• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'08 700RMK, how hot is too hot?

T

ttyR2

Nov 26, 2007
Was out riding on my '08 700RMK and we were climbing a pretty long trail with fairly hardpacked snow so the tunnel wasn't getting much cooling. The temp light never came on, but at 170deg, I pulled over and stacked a bunch of snow on the tunnel with quickly brought the temp back down to 135. Then I road like gangbusters just to keep the snow flying into the tunnel.

In one of these newer sleds, how hot is too hot? I'd rather not just ride until the temperature alarm goes off :)

The sled only has 125 miles on it, so it's still breaking in a bit.

I might add that this sled is a total blast (coming from a '94 XLT). One of the guys that was with us was riding an older 600 Arctic Cat (dunno the model) and he had a huge grin on his face after he took mine for a spin. The 'Cat was a standard low track style, not long travel like mine and I'm not bashing the 'Cat :)

sleddin pete

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Summit County Colorado
Buy some ice scratchers and use them if the snow is hardpacked.They'll cool the sled and save your hifax also.I have an 08 D7-155 and the rails are already drilled for scratchers,they mounted up in 15 minutes:beer;.Before I put my scratchers on my sled got to 165 on a long hardpacked run,ran it thru some pow on edge of trail and it cooled back down to the 118-125 it likes to run at.Haven't run the sled on hardpack since the scratchers but I'm sure they'll help:) I would shut it down at 165,better safe than sorry especially on a new motor

Last edited:

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
It's very important to use scratchers with your new sled.

1. Taller lugs reduce the amount of snow that reaches the hifax.
2. Track is only partially clipped which requires more lubrication.
3. Engine needs proper cooling, around 115-125 is ideal

Premium Features