• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2002 mountain cat 800 efi smart valves

V
Dec 7, 2007
Froid,Montana
i had a post on here earlier this week saying that i couldnt get my sled to start but i had good spark. so i am goin to my farm tomorrow to try and figure this thing out. i want to check the smart valves. what do i check for? do i have to drain the gas? if i do.....what is the easiest way to drain the gas... hopefully w/o removing the gas tank. i willl also check the kill switch wire. any other options??? hopefully i can get it figured out, otherwise its gonna hafta go to the cat dealer.........thanks alot everyone

O
Dec 10, 2007
Eau Claire, WI
vern

I took my seat off so I could tip it forward unscrewed the cap over the fuel pump and pulled it out. I had the black ones on and the news ones were blue. One of them seemed like it would collapse and not pop back out after I pushed on it a few times than it would work fine but I still replaced them. Hope that helps. I have a four inch riser block and it made it easier to pull the pump out of the tank.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Get your syphon hose and bottle of mouth wash. Some times you can just unhook the fuel line up front and blow back though it and open the valves.

Y

yamacat800

Dec 10, 2007
just another option. On my 800 I have had the fuel rail on the fuel injection freeze up and it would not start. If the sled is outside in the cold this could maybe be your problem. All I had to do was let it sit inside for a couple of hours and it started on the second pull. Just an idea from a problem I had. Good luck.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Pull your injectors and make sure you are getting fuel. They should spray when you pull it over if everything (kill switch, key) is working and turned on. If not then you have a good idea wher to go from there. Maybe thats not the easiest way to do it but it has worked for me in the past.

Premium Features