• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 CRF450r Exhaust and Tune

A
Dec 5, 2008
Hey,
I have a CRF450R with a Mountain Horse Kit, and its the schnitzle. I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on exhaust systems and ecu's or programmers. Whats good.....and whats good to stay away from. Thanks for the help.
Erik

heres a link to a GOPRO helmet cam vid from this weekends ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ACL48E5tx0

:devil::devil::devil::devil::devil:

AkBob

Premium Member
Apr 3, 2008
Great video, looks like an awesome day. Wish we had that kind of snow.

I am a new Mountain Horse owner.... have one day one my setup. My bike is a 2005 Yamaha WR 450F. After a brief ride, I adjusted the suspension to 80lbs front shock, 70lbs rear shock and added the 1/4" spacer on top of the coupler block. The goal was to reduce front ski pressure. Much better than the initial setup for my weight and snow conditions. I wondered what others have done. I have not moved the limiter strap yet, nor have I tried removing any of the "bottom spacers" out of the coupler block. I also suspect that I have some carb icing issues as the bike stalled a few times or would not idle. Seemed to clear up if I would keep it running for a minute before I took off again. I opened the airbox and found it clean... no snow dust and I routed the carb vent lines into the airbox, so I don't think they were plugging with snow. The carb was surrounded with snow however. Any suggestions as to reducing ski pressure and curing the icing issue ( if that is the problem) would be appreciated.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I have a 2008 wr450 as well , how did you find the power in deep snow?

How does the smalish ski work in deep snow?

Looking to go snowbike here before long

How is it on hardpack trails.

I know lots of questions.

thanks.

A
Dec 5, 2008
The Power in the powder is good...but I want more. Stock would be fine but I like lots of power. They are squirly on the trail, and hardpack stuff isn't any fun, but it all makes up for it when you get the fresh stuff. If you are a trail rider Im not sure if Id recommend the mountain horse. If you like to play in the mountains, in deep snow, this kit is for you. They flat out go places sleds just can't go. It was 2-3 feet of fresh in the video and the Horse was doing fine. just when you think you could be stuck a little pull of the ski or a little throttle in first and you can climb out of just about anything. Ok enough typing Im going RIDING!!! Ill post another edit up sometime later this evening. Im ordering a yoshimura rs4 and the power commander 5 today. after that will be a slipper clutch, the auto tune and the lcd screen.

A
Dec 5, 2008
akbob- what do you weight? I adjusted my suspension this morning, witht the sample pressures like your talking about. My bike is EFI so i don't have frozen carb issues. how ever in the deep snow i get alot of snow build up in the airbox, it hasen't affected me yet but I need to keep an eye on water in the oil and a few other things. Heat is a good thing to keep in your tank because of the condensation made from the engin melting the snow so close to the intake. other than that i can't think of anything.

AkBob

Premium Member
Apr 3, 2008
Snow Bike Setup

Powder Muncher..... WR450 power in deep snow is a nonissue. I agree with Actualle.... narrow packed trail riding is a handful particularly at my newbie skill level. As long as there is enough snow to get off the carbide, you are fine. Off trail is astounding. You can pick a line thru trees and idle up hills in
1st gear, stop, start, change your mind and NOT GET STUCK. unbelievable.

Actualle... I am 6'4 and weigh about 215-220 with riding gear and pack. I have the accessory gas can on the back. Last night I adjusted the rear suspension to 85lbs front shock and 65lbs rear shock. Adjusted the chains again. I rerouted the carb vent lines to the air box. I, too had some water in the airbox. I cut out the embossed vent holes and covered with frog skin but I did not cover the two vent holes under the seat. Tonight I will use some flow rite material and cover the two remaining vents and see if that works.

My goal is to reduce ski pressure some.... I will experiment with shock pressure first, the rear coupler block spacers second and limiter strap third. If you find something interesting let us know

T
Nov 24, 2010
Great vid. Best one i've seen in a while.
You should get a combo 3rd person and helmet cam on a blue bird day. Problem I have is finding someone who is talented and willing to run the cam on such a nice day. I t always ends up being me viddin everyone else ride sleds.
Again...Cool footage man. Lets see some more from all the one skiiers.

Oz

Premium Features