• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2004 IM900 EFI Burndown?

T
Dec 1, 2007
Just returned from a 4 hour drive to ride 2.6 miles, I am so pissed. The clutch side piston and ring are scorred bad on the exhaust side; after view with the exhaust manifold removed. My dealer whenever he can't explain the reason always has the same answer; which I think is B.S.; blames it on bad fuel. I run only premium, and what about the 7 others that fueled up with the same fuel that are still riding. The spark plug on the recoil side looked really lean as well, almost a white grey, but did not burn down. This is an EFI motor, this shouldn't happen. A local trusted sled mechanic of 20 years; mostly Yamaha and Ski-doo; suggested that it sounded like a fuel pressure problem?? He said get the dealer to set the sled up so it is richer, and check the pressure. After a lengthy conversation of the performance and fuel economy as of lately, he thinks it is a lean burndown. I told him about racing some buddies and going for a long ride last weekend, how my 900 was way cheaper to fill up than everybody else, we all rode the same distanceand raced. He thinks it isn't getting enough fuel, making it lean??
Anybody got any ideas, I would really appreciate any feed-back.

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
bad front seal or low fuel rail pressure/pluged injectors? others have had this before so check the old 4m

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Are you fueling up where there is ethonol in the pumps? could cause a problem. Try unplugging the ethonol plug, it will richen the mixture a bit. That is strange to see in a EFI, I would suspect a air leak. But that doesnt change how much fuel you would burn. If you and your buddies are riding the same sleds about the same distance and your is takeing less fuel you defenitly have a fuel delivery problem.

Premium Features