• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

96 powder extreme 600

N
Apr 19, 2010
New Meadows, Idaho
Hey everyone, I just picked up a 96 powder extreme 600. I am need to find out which spark plug cables go to what cylinder. Also, I am looking to extend the track as well as adding a handlebar risers. Any info on these would be awesome.

IMG00075.jpg

P
Nov 20, 2008
all the plugs fire at the same time so wires dont matter. Anything more than a 3 inch riser and you will need to extend your throttle cable, powermadd makes a kit. A 151 inch skid from a 2003-2005 mountain cat is the best way to extend the track.

W

WAmtnsledr

Jul 12, 2009
nice sled. it's a 97 btw. throw a 151 on there, gear it down, and ride the **** out of it!:face-icon-small-hap
but be warned these sleds have lots of problems

N
Apr 19, 2010
New Meadows, Idaho
Awesome thanks for the advice everyone. I am going to look into that extension and get it on for next season. Trust me I am going to ride the hell out of it. I got the sled on trade for two days a manual labor. ^_^ But I have to take two of the carbs off and clean them. Its running hoter on the 2nd cylinder then any of the others.

W

WAmtnsledr

Jul 12, 2009
Hey Powder, I have been searching around and haven't had any luck with that 151' skid? Any suggestions on where I can find one?

just check the swapmeet, ebay, google, or other forums for a 151" skid for sale. or you can buy new, but thats $$$$. i'm sure you'll find one that somebody wants to get rid of, but if not just get rail extensions, and a big wheel kit then you should be fine. either way you're going to want to get a tunnel extension. good luck

N
Apr 19, 2010
New Meadows, Idaho
just check the swapmeet, ebay, google, or other forums for a 151" skid for sale. or you can buy new, but thats $$$$. i'm sure you'll find one that somebody wants to get rid of, but if not just get rail extensions, and a big wheel kit then you should be fine. either way you're going to want to get a tunnel extension. good luck

So I finally got the sled into my shop, and for some reason i'm not getting any fuel to the first and third carbs. I am guessing that the lines need some help or the fuel needs to be replaced. It has been sitting for awhile. Any suggestions?

IMG00076.jpg

C

clutch man

Sep 8, 2009
La pine Oregon
So I finally got the sled into my shop, and for some reason i'm not getting any fuel to the first and third carbs. I am guessing that the lines need some help or the fuel needs to be replaced. It has been sitting for awhile. Any suggestions?

If the sled has sat for a long time with old gas in it it can plug up the fittings at the pump take the lines off at the pump that go to the carbs thats our not getting fuel. if it is not getting fuel there the pump needs to be taken apart, cleaned and rebuilt.
If it is getting fuel there plug them in and then take them off at the carbs to see it fuel is coming out. if it is not getting fuel there replace the lines. if fuel is there the needle and seat our stuck in the carb.
the carb would then have to be taken apart to fix.
you can crank the motor over with kill switch on to see if it pumps fuel in each step.

N
Apr 19, 2010
New Meadows, Idaho
If the sled has sat for a long time with old gas in it it can plug up the fittings at the pump take the lines off at the pump that go to the carbs thats our not getting fuel. if it is not getting fuel there the pump needs to be taken apart, cleaned and rebuilt.
If it is getting fuel there plug them in and then take them off at the carbs to see it fuel is coming out. if it is not getting fuel there replace the lines. if fuel is there the needle and seat our stuck in the carb.
the carb would then have to be taken apart to fix.
you can crank the motor over with kill switch on to see if it pumps fuel in each step.

Thanks man, I am going up to work on my sled now. I will see how it works out.

arcticcatwill

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, id
Put a stock mtn cat 2001+ tunnel on that with a 151 and that thing would look bada$$, using all stock parts this thing could be a great mountain sled. At a Swap meet you might be able to find a used Van Amburg tunnel or somethin. 3 words "foward steering post"

Heres some pics of a built one. This is Qreiff's old sled.

DSC00759[1].jpg DSC00756[1].jpg

PowderCrew

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
in the shadow of the Rubies, Nevada
Noble... if you end up needing parts, let me know! I have 2 1/2 ZRT parts sleds. Basically the same other than the motor. I have a 151" rear that I MIGHT part with, deciding if its gonna find its way on "this" ZRT or I might sell the sled. In "limbo" at the moment. This is my "Mtn. Zurt":
P.S. I do have a 2" adjustable riser block and "ditto" on the forward post. Really easy to do, no mods...

ZRT2.jpg

Z
Mar 4, 2008
central WA
hey man, if you have anywhere near 2000 miles on the thing change the pistons asap!! In fact if you don't know for sure change em anyway. Mine blew up just after 3000 and it was catastrophic. I was told mine ran alot longer than they should have. The stock pistons in these have a track record of cracking out at the skirt on the intake side. Just one of mine blew but all three had hairline cracks in the skirts. Its a comon problem for the stock piston. Even if you just get some cheap $150 set, its better than the originals and will save you $$ in the long run.

PowderCrew

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
in the shadow of the Rubies, Nevada
If your cougar is like the ZRT's... check the "opening/groove/channel?" for the steering post in the airbox to see if there is room to move it forward. Remove the belly pan, disconnect the handlebars, upper and lower support braces/brackets and the linkage underneath. Drop the post low enough to move it underneath the steel "support" bar and move it forward of it. Re-insert the aluminum mounting block on the front side of the "support" bar and re-attach your upper & lower brackets, lower linkage and handlebars. Took me about an hour or so. my terminoligy isnt right, can throw up some pics in a lil' bit if you need. PM me and let me know...

Premium Features