• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sticky Primary clutch

S
Dec 27, 2007
I have a 98 600 xc clutch that I have completly rebuilt and every ride lately I have had problems with it hanging up ( slightly engaged at idle) I have checked bushings and button clearence on the towers and every thing looks good. Anyone have any ideas?

S
Dec 7, 2007
Spider may not be shimmed out as far as it should. Measure belt to sheave clearance. Maybe a shim didn't get put back in on reassembly. Just a thought- good luck.

S
Dec 27, 2007
I think the shims are all there as it only hangs up sometimes. Before I went through it it would do it only if you were working the snot out of it. I have rode all day with no issues, next ride after 40 miles it hangs up. I was thinking maybe clutch allignment or bad belt?

Are you saying that your clutch is not opening or closing or that it is sticking while opening or closing?

I assume you have checked your rollers, roller washers and roller pins, unless you take it all the way apart you can't see the roller pin, there is a chance it is worn out, have you replaced your weights or the weight pins. The weight pins can bend which causes them to swing away from center as they open/close which pushes them into the side wall of the spider as they roll on the roller, they can also wear into and catch the wall of the outside sheave where the pin goes through the weight.

There are so many possibilities. Get back to me.

I
Nov 27, 2007
Norway
My guess is that the movable sheave bushing is shot. To find out, take off the cover, take out the spring and put the cover back on. Now the movable sheave should move nice & smooth on the center shaft.

This can be caused by e.g rust on the center shaft tearing up the bushing and causing it to swell.

S
Dec 27, 2007
If that bushing were to swell that would cause the problem I am having. I put a new bushing in when I did the clutch which is why I didnt think that would be it. It will not hang up all the time like I said, at first I was wondering if some bits of stubble from the fields we ride in were geting sucked in and causing that bushing to stick when you let off and not allow the movable sheave to completely disengage. I always thought that the weights should be touching the rollers and mine now seem to be about an 1/8 of an inch away. When you pull the cover off and remove the spring the clutch moves nice and easy up and down on the towers no binding at all.

I
Nov 27, 2007
Norway
With a new bushing and the clutch moving nice&smooth without the spring in place (but with cover) , it sounds like the bushing is good.
Maybe there's some slop in the cover bushing, allowing the clutch to get slightly cocked and bind , maybe b/c of the spring not being straight...?

Premium Features