• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

how many run a deck on a half ton

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
If you can afford a 3/4 do it up, ran a Heavy1/2 gmc for a few years with 2 sleds on the deck minimal gear and 2 guys in the truck over weight, truck does not ride or drive the same. If your on nice paved hyways all the time can get away with it but not ideal. Soon as you hit some gravel roads its another story you will beat your 1/2 apart. My opinion is airbags are a band aid fix for a 1/2.

B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
I'd love to be 19 again.

How bout 17? haha

As far as decks and 1/2tons go, do what you want, will it get you from point A to point B, yes. Will you do it quickly, No. If you are gonna use a 1/2ton get bigger springs and bags, makes a big difference with "not as much" body roll. Used a deck in my 1/2ton with that set up and a 4in lift, worked fine, just cant drive like a 17yr old...and be ready to go slow up hill.

If possible get a diesel

Kinzer

Anybody who has owned both 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton or bigger knows the HUGE difference between the 2 All the talk has been about beefing up the rear end. If you are using a 1/2 ton you also need to beef up the front end as well. This will make a considerable difference in handleing.
When it comes right down to it a 1/2 ton is just NOT made to carry those kind of loads, and nothing you can do to it short of a NEW DRIVE TRAIN is going to change that fact.
I have owned over 20 trucks. 1/2 tons, Heavy 1/2 tons, 3/4 tons, 1 tons, Chevy's and Fords. I have gone through the "beef up my 1/2 ton syndrome" to But until you own a 3/4 ton or bigger and put it through all the same paces you just don't understand the difference in stability, braking power, usually HP and most of all, OVERALL SAFETY
Just an FYI, Ford handles loads better than the others. (Regardless of ratings) I know from personal experiance. I have to say, I have been somewhat impressed by the (09 and newer) Chevy 6.2L 1 ton with the Alison tranny.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Just an FYI, Ford handles loads better than the others. (Regardless of ratings) I know from personal experiance. I have to say, I have been somewhat impressed by the (09 and newer) Chevy 6.2L 1 ton with the Alison tranny.

Where did you find a 1 ton GM with a 6.2L in it? To my knowledge it doesn't exist.

Slednoggin23

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
Wyoming
Okay anti sled deck on a half ton people. Do you think your safer putting a sled deck on a lifted 3\4 ton truck? Do you believe that when you put bigger tires or a lift on a 1\2 or 3\4 ton truck that it doesn't change the payload rating or handling characteristics? If you believe one or both then I've got a nearly stock 383lb four stroke turbo I'd like to sell you.:face-icon-small-hap

I don't believe it is a matter of if the 1\2 ton or 3\4 ton is being over loaded. It is a matter of raising the CG to a level that is unsafe. I don't think the above the bed deck are safe on either weight of pickup. Now the decks that are right above the frame is a different story. Putting a over the bed deck on a 3\4 ton truck lifted or not isn't safer. It may feel that way but it is really the center of gravity that is making it unsafe. Your looking at 1200 lbs three feet above where the payload weigh was rated to be hauled. Not including the deck itself. That makes the CG way up high making the truck handle different. Larger payload or bigger brakes are going to help with a higher CG.

Can a sled deck be used on a half or three quarter ton without incident? Yes. People get into trouble with them because of speed. Either on corners, high wind or slick roads. Slow down and maybe have load range E tires and do it.

Now you want to talk about something scary is these pick-ups with the humongous slide in over the cab campers.

Last edited:
S
Sep 14, 2010
where ever I am
When I was young out of work broke and ignorant I cut Fire wood to make ends meet. 1/2 ton 4 X 4 Chevy short box S 10 Pick up 60 thousand miles loaded with Fire wood driving 40 mph rear wheel bearings burned up axles shot out ran off the road almost rolled it. To over load any equipment is risky for you and or the public, products are manufactured with a safety factor built in, when you get to that point and know it you could be held criminally liable in the event you cause injury's to others. DON'T overload your trucks.

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Even though I ran one on my 09 half ton I just bout a new 12' duramax 1 Ton. My truck did good handling that much weight but I can already tell this truck is going to handle the load so much better and have all the power to make it up any hill. I'll post my thoughts after I get my deck on in a month. If anyone is thinking of doing a deck I'd reccomend a 3/4 or 1 ton truck and a diesel. But my half ton did just fine but everyone on here does make valid points of to why it's not a good idea.

