• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Red head triple 700

G
Nov 24, 2014
Got a 2001 SX700R with the dreaded water pump leak. It has 2300 miles on it. Got all new seals and the 680 loctite for the impeller splines and the end bolt. However, the shaft is corroded but the outer bearing looks good. Question is will the shaft and outer bearing slide out once the snap ring is removed? More importantly will the new shaft go back in while the inner bearing stays put in case? I do not want to split case but would like to replace shaft and outer bearing while it is apart. Some say this shaft is totally serviceable and should have no problem while others say you must split the case. Hoping someone on here has done so and can enlighten me. Thanks gilly

J
Feb 3, 2013
Caldwell ID
It has been several years since I have replaced seals in the water pump but do remember a few things. I did not split my case and got it to quit leaking. The ceramic seal was the problem. I remember having to destroy the old one to get it out, but do not rembler if it was the "inside" or "outside" seal. I also rembler that it looked perfectly good, but was the problem. Hope this helps.
Jay G.

Premium Features