• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ok. I lied.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I told folks my 11 cutler stage II was pull & go...

I lied.

2600 miles I finally had a problem that cost me real riding time. SH**!!:face-icon-small-dis

Had the set screw on my cutler weight shear off & the roller was flatter than Justin Beiber.

Gonna be getting ahold of racinstation tomorrow, and get something coming.

Dogmeat is tellling me I need to get a thunder products 911... hard to justify that kind of $$. You other guys that have it, would you spend that money again?

That would put me at around $900 for this fix if I also get the billet spider... getting PRICEY!!!!!

Need a spider rebuild and a weight at a minimum... what do you guys think.

Dang unreliable turbos... I'm going back to a stocker :face-icon-small-win :D

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Oh, I'm plenty happy with how this sled has done.

Just wanting to figure out which direction to go on the primary.

Billet spider (stock lasted 2600... and isn't what failed), 911, both, or just slap another stocker on there & replace the bad weights. (one is pretty trashed, the other has small steps on it... 3rd one looks clean for some reason.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Why not call steve and get some weights (MDS), if you don't like them you get a refund anyway. I'll pay the shipping if you don't keep them.

Happy with what you have, lol until you gain major track speed with the same octane and boost.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I've already got a cutler torsional secondary... and it seems that nobody wants to say that they can work together. I'm not playing guinea pig for anybody without getting paid.

I'm more curious about whether the billet spider and 911 kit are worth the $$... seems like a LOT of money for both. The billet spider beyond doubles the cost of a primary, and the 911 comes close to doing that.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I've already got a cutler torsional secondary... and it seems that nobody wants to say that they can work together. I'm not playing guinea pig for anybody without getting paid.

I'm more curious about whether the billet spider and 911 kit are worth the $$... seems like a LOT of money for both. The billet spider beyond doubles the cost of a primary, and the 911 comes close to doing that.

your loss.

I would just replace the clutch and go, it only has to last until you upgrade again.
Just keep an eye on the secondary, if it wears out and start to bind it can cause the primary to fail again. Maybe get it rebuilt, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt.

K

knzee

Dec 29, 2008
Great Falls, MT
Why not call steve and get some weights (MDS), if you don't like them you get a refund anyway. I'll pay the shipping if you don't keep them.

Happy with what you have, lol until you gain major track speed with the same octane and boost.

I guess I'm lost here. If my sled us spinning 8300 rpm's with stock weights and it would spin 8300 with mds weights how can you gain "major track speed"? I can see how a different profile would change the shift pattern but if they are both spinning the same motor rpm how can the gear ratio change just due to weights?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
more grip and better backshift, I gained 9mph track speed, same rpm, same boost (6lbs), same hill, same elevation (10,400ft), same day. If you want more info go to the MDS thread, this one is intended for other questions.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Clutch

I would buy a new one. The thing about the bullet spider is yes might be better but you are putting it on a used clutch when you can buy a new clutch for about the same money or less. I have weights tell me what kind of weight it is . I take the CPC weights out all the time and they just sit on my shelf.

I have a set of 85G IT
and a set of 90G TM
50 a set.

If you want to try my weight I will give you a deal. My weights will work with your clutch.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Stay with the stock primary. Cutler weights are not really that bad priced for what you get, just get a new set. I did not see a noticeable difference with the MDS weights running the cutler secondary setup. Dale knows clutching really well and his weights work well with his secondary setup.

bart0678

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
I would buy a new one. The thing about the bullet spider is yes might be better but you are putting it on a used clutch when you can buy a new clutch for about the same money or less. I have weights tell me what kind of weight it is . I take the CPC weights out all the time and they just sit on my shelf.

I have a set of 85G IT
and a set of 90G TM
50 a set.

If you want to try my weight I will give you a deal. My weights will work with your clutch.

Kevins Weights work great for the turbo sleds. I picked up a few sets last season for my tm1000 project and have been impressed. Great price too
Adam

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Weight profiles are HUGE in how the sled puts power to the ground, how the weight is distributed also is a big factor.

I find it hard to believe that the MDS weights won't work with the cutler setup... It amazes me that neither Kelsey, or Steve has taken the initiative to figure out how to work with the other for a great setup. (Dale has his own weights, not much motivation to change for him)

S

sledheadjake

Aug 31, 2009
Bonners Ferry ID
I had racin station rebuild my clutch with a billet spider and had kevin at mmsports grind me some weights and set me up with a spring,I have to say my sled has ran spot on this year with this new setup!The cost of it all was around 575 if i remember right

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Stay with the stock primary. Cutler weights are not really that bad priced for what you get, just get a new set. I did not see a noticeable difference with the MDS weights running the cutler secondary setup. Dale knows clutching really well and his weights work well with his secondary setup.

Mark,

How much effort did you put into making that work? I know you're not exactly one who shies away from the testing required to make a setup shine, so if you put some time into it, I don't see where I'd see an improvement.

My one reason that I'm thinking about going to MDS is to be able to have more reliable reverse somewhere other than on the sled deck or in the parking lot. The torsional setup requires such constant perfection in your deflection to work on anything that's not flat.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
The secondary kits are built to fix the clutching, the MDS weights are built to fix the clutching, they don't really go together. You can't really fix a fix. But without cutler, RKT, or MDS trying to make them work I don't think anyone is going to trust someone saying they do or don't work.
I have never seen rpm stay within 50rpm other than with MDS, amazing backshift.

But I also trust MM, and he says he can make it all better. I still like being able to try something with a money back guaranty.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kaleb

I have not done a lot of testing with the MDS weights. I have swapped weights back and forth between the cutler and MDS with the cutler secondary conversion. MDS weights seemed to work a little better on the bottom and mid and not really a difference on the top. Both backshifted well and both sets of weight never created much belt heat.

I like cutlers secondary conversion, I think it really works well, just does not fit my riding style. I like a much harder pull off the bottom and mid. I will be going back to my tried and true setup for the secondary that I have ran in all my direct drive sleds. I will be running the MDS weights with that setup as the MDS weights have a better profile for the shift characteristics that I perfer.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I like cutlers secondary conversion, I think it really works well, just does not fit my riding style. I like a much harder pull off the bottom and mid. I will be going back to my tried and true setup for the secondary that I have ran in all my direct drive sleds. I will be running the MDS weights with that setup as the MDS weights have a better profile for the shift characteristics that I perfer.

That sounds like what I would prefer given the choice. The only place this sled lacks is in the nasty, snappy bottom end I'm used to from the 1000's.

In Soft snow it's almost instant, but in stiffer snow it's just a bit slow on how quick it snaps into power.

If the MDS create that much more bottom, they'd be worth it.

As to the 9mph wyo is talking about... I run 80-90 mph already... don't care if I even lose a little top end for more bottom.

Premium Features