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
Have had a deck on 99 1 ton superduty diesel ext cab. And now run on 2000 4 door longbox ford diesel. You can really feel the difference just in the frame difference. I would never put a deck on a 1/2 ton. You can feel them up there on a one ton. If you guy's with 1/2 ton's say you can't feel them I call bs. Maybe running straight down a smooth road no wind, snow, or bumps. Maybe! Sure is nice to set the cruise at 80 and not worry about it taking you for a ride. The reason they set load ratings is for your saftey and the saftey of motorist that you will encounter. You take out someone I love becuase your vehicle is way overloaded and out of control. You better bet I will come guns blazing!

Last edited:
T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
Didn't chevy make a HD1500 for a couple years, early 2000's? What was the difference?

With my 2500HD I can't even tell I have sleds on, it is nice to be able to do 80mph up the pass around curves with two sleds on not have much bodyroll.

July through October I wish I had 1/2 ton!

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I have an 02 1 ton C/C L/B stock height and I can definitely tell the difference in handling when the sleds are on... personally I wouldn't feel comfortable in anything less than a 1 ton. Traction is greatly improved, but cornering and maneuvering are something else entirely when you're not used to the difference and how much more careful you need to be.

Why risk the safety of everyone on the road by pushing your truck right to or beyond it's design limit for a normal load by putting that same load almost 3 ft higher?

Just because you can physically put a sled deck on an under-rated truck doesn't make it legal, safe, or smart.

I just laughed the day I took this pic...

Just because you can, would you?????

100_6792-1.jpg

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
I had a homemade steel deck on my 1/2 ton for a couple months. I didn't mind having just one sled up there...I hauled two sleds once. Granted my truck has pretty soft rear springs in it, and because of the 15" wheels only C rated tires, but it just feels so mushy. Power and braking were just like any other heavy load, but you could feel the body roll bad. The only way I would do it again would be to remove the bed, make an aluminum flatbed (lightweight and as low as possible) replace my 4pack worn out springs with a slightly heavier (more importantly new) 5pack, run air bags, and go through my rear axle to make sure its in tip top shape (which it currently is not), and probably switch to 16" wheels so I can run real truck tires. Being that my truck is about to roll 200k, I don't think I'm interested in dumping that kind of $ in her. Unless someone hits it in the bed and insurance pays out a couple grand...ha

Point being, yea you can feel 1500+lbs up high on a 1/2 ton, and it is not a feeling of safety.

S
Dec 28, 2008
If I were to install air bags and just run one sled on the deck it would be fine, for a year or two until I could afford a 3/4 ton. Then just use my trailer for hauling 2 sleds around or longer trips, I simply just want a deck for convienence of quickly loading and going. On a 1/2 I wouldnt want to toss 2 sleds up there just cause of the weight and CG issues but 1 sled shouldnt be too much on an issue?

S
Dec 28, 2008
I dont want to lose all my box space and that easy lift tail gate isnt really the strongest or best place to put too much stress on, I dont want to replace a crumpled tail gate. being able to lock extra fuel and spare equipment in the box is pretty handy to keep it safe to there are bonus to having a deck even if its just for 1 sled for the time being.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
I think this topic has been beat to death

In summation

Running a deck on a half ton can be done. However, it is not recommended.

3/4 or 1 ton is preferred.

If putting a deck on a half ton, air bags are mandatory IMO. Also, have the HD payload or towing packages are nice. For instance the F150 with HD payload gives you an 8200 GVW. My 11 F150 weighs about 6000 lbs. That should cover two sleds and an aluminum deck.

However, one should also consider the legal part and look at the GVWs and curb weights.

Technically if you went off specs, my 11 F150 has a higher payload then my 01 or 03 Cummins.

My 11 F150 has a 7200 GVW and weighs 6000 lbs. = 1200 lbs payload

My 03 2500 Cummins had an 8800 GVW and weighed 7900 lbs. = 900 lbs payload

However, the comparison in what you could haul is huge. The Cummins did not sag at all with an 800 lb ATV or 3 dirt bikes in the back. Or towing a 4 place enclosed.

I run about 20 lbs in my airbags in my F150 to get rid of the sag hauling the same load as with my Cummins.

Technically if you were in a accident with the Cummins, you might be held liable though.

So, you guys with diesels should check your weights. I wouldn't be surprised if your just as far over with a 3/4 ton diesel as you are with 1/2 ton.

If you have the 1 ton SRW with 9900 GVW you should be all set or a dually no problem.

If I was to run a deck, I would buy 1 ton to be safe. No question about it.

I think my F150 would be fine with a deck but I really have no desire to run a deck.

Just food for thought.

B
Jan 20, 2009
I plan on running a deck and 2 sleds on my 2011 f150 5.0 this year, as much as i'd love to trade it for a 3/4 or a 1 ton I just can't afford it. I imagine most people are the same way

Premium Features