• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Electric Start and Manual Start

R

R3bu

Dec 11, 2014
I was wondering if you bought a sled with electric start on it, can you change out for manual/pull start?

Thanks.

96-ramair

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2012
I was wondering if you bought a sled with electric start on it, can you change out for manual/pull start?

Thanks.
Pull start kits are optional when ordering the new summit 850 with electric start. They can be installed at any time (without removing the electric starter).

Part number is 860201410 ($164.99) in the BRP accessories catalog.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
R

R3bu

Dec 11, 2014
Pull start kits are optional when ordering the new summit 850 with electric start. They can be installed at any time (without removing the electric starter).

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

So I would to just have to ask the dealer to order the pull start kit?, what about the cutout for the handle on the side panel?

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
If you're looking for an infield backup in a failed e-start situation, you can use the primary, too. E.g., on the 600 etec, I have started them (warm) by hand, just by spinning the primary between TDC and BDC a half turn. Yeah, that easy. And then there's the wrap-a-rope around the primary method. Don't know about the 850 and p-drive, of course. FWIW.

R

R3bu

Dec 11, 2014
I want to get rid of es, and just have pull start. is there a PN for the RH Panel?

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com

Thanks.

Save your money and ride it with e-start, you will never go back to a rope, unless you have a rope on your car to start it you love so much. The weight will make zero difference unless your trying to be Jay or Keith at Jackson this year.

M
Apr 24, 2016
Yukon
Our pull starts are going to sit behind the panels on our 850s and we will use them in case we need a back up for a new rider using one of our sleds that doesn't know how to start off the primary.

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
We've started a 800 Rzr of the primary one time when we were between a rock and a hard spot so I'm sure you can start the 850 off the primary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

jph3

Dec 6, 2007
Edwards co
So I would to just have to ask the dealer to order the pull start kit?, what about the cutout for the handle on the side panel?

I would just talk to the dealer and have them put it on when its built... I ordered mine with the back up rope pull, and the price seems right... $160ish.

R

R3bu

Dec 11, 2014
has anyone taken off there e-start yet?, I have the pull start already in from the dealer

any tips or tricks I should know?
Thanks.

snoblind04

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Western Wyoming
I think you'll have to pull the pipe off to get to the stater, Also if it's like the other e tech's you'll need to change a part in the wiring harness to make it work without the battery.

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
u cant do it your self...the flywheel and stator have to come out to get the the bendix. If your going to install the recoil Id leave the E start and dump the monster battery...install a small yusa 5 or so and your gonna be maybe 10 lbs total...and if its really cold and the small battery wont start it for the first cold start yank the rope...this is my plan.

96-ramair

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2012
Leave e-start, add recoil

Agree with Dave and Thistledoo - leave the e-start starter, and if you're really worried about weight, remove and replace the stock battery. The battery is well over 50% of the total weight of the e-start system.

I helped add a recoil to my buddy's 850. The biggest pain is getting the right-side cover off the engine. The screws holding it one are really tricky to see, and you need a smaller 1/4" drive torx socket or a screwdriver-style torx tool to get to them, as the bulkhead doesn't allow much room. Also as memory serves, the screws are NOT T-25's, they're T-27's, so you may find yourself slightly stripping a screw if you're using the wrong torx bit.

Once you get the screws out, you need about 3 hands and just the right tilt to get the cover out. Tilt out the bottom and slightly pull it forward towards the nose of the sled and it'll eventually come out. Putting the new recoil in is MUCH easier. It'll slide right in. The most time-consuming part is the self-tapping screws that hold the handle bracket in place.

Once installed, we noticed that the handle and handle bracket pushed out on the panel a bit. Where the panel used to tuck up tight near the gas cap, there's now about a 3/8" gap. Other than that, no issues at all.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Agree with Dave and Thistledoo - leave the e-start starter, and if you're really worried about weight, remove and replace the stock battery. The battery is well over 50% of the total weight of the e-start system.

I helped add a recoil to my buddy's 850. The biggest pain is getting the right-side cover off the engine. The screws holding it one are really tricky to see, and you need a smaller 1/4" drive torx socket or a screwdriver-style torx tool to get to them, as the bulkhead doesn't allow much room. Also as memory serves, the screws are NOT T-25's, they're T-27's, so you may find yourself slightly stripping a screw if you're using the wrong torx bit.

Once you get the screws out, you need about 3 hands and just the right tilt to get the cover out. Tilt out the bottom and slightly pull it forward towards the nose of the sled and it'll eventually come out. Putting the new recoil in is MUCH easier. It'll slide right in. The most time-consuming part is the self-tapping screws that hold the handle bracket in place.

Once installed, we noticed that the handle and handle bracket pushed out on the panel a bit. Where the panel used to tuck up tight near the gas cap, there's now about a 3/8" gap. Other than that, no issues at all.
make sure the plastic holder is mounted properly on the metal tab on the chaincase, the gap should be no different

96-ramair

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2012
make sure the plastic holder is mounted properly on the metal tab on the chaincase, the gap should be no different

Thanks, I'll take another look at his sled! He screwed that particular part on - are there slots to allow some movement? I seem to recall it's just two holes through the holder to the metal tab...

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
it has to kinda hook in, the plastic bump on the holder goes under the metal tab so it seats flush and not on an angle

M
Nov 21, 2016
u cant do it your self...the flywheel and stator have to come out to get the the bendix. If your going to install the recoil Id leave the E start and dump the monster battery...install a small yusa 5 or so and your gonna be maybe 10 lbs total...and if its really cold and the small battery wont start it for the first cold start yank the rope...this is my plan.

I agree, you should just leave it, however you can remove it yourself, I installed E start to mine last weekend.

I would suggest removing the starter and the battery, leave everything else. this would be easy to do. If you have specific questions, I would be happy to help.

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
I agree, you should just leave it, however you can remove it yourself, I installed E start to mine last weekend.

I would suggest removing the starter and the battery, leave everything else. this would be easy to do. If you have specific questions, I would be happy to help.

yes but then you can never sell the kit as you don't have the bendix which im sure is a pricey part..it will still be in the sled. To pull the flywheel u need a special puller that my dealer had to order as its new on the 850

Premium Features