• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

skis on zx 800 summit

deboer

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2009
Archer, IA (Northwest IA)
i have a zx 800 summit x with a 144" track and i am haveing a hard time turning with the factory skis on it. so i was wondering what kind of skis all of you guys are running on your.

also i ride in ditches in northwestern iowa?

Stuck

Premium Member
Feb 4, 2002
Bridger, MT
is there adequate ski pressure? whens the last time you replaced the carbides? They worn down? If you have either of these problems, it won't want to turn at all. IIRC the skis on my old 02's were decent.

M

mannix

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2008
Not SURE on how you tell if there's too much/too little ski pressure, but if it is hard to turn the handlebars while not moving, it has some/enough/too much ski pressure, if it is really easy to turn the handlebars, it has little ski pressure.

?????

I have Simmons Gen2s on mine. WORLDS better than the offset/stock 03 ZX ski, for me. Much harder to turn on hard snow - two big carbides/wear rods digging in, but it tracks straighter, does not dart, I really like them on firm snow/trails. The Gen2 and Gen1 should act pretty much the same on hard snow.

In soft snow, well, they float. 3" wider than the originals. Kinda have to float more.

Sidehilling on hard/firm snow is the hardest part - the uphill "wing" can hit the crust and reduce pressure on the uphill carbide. That's the only issue I have with them, and so far, it has not been a _real_ problem, just something I've needed to ride around.

In what "deep" snow I've had them in, they're astounding.

Iain

deboer

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2009
Archer, IA (Northwest IA)
will see thats the thing just sitting i realy have to crank on the skis to get them to turn and the little bit i have rode my brothers 08 polaris 600 his is like turning on ice compared to mine.

so i just want to know what i have set up wrong or what the deal is?

S
"let out" your limiter strap a small amount at a time until the ski pressure is comfortably reduced (so it doesn't take a he -man to turn) you may also have to adjust the front shock spring pressure (either on the skid and/or skis) to set everything where you want it.BE AWARE- the more you let out the limiter ,the more the front of the sled will want to come off the ground as the weight transfers back....this will make it impossible to turn on hard pack or off camber surfaces that are set up (not powder):(...another negative is that in some deep snow conditions the approach angle of your track will be set too steep/front skid shock too stiff for the track/sled to climb up out of the snow and get on top(causing you to dig in like a mo-fo:eek:).another thing to keep an eye on is the track tension...if your suspension has been set up with the limiters shortened up and you slacken them off your track can get too tight (or loosen if you go the other way;))it usually takes a couple rides to tweek all the adjustments to your preferences,weight,riding, style ,snow conditons etc to find something that works best for you overall but it's definitly worth it:face-icon-small-hap

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
I run Powder Pros on my 02 mod. with the Carl's Cycle cut out on the outside rear edges, got SLP Straight-Line tracking skis on boys Racer-X. Both work great, PP track great in deep snow, float great as well.

If $$$ are an issue, find a set of 6'9 Pilot take-offs from a new Summit, should be plenty of them around.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
I put a set of Doo - knock-off Simmons on my '02 a few yrs ago. Made a whopper of a diff!

One time we got stuck on plowed road for quite aways in/out of the bush and we were riding up on the winged flat up on top. My chum on a Pol just kept getting further and further behind. Two of us on Doo's with the same skis were waiting on him quite a bit through that section.

Later he told me that it was obvious to him that he needed a set of whatever I just put on my sled b/c there was no way that I would'a ever held that edge like that before that trip!

He was sold even more than me!

Real Simmons are prolly better yet?

Last edited:
D
Sep 29, 2008
Highlands Ranch, CO
water in your spindle.

With your front end lifted off the ground is it hard to turn?

My buddies girlfriends sled just had the same problem. It turned out that she got water in the spindles and there was some rust. Remove the steering linkage and try to turn the ski. if it's at all tight, you'll have to pull apart the spindle and clean it up. On hers, one was way worse than the other , but we did both and it was a huge difference! The one that was really bad required a new cushion since it got pretty beat up; $4.50 from your dealer. Remember to re grease it when you're done.

B
May 20, 2008
Newfoundland
I run SlyDog's on my Renegade (ZX). So far they've been great in all the conditions I've hit. I've only got the trail version, but they still float great, even in 4 feet of pow.

I've run 3 different styles of C&A, SLP's Powder Pro, Simmons and this year am trying a set of SlyDog PowderHounds plus 4 or 5 other makes & styles and so far the SLP powder pro's have been the best ALL purpose ski I've run, great on the trail and SUPER in the fluff. You must always remember that when you put on any kind of ski that in order for you to get the most out of them you have to dial in your suspension for that particular ski & always only change ONE thing at a time when dialing them in. Get your weight transfer with the frt. skid shock adj(60/40 roughly) & then add or decrease the ski pressure with the frt shocks.

Premium Features