• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

bogging issue

T

tbeaton

May 28, 2008
MA
haven't spent a ton of time on my sled this year due to no snow here on the east coast. most of my riding was out in alpine a month ago. while out there I was having an issue with my sled going into what I was told was a short limp mode that caused the sled to temporarily bog. my dealer tech who is also a good friend said it went into limp mode 80 plus times while I was out there and that was most likely the cause of my issues. the cause of limp mode he thought was due to snow in the throttle. well I finally had the chance to ride back out here. first 5 min I get the bog, I'm thinking okay the sleds just getting acclimated back down to sea level. keep riding and it keeps bogging, we don't have enough snow here and I never flipped the sled over all day so he can't say its snow in the throttle. anyone else have this issue? or any ideas as to why its doing this?

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
What was your clutching? Maybe caused by over-revving. Did you ever see a det light on the gauge?

snoballssnoglory

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
Can you describe exactly how it is bogging out???
Mine is at the dealers getting looked at for a bog issue. Sled is virtually brand new... Less than 150 miles and not over the 18 hour break in. When mine bogs it is like it is totally loaded up on fuel to the point where I can't clear it. It happens very suddenly and nearly threw me over the bars a couple of times. The bog brought it down to a complete stop and died several times. When it did die I would re-start it after a minute and the sled ran like nothing was wrong.
(SLP full Pipe Kit and clutched per Carls to include helix)

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Everyone with any type of electric issue, CEL, or cut-out needs to check, dry and apply electrical grease too all of the connections in the area above the primary clutch, as well as the main plug to the hood. Also, try to orientate the connections that look like they could hold water in a manner that water will not collect in them. This could cause that condition and others. Not worth trying anything else until you do this.

Luvinit

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Sask,Canada
I have both my 2016s doing an intermittent bog, seems to show up when I,m on the throttle , back to idle for a split second and hammer it again and it,ll bog for a second until I let off and ease into the throttle. You,re right it sounds and feels like it,s loaded up. However I,m feeling like it,s something to do with the exhaust valves not closing down fast enough, does anyone know if they are cable or spring return.

snoballssnoglory

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
Sounds to me like over rev det issues
Maybe but my sled hasn't seen over 8000 rpm's or thrown any codes which I would think I would see if it was DET. IDK?
As far as the connectors being wet, this sled is brand new and not been ridden in any powder or moisture. Trail/spring snow only.

snoballssnoglory

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
Good call. Fast and Easy, why that's just my kinda thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

tbeaton

May 28, 2008
MA
I have both my 2016s doing an intermittent bog, seems to show up when I,m on the throttle , back to idle for a split second and hammer it again and it,ll bog for a second until I let off and ease into the throttle. You,re right it sounds and feels like it,s loaded up. However I,m feeling like it,s something to do with the exhaust valves not closing down fast enough, does anyone know if they are cable or spring return.

that's pretty much what mine is doing.

I'm well aware of the clutching needed for both locations that my sled has been ridden at so there is no issue with correct or incorrect weights. no det and its not over reving. it feels like its loading up. when it happened first day in alpine I thought maybe it was due to it not being broken in and me adding oil to the fuel. so I stopped adding oil to fuel but the issue never stopped. there is no rhyme or reason to the issue, I can't replicate it on command.

T

tbeaton

May 28, 2008
MA
Can you describe exactly how it is bogging out???
Mine is at the dealers getting looked at for a bog issue. Sled is virtually brand new... Less than 150 miles and not over the 18 hour break in. When mine bogs it is like it is totally loaded up on fuel to the point where I can't clear it. It happens very suddenly and nearly threw me over the bars a couple of times. The bog brought it down to a complete stop and died several times. When it did die I would re-start it after a minute and the sled ran like nothing was wrong.
(SLP full Pipe Kit and clutched per Carls to include helix)

mine is not that bad.

Luvinit

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Sask,Canada
Dealer checked with Polaris, they want to inspect the exhaust valves and re-learn them, I,ll post results. I changed plugs and put stock can back in, it is better but i can still make it bog if I go on-off throttle.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Like Jaynelson said, there is one small relay in the pouch above the clutch guard that needs to be taken out and put dielectric grease on. If contacts are corroded, clean them first. There is also two relays taped to the cross member above the Y pipe. Remove those as well and clean contacts and apply dielectric grease. These three have been the culprits to many gremlins. I did mine before the first ride and the sled has been nothing short of phenomenal!!

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
Like Jaynelson said, there is one small relay in the pouch above the clutch guard that needs to be taken out and put dielectric grease on. If contacts are corroded, clean them first. There is also two relays taped to the cross member above the Y pipe. Remove those as well and clean contacts and apply dielectric grease. These three have been the culprits to many gremlins. I did mine before the first ride and the sled has been nothing short of phenomenal!!

Agree fully. I would also put dielectric grease on the hood/chassis main connection as well. Pin fit or poor connection can cause all sort of issues that are extremely hard to track down. My sled has been rock solid so far as well.

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
Guess spoke to soon on my above post lol. Just got back from Colorado & had awesome time but sled was bog city on the powder days. Very frustrating!! It's seems to bog after running in powder after a bit. It gets so bad that if your partially stuck the sled ont even have enough power/build rpm' to move. Throttle is pinned & wont go over 5K rpm's. When you get going it will pull 8,300 put seems low on power still. Seems like a electrical issue maybe?

J
Oct 15, 2013
Breckenridge, CO
Guess spoke to soon on my above post lol. Just got back from Colorado & had awesome time but sled was bog city on the powder days. Very frustrating!! It's seems to bog after running in powder after a bit. It gets so bad that if your partially stuck the sled ont even have enough power/build rpm' to move. Throttle is pinned & wont go over 5K rpm's. When you get going it will pull 8,300 put seems low on power still. Seems like a electrical issue maybe?

2 things...

1. Exhaust outlet most likely covered/stuffed with snow and not allowing exhaust to escape. Very common, just kick out the snow under the outlet and problem solved.

2. The recent storms here have been on the denser side of water content causing snow/ice to build up a bit more than the standard "champagne powder". Bet if you looked at the intake vents at the time of bogging you would nice heavy snow/ice build up. Nothing you can really do to avoid it other than wipe them clean whenever you notice or add additional intake vents. I added the SLP intake kit to mine and really haven't noticed any issues, but I also just wipe them clean everytime I take a break.

Oh, one other thing, what weights were you running? (Assuming springs are still stock)
I went to the 60s per spec sheet and ended up at 58s to really get good results. That too got rid of any lazy feeling from the sled, but I wouldn't say that it was a bog.

Last edited:

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
I was running 10/58's with stock springs. It would do it on the trail after running in powder also. Made sure exhaust & intakes were clear. Felt like the power valves were not working at all. One thing I did notice is a lot of snow would build up onto the two relays that sit on top of the sub-structure, believe they are for the power valves? Anyway got back home now & going to check all electrical connections & put dielectric grease on them. Going take to dealer have them put the D.R on it to check for faults also. Still love the sled & would buy another for sure.

Last edited:
Premium Features