chain doesn't have to be 7/8th's worn out for this to work. Slightly used is all it takes to make this work. Like all chains are after a few miles. We're not saying to take a worn out POS and put it in your sled.:crazy:

Otherwise just run your 19/43.

Last edited:

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
I think your chart (pic) is for a REV. 44 is the biggest in a Zx case I think. ???

So what would the advantage be of stepping up one tooth on my bottom?

A little more ratio. Same as a smaller one on top - just not as much ratio change. Many believe that a 19 is really about as small as you really want to go on the silent chain _ that a tighter bend is not good for it. Of course there is also the issue that you have less and less teeth engaged in the chain for quicker wear. By jumping UP on the bottom you keep your 19 up top.

Also - by going DOWN a toth on top adds considerably to your "dog-leg" of the chain. Prolly not a real big issue in off trail speeds, but certainly does lose some efficiency. Likely a bigger deal for higher speeds. (You hafta run your adjuster in a lot more v/s a strait chain.)

I can certainly appreciate your concern of the chain - and I reccommend a 15 wide. Only need a wide gear on the bottom and space it out accordingly.

May need to cup the gear to fit the nut tho - depending on the gear that you git.

I blew my share of 13's. Only 15 I blew was after too many hard crick crossings. :Cry:

Last edited:
L
Dec 7, 2007
SWEDEN
...bad "Dog-leg"

19/44 is prolly the best gear,
but you may need to wear the chain a bit before you can squeeze the 44 on.
I believe it was Canucklehead that showed pics of that.
No need for the tensioner!

Many believe that a 19 is really about as small as you really want to go on the silent chain that a tighter bend is not good for it.
Of course there is also the issue that you have less and less teeth engaged in the chain for quicker wear.
By jumping UP on the bottom you keep your 19 up top.

Also - by going DOWN a toth on top adds considerably to your "dog-leg" of the chain.
Prolly not a real big issue in off trail speeds, but certainly does lose some efficiency.
Likely a bigger deal for higher speeds.
(You hafta run your adjuster in a lot more v/s a strait chain.)

I can certainly appreciate your concern of the chain - and I reccommend a 15 wide.
Only need a wide gear on the bottom and space it out accordingly.

May need to cup the gear to fit the nut tho - depending on the gear that you got.

I ran 22/43 & 23/43 in my ZX Renegade-800 with a 144x15x1,75" track,
and I'm not happy at all with that big "Dog-leg" that these combinations create :mad:

Any suggestions of a similar ratio but with other sprockets that create a much less "Dog-leg" ???

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
I ran 22/43 & 23/43 in my ZX Renegade-800 with a 144x15x1,75" track,
and I'm not happy at all with that big "Dog-leg" that these combinations create :mad:

Any suggestions of a similar ratio but with other sprockets that create a much less "Dog-leg" ???

Doo the math...

We have told you that 19/43 is a good ratio and is stock for many Zx Summits. Also that 19/44 is PERFECT with a broken in chain.

There is a 4 tooth count on the sprockets per 2 pin chain count ratio on change. (And chains only come in evens)

So you are obviously running a longer chain than we are. So if you up your tooth count to total 4 more than 19+43 (or 19+44 for extra tight) you will have the least leg possible. The only trouble is that I am not sure how available bottom gears are bigger than 44? I think you can squeeze a 45 in there? Be sure to confirm with somone else. I aint done it.

Otherwise you need to drop to the next shorter chain length.

L
Dec 7, 2007
SWEDEN
Doo the math...

We have told you that 19/43 is a good ratio and is stock for many Zx Summits. Also that 19/44 is PERFECT with a broken in chain.

There is a 4 tooth count on the sprockets per 2 pin chain count ratio on change. (And chains only come in evens)

So you are obviously running a longer chain than we are. So if you up your tooth count to total 4 more than 19+43 (or 19+44 for extra tight) you will have the least leg possible. The only trouble is that I am not sure how available bottom gears are bigger than 44? I think you can squeeze a 45 in there? Be sure to confirm with somone else. I aint done it.

Otherwise you need to drop to the next shorter chain length.

I'm now running a 74 pitch chain with my both gearing.

Gear ratio :
* 43/22 = 1,9545
* 43/23 = 1,8695

* 43/19 = 2,2631
* 44/19 = 2,3157

Since I'm not running a Summit in the deep and steep there is no point for me to have such low gearing as 43/19 or 44/19
But I still want to have a gearing that make as little "Dog Leg" as possible.

I have been told that there is no problem fitting a 44, 45, 46 or even a 47 bottom gear in the ZX / REV chain case
( except 2003 REV & 2003,5 REV ).

Any ideas ?

Last edited:

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
I ***_u_me that you are running a Lynx?

So run the 23/43 combo then.

I have been told that there is no problem fitting a 45 or even a 47 bottom gear.

I would want someone to verify that! I think 45 is as big as you can fit in the Zx case. (and I'm not even 100% on the 45) The Revs and newer have bigger openings I think.

Last edited:
L
Dec 7, 2007
SWEDEN
1. I ***_u_me that you are running a Lynx ?

2. So run the 23/43 combo then.

3. I would want someone to verify that !
I think 45 is as big as you can fit in the ZX case.
(and I'm not even 100% on the 45)
The REV's and newer have bigger openings I think.

1. I do not understand you !?

2. I do alot of boondocking and aggresive trail riding between 350 - 800 Meters ( 1150 - 2650 feet )
and want a combination that give me less "Dog Leg"
Any suggestions ?

3. No, the opening in the chain case is the same in the ZX and REV
( Except the 2003 REV and 2003,5 REV ).

Last edited:
A
Mar 11, 2007
Onoway Alberta
19-44 gives me 42 mph track speed in the fluff. Stock engine, stock exhaust. My can gives me the same speed but MUCH louder, so I don't run it. Team secondary clutch and the original 151 Bombi track. This year it gets 3 inch pitch drivers and a 153 Camo Extreme. I might put a spare 162 on it that I have kicking around, but I don't know if it will pull that much track.

Z
Mar 4, 2008
central WA
Hey Im running a 17/48 in my 01 700hm. My track speed is between 35 to 40ish with a 151X2.0" . Off the bottom pull is excelent and despite what you think there is room in the case for a sprocket that big. I say the lower the better after all you have varyable clutches working for you. My top speed is still about 78mph on the road, doo secondary's shift out like overdrive (more than 1:1) is what i been told.

Premium Features