• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Truck?

Best overall truck?

• Ford F150

Votes: 277 32.1%
  • GMC Sierra 1500

Votes: 65 7.5%
  • Chevrolet 1500

Votes: 61 7.1%
  • Chevrolet 1500HD

Votes: 137 15.9%
  • Toyota

Votes: 85 9.8%
  • Dodge

Votes: 239 27.7%

• Total voters

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
First off the gmc and chevy are the exact same truck more or less and the 1500 HD is a light 3/4 ton(gas hog), as far as best depends on what you do. the GM Engine and trans has proven to be the most reliable hands down. The 1500 series GM gets the best overall mpg and good power, but if you hammer it on rough roads you will be replacing front end parts more often then the others, (sometimes) the foreign trucks are a joke IMO. But these days they all are pretty sound in the 1/2 ton market up to 150000, the gm truck are good for over 200000 I've seen many go way past that. Fords just suck, after watching 3 freinds pop spark plugs out of the heads on the 5.4triton and having to replace major parts, no thanks, I also have yet to see any other engine failures in less than 150,000 on any of the others and have seen 4 5.4 tritons go down in the last year, usually just over 100,000.

Last edited:

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
loved our F150.. truck was bullet proof and pulled like a freight train... but when we got into the bigger trailers we went with a F250.. truck was a breast to drive around town... last two trucks have been the Dodge 2500 with the diesel... both autos, pull the big trailer and decent to drive around town....

Burr

Premium Member
Jan 10, 2008
Luverne Mn
The Wy truck a 97 dodge with cummins and 5 speed with 365000 miles on motor that has never been worked on.Uses no oil and still pulls just fine.

K
Aug 14, 2010
whitefish
Stay away from the 98 to 02 f250's with the V-10....they all blow spark plugs out of the aluminum heads and usually when your out in the middle of no where.

Z

zr600

Oct 26, 2001
Bismarck ND
I have an 03 Chevy 1500hd. When i bought it i wanted more than a standard 1500 but couldn't afford the diesel so that is why i bought. It has done a good job for what i want it for and has done more than i have asked it to. I pull a fithwheel camper with it in the summer and it does pretty good with that it weights close to 10000lbs, except with mileage. For pulling sled its way better than the 5.3 and gets the same mileage loaded as a 5.3 does loaded. I have heard mixed results about mileage on the 5.3 have heard 12 from one friend and another says 15-18. I get about 12 average and it doesn't matter if its on the highway or in town, towing any where from 8 when towing 2-4 sleds to 5 when towing my camper.

R
Jan 25, 2009
Had an 03 GMC 1500 Z71 with a 5.3, awesome fuel economy, at 105km/h on the highway it would get 20+ mpg with 285 tires, pulled a two place trailer lots with it, did pretty good, actually wish I would have kept it. Now I have an 08 Duramax, kicks *** but not near the economy of my 1500, but it does tow the enclosed trailer with 5 sled nicely along at 110. I have also pulled the same two place trailer a bit with a friends Tundra, very nice truck, if I were going to buy another half ton, it would probably be a tundra. Stay away from the 5.4l ford, like mentioned before that engine is garbage, sure some guys going to reply and say he has 2 million miles trouble free with one but how many gm's or dodge's have you heard about blowing spark plugs out of the heads?? lets be honnest here.

Go test drive a GM/Chev product and a Tundra. Toyota has a great resale value.

L
Dec 2, 2007
Elizabeth, CO
What these polls are is a tribute to brand loyalty, not scientific and open-minded analysis of which vehicle is the best made or best performing.

I've extensively driven every brand discussed here, and there is one that is so clearly superior that it needs it's own category, yet it's listed as 21% favorable. Old habits are hard to get rid of, as are traditions, such as every person in a particular area driving a Ford or Chevy, or if they have no choice or super low expectations, a Dodge.

Drive a Tundra back to back with anything else made, and you'll have a new favorite. If you are really honest about determining which vehicle is superior, you'll know.

M
Mar 7, 2008
all of the guys i snowmobile with/tow trailers, ALL, are driving diesel trucks. i was the last hold out in a gas truck. if toyota had a diesel option i would consider. my good friend/next door neighbor sold his duramax for a tundra (he rarely tows now and when does he tows a small camper / small trailers and is not in our snowmobile riding group) and still favors his duramax far above his gas tundra for anything heavy. but does not tow much anymore so went to gas tundra (note he did not buy a gas chevy to replace the duramax)
if you are looking for light gas truck with minimal towing would agree with considering tundra. we have used my neighbors tundra for light duty - hauling wood/couple 4 wheelers on light trailer and works well for that.

L
Dec 2, 2007
Elizabeth, CO
I guess it depends on your definition of light towing. A Tundra will haul 7,000 pounds up a steep mountain pass at 70 MPH in the heat of the summer with the A/C on at 9,000 elevation. Nothing out tows a diesel, but I can't stand the noise, and don't have any heavy trailers. I was referring to build quality.

S
Dec 10, 2007
MT
Tundra has great power for pulling and has the best resale value of all of them so you wont lose as much money when you go to upgrade model years. Dodge overinflates their horsepower ratings( always have) and the fords are just guttless.

T
Dec 25, 2007
Fords used to be gutless....the new motors they have dropped in have reset the clock on those opinions. Have you driven that new 6.2L? I have in the Raptor and it is sweet. Great new motors...but then again, everything feels worlds better to me than my first chevy with that 5.7l which was an absolute gutless wonder past 2nd gear (granted it had a 4:10 rear). I am just impressed that as we go from year to year they find ways to get the same gas mileage out of the truck and crank out hp/trq that used to be reserved for the heavy mods. All I can say is bring on more!

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Fords blowing plugs out of the heads.... need to replace at 60k intervals then shouldn't have an issue. yeah I know, its a poor design, plug still fires why would you replace it? Just how it is...

My 96' Ford works great, had it since I was 16 (6 years now)and as you may imagine I've beat the sh*t out of it in a variety of ways. Anyway, it once supposedly had 230hp/330trq, and it has always done what you described needing a truck for. Since all the newer 1/2 tons surpass my old beater by light years, there's no justifying a diesel or anything larger than a 1/2 ton in your situation.

onepicknick

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I have a 01 3/4 dodge cummins 240000 mile on her all she does is pulls trailers now great truck. Just bought a brand new 10 3500 laramie dodge cummins and I love this truck too pulls a #13000 boat with ease. This truck would of cost me 52000 at one dealer I bought it from Dave Smith Motors and saved 10000.00 call them and you might just walk out with a new truck he's an invoice dealer.

T

tomtana

Mar 17, 2009
for the price Dodge is handsdown the best truck!I just traded an 08 duramax for a new dodge (have had all 3 FDC) all good trucks but take the 5 k you can save buying a dodge and put it towards a new cat!

Premium Features