• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M7, how much of a difference does the track make?

MikeMetzger

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2013
Edmonds Wa
I have an 05 with the stock track that sucks. How much of a noticable difference is changing out the track to a powderclaw(or whatever) going to make? Is it like a whole new sled, or just better on the more packed snow?

MikeMetzger

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2013
Edmonds Wa
Hummmmmm, maybe I can find a used one online and save myself from spending the cash on a newer M1000 or possibly a Pro

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Huge!
My 07 m1000, piped was the sled to beat, it just flat ran. Nothing less than a turbo came close. But,,,
My 09 stock would beat it everywhere but in a drag race, just keep climbing and climbing.

The tunnel update is a big factor also so include that. What length of sled do you have.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The 2.25 Pclaw is a great upgrade and relatively inexpensive, mine works great.

Although I'd like to try the CE 2.5 or 2.6 Pclaw....... Mine is a 162.

MikeMetzger

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2013
Edmonds Wa
Mine is a 162 as well.

Sooooo what is the BEST track to put on this sled? 3" paddles? :)

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where do you ride.

The 3" can be a trencher as well as the 2.6, the 2.25 pc is a great all around track but depending on your snow conditions it can make a difference.

A 2.25 pc will be the cheapest best track you can find

MikeMetzger

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2013
Edmonds Wa
I ride all conditions, but style is all technical boondocking. Trying to find a way to keep up with my buddy on his pro without buying a new sled and just slightly upgrading mine

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
it'll make a huge improvement

here's my experience, we have 4 m7s in our group 3 153s and 1 162. they all have relatively the same mods and were all pretty neck and neck but the 162 would get maybe a couple feet higher on deep climbs. in 09 i bought the 2.25 inch pclaw and slapped it on mine (153) and my sled just started killing the other sleds in all situations including the 162. its most noticeable when the snow starts setting up or getting crusty but i think it does still give some benefits in the POW to. 3of the 4 riders including myself are umm on the hefty side so the one skinny rider was always the sled to beat and always had the hi mark by 5-10 feet or better until i got the pclaw. it made up for the ~50lb advantage he had and put my big a$$ even and in some cases above. he delt with that for 2-3 seasons then finally at the end of this season he finally dropped the coin and threw a 2.6 pclaw on his sled . now he's only rode it once or twice since the new track, but that thing hooks like a mofo. he started beating me again in pretty much all situations, except for the fact he's gotta learn to ride again now, yes there's a learning curve. when i hopped on his sled with the 2.6 goin from mine with the 2.25 it felt like when i first swapped the stock challenger out for the 2.25 pclaw, lots of hookup. i guess what I'm sayin is if the moneys there I'd go for the 2.6 but if its not doable i wouldn't hesitate to buy the 2.25 pclaw.

MikeMetzger

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2013
Edmonds Wa
That's really good to know. A lot of the times I can just tell its my ****ty *** track that killing me. Maybe Ill just drop some coin on a Pclaw and ride my sled for another season. I really do love the way this thing handles, and its pretty damn light for a 10year old sled. Geeeeze, cant believe my sled is 10 years old already lol.

it'll make a huge improvement

here's my experience, we have 4 m7s in our group 3 153s and 1 162. they all have relatively the same mods and were all pretty neck and neck but the 162 would get maybe a couple feet higher on deep climbs. in 09 i bought the 2.25 inch pclaw and slapped it on mine (153) and my sled just started killing the other sleds in all situations including the 162. its most noticeable when the snow starts setting up or getting crusty but i think it does still give some benefits in the POW to. 3of the 4 riders including myself are umm on the hefty side so the one skinny rider was always the sled to beat and always had the hi mark by 5-10 feet or better until i got the pclaw. it made up for the ~50lb advantage he had and put my big a$$ even and in some cases above. he delt with that for 2-3 seasons then finally at the end of this season he finally dropped the coin and threw a 2.6 pclaw on his sled . now he's only rode it once or twice since the new track, but that thing hooks like a mofo. he started beating me again in pretty much all situations, except for the fact he's gotta learn to ride again now, yes there's a learning curve. when i hopped on his sled with the 2.6 goin from mine with the 2.25 it felt like when i first swapped the stock challenger out for the 2.25 pclaw, lots of hookup. i guess what I'm sayin is if the moneys there I'd go for the 2.6 but if its not doable i wouldn't hesitate to buy the 2.25 pclaw.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
ya, i don't know if you have the attack 20 or the challenger but i guarantee you'll like the pclaw better especially later in the season. all our sleds had the challenger stock and in the spring time they could get a little iffy on some climbs. the skinny friend i was referring to hated his stock track bad enough in the late season that as soon as the snow started getting slick he'd just stop riding and miss out on a lot of good rides. if you do get the pclaw just remember the first couple rides to be hanging on when you pin it, where the stock track would spin a bit and give you a sec to get settled the pclaw just hooks and shoots you forward. the first ride with my pclaw i ended up rolling my sled from this, i went to shoot up between some trees and grabbed a handful of go button and the skis lifted and she shot smack dab into a group of small trees. good times

MikeMetzger

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2013
Edmonds Wa
Thats exactly what Im looking for, getting that initial momentum is HUGE when Im just "figuring" out my way through some tech stuff. I find the track I have now just takes too much time and distance to hook up. I think the Pclaw will help me a bunch. Now I just need to try and hold off from getting a M1000 in the off season...... ;)

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Riding all conditions is not what I asked, I asked where you ride because the snow is different. If I rode mostly west coast I would be running a CE most likely, but out here I prefer the PC. Big differences in moisture content of the snow.

MikeMetzger

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2013
Edmonds Wa
Probably mostly heavier stuff here in Seattle area. So not a whole lot of light pow. However I will be riding Baker more now, and that place gets quite a bit of the light soft stuff :)

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I rode baker last year a little but to be honest I would be on a 3" out there, baker sets up and almost always has a base, thus even in the soft when you find that base it go time. Plus when going downhill the CE's will be easier coming down. The PC can be real tricky to slow down. A 3" is prob a little much $$$ unless you get it, then if you switch sleds throw the old one back on and put the 3 on a new sled. But a 2.6 or 2.5 CE will still rock and there are ways to even make the 2.25 a good track for the area but try and find a HCR track with the harder duro.

Premium Features