• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best spot in the U.S. to Live and Ride

M

mthoodskiguy

Feb 19, 2008
DIAMOND LAKE/BEND
Alright the big question. Sound off please. I am not talking about jobs or a place to raise a family I am talking a place to live for the winter and ride, hang out, drink, sleep. Leaving for cooke shortly gonna stay for 2 months and immerse myself but would like to hear from others on where they would head in a situation as such.. i am open to ideas will work for gear trade or something no money needed. As is I have a efficiency in cooke with a kitchenette for $350 a month for dec. and jan. please tell me where you would go.. Factors to consider;

A. Daily living and gas costs
B. proximity to a goood shop
C. Proximity to riding (I prefer places where you can ride from town)
D. Place to eat, drink, and chat with others.

Last edited:

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
bozeman- has lots of snow so far this season

bracket creek, buck creek, taylor fork are all within 50-60 miles, cooke isn't to far away

M

mthoodskiguy

Feb 19, 2008
DIAMOND LAKE/BEND
Is there any small town satelites of Bozeman. I don't do good with that many people.. I like to know the "Ed the bar tender" is gonna be manning the station at the local watering hole or drink coffee and eat breakfast with likes of locals you know... Can't sled from town there either a big one in my book. The three that are most attractive as of now are;

Alpine, wy
Cooke city,mt (have a cabin tentatively)
McCall,Id
West Yellowstone,mt

M

mthoodskiguy

Feb 19, 2008
DIAMOND LAKE/BEND
Island park would be good. Or alpine wy.

Sent from my iPhone via magic!

I gave a lot of thought island park but is there any sort of community there? Seems like everything is really spaced out. I would lean towards living in Westy and just driving out that way if I wanted to. Would you rather live in island park?
If so why?

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
sled towns

One thing I have noticed about sled towns is this...You REALLY need to like winter. I know what you are thinking, "of course I like winter you bozo, I love to snowmobile". In a truly harsh or even normal MT winter, Cooke City and West can be pretty dreary. Lots of snow=lots of clouds=no sun. The effect on your mood can be pretty amazing when you don't see the sun for a couple of weeks straight. Although, I think Cooke might see more sun than West on average, so it could be a good fit. I know when I spend a few days in either I am always grateful that I live close enough to both benefit from the snow, but also get a respite from old man winters grip every now and then. But then again, if you are from Oregon you are probably used to clouds...

M

mthoodskiguy

Feb 19, 2008
DIAMOND LAKE/BEND
One thing I have noticed about sled towns is this...You REALLY need to like winter. I know what you are thinking, "of course I like winter you bozo, I love to snowmobile". In a truly harsh or even normal MT winter, Cooke City and West can be pretty dreary. Lots of snow=lots of clouds=no sun. The effect on your mood can be pretty amazing when you don't see the sun for a couple of weeks straight. Although, I think Cooke might see more sun than West on average, so it could be a good fit. I know when I spend a few days in either I am always grateful that I live close enough to both benefit from the snow, but also get a respite from old man winters grip every now and then. But then again, if you are from Oregon you are probably used to clouds...

Sooo very true. I find that when living in oregon that I much prefer dreary blizzard and snow stacking up over rainy and "I wonder what the snow level is". I don't really like riding when its puking in cooke it can be flat out scary. I tend to play in the fields and such off 212 when I am fearing for my life. But at any rate a good observation and something well worth pointing out. The biggest drawback for me would be complete and utter lack of woman.. I kinda like em for some reason..:face-icon-small-hap

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
Women

Sooo very true. I find that when living in oregon that I much prefer dreary blizzard and snow stacking up over rainy and "I wonder what the snow level is". I don't really like riding when its puking in cooke it can be flat out scary. I tend to play in the fields and such off 212 when I am fearing for my life. But at any rate a good observation and something well worth pointing out. The biggest drawback for me would be complete and utter lack of woman.. I kinda like em for some reason..:face-icon-small-hap

My single friends tell me that Match.Com is like shooting fish in a barrel. Maybe do some online "scouting" between Bozeman and Billings and get one to meet you in Cooke for a romantic winter rendezvous? Hell, I'd try it, but my wife would be pizzed!:face-icon-small-hap

Randman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2010
Billings, MT
Interesting thread and posts, you might want to check out Mullan, ID in silver valley. It has great riding areas all around and is definitley a small town. It's 60 miles to Coeur d'Alene if ya want a bit of the "big city". Lookout seems to always have alot of snow and I think it is one beautiful area with comfortable winter temps.

I live in CDA and am bummed to be moving to Billings this spring.

Good luck in your travels:present:

Last edited:
Premium Features