• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

belt problems

deboer

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2009
Archer, IA (Northwest IA)
i have a 2002 ski doo summit x 800 and i was riding today and had my ski doo belt brake a 4 or 5 inch chunk out of the outter part. then for my spare belt that i had is a dayco and in a little bit later that on snapped in half.

i had this same problem last year with a 3 year old ski doo belt the hole outter shell came a part that one i just thought it was cause it hadn't been used in 3 years. and the other one was a dayco that BLOW UP and had nothing left of it all.

i put a spacer in my secondary clutch to make it float about a 1/4 inch and so now the only think i can think of is maybe my clutches need to be re-aligned.

so any info you guys have would be every helpful

Snow Duck

The Great and Mighty SnowDuck
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
Kuna Idaho to Elk City Idaho..
i bought a allignment bar...they are about 30.00...i can try to scan the doo way from my book or i may be able to email you the copy of the disk i have shoot me a pm...if anyone wants a copy of the manual on disk i have shoot me a email and i will try to get it to you...

S
the zx secondary's aren't really supposed to float like the s chassis.if you take a 3/8" square bar stock and set it in the base of the secondary between the sheaves (open them- lay it in and let 'em "clamp" it) there should be a 1 1/2 mm. offset in the measurement from the edge of the bar to the back edge of the primary clutch sheave (the edges closest to the engine) for measurements of @ 35 mm & 36 1/2 mm (bigger on the front-pipe side) and the clutch outside surface edges should have @ 16.5 mm between them (just enough room to stick a 7/16" deep socket-3/8" drive between on it's side like a feeler gauge).the c/c distances stayed the same thru till the revs but i think that in '02-'03 they mighta stuck a slightly smaller diameter secondary on (plus a fatter belt) so the 16 1/2 mm mighta changed.your local doo dealer can give ya the best info for your application.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
If your cookin belts you have too much heat ! I would go through your clutches and make sure they are tip top. If you want the ultimate clutch setup for your machine i would run the Big John clutch setup on that ZX. It is just a bunch of BRP parts but it makes that clutching the best it can possibly be. If you can't find it pm me and i will send you the magic potion LOL, i have it kickin around somewhere im sure.

Then do a skid setback and throw a Camo 156 under her. Best two mods ever bar none for that machine ! It will be a whole new animal !

P.S. I need to charge you for that information, as per the Snowest forum policy ! LOL !

Last edited:

deboer

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2009
Archer, IA (Northwest IA)
If your cookin belts you have too much heat ! I would go through your clutches and make sure they are tip top. If you want the ultimate clutch setup for your machine i would run the Big John clutch setup on that ZX. It is just a bunch of BRP parts but it makes that clutching the best it can possibly be. If you can't find it pm me and i will send you the magic potion LOL, i have it kickin around somewhere im sure.

Then do a skid setback and throw a Camo 156 under her. Best two mods ever bar none for that machine ! It will be a whole new animal !

P.S. I need to charge you for that information, as per the Snowest forum policy ! LOL !

if i would put a vent in front of the clutches like behind the shock would that help any or not
cause i don't know if i well be able to afford a new clutch

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
You don't need a new clutch. Just some clutch parts. It sounds like you might have some worn parts or wrong combination of clutching parts. The Big John clutch setup is bar none the best setup for your ZX.

Also when you can afford it get a skid setback with a Camo 156 track and you will be ripping compared to what you have now.

Also ditch the mountain skis if you have them ! They are horrible

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Right, i was thinking it was an 01. I would still get rid of the stock track and get a 156 with a real clutch setup. Best money spent. The Big John setup might change on the 02 as well. I can't remember if 02 had the RER, i think it does, no ?

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
Go through your clutches and make sure you don't have alignment issues.
160/320 primary spring, 300 ramps, threaded hollow pins and add weight to them accordingly, you want to run your clickers as low as possible.
I've had good luck with the Ultimax belts, little harder than the stock Doo belts. May be causing my clutch to run a little warmer, but belt durability is very good.
I just run the stock RER spring and straight cut 44 helix, I really like the way it backshifts and slows the sled down on steep downhills
FWIW.:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features