• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Deleting the Air Box?

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
After riding in 4ft of powder this past weekend on my Ktm 525 w/ Timbersled kit I found there is a problem with the powder getting into and past the air filter. Even with a prefilter over my foam filter I found that snow was being sucked into the carb. I would like to try a different filter setup like a K&N type filter with a prefilter over it without the air box. If anybody has any input on this and what size filter I would need that would be great.

F

FrozenMOTO

Jul 21, 2010
Moscow, Idaho
KTM makes a hard part sxs filter. It is a K&N filter with different box setup. I dont know if it will fit the 525 or not but you might check!

You can borrow the pod filter off my 2moto if it will fit on your bike. It still gets plugged with snow, but you can reach down with your hand and clean it off without stopping.
I think I'm going to try frogskins on the outside of the airbox before I decide to remove the airbox altogether.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Darren thanks for the offer I might have to give that a whirl. Like you I was also thinking about making my airbox air tight and drilling a bunch of holes in it and putting frog skins everywhere. I think this would be a better setup than the pod filter. All I know is that after last weekend I need to do something different cause my bike ran like shat. I think I sucked in more snow than air.

T
Nov 24, 2010
Do all you guys run the Timbersled kit? Just asking because I havent had an issue with my 2moto. But where I live in coastal Alaska, we dont hardly ever get that Rocky mountain fluff. Usually alot more dense snow compared.

Oz

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
Iced carb

I see I'm not the only one with the frozen carb now. I ordered the heated carb from a skidoo sled to install on my 500. Run a home built kit. I have my air box screened over real good and still freeze up so I felt this would be the best option.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Well I rode yesterday and thought I would report my findings. I ended up just duct taping all of my seams and gluing foam along the top of my rear fender and subframe so the seat would seal tight against the foam and I don't think I had any snow in my airbox all day. I was riding in deep very dry powder too. I was going to drill some holes in the cover and put prefilter material over them but ran out of time so I ran it without any additional venting. Still working on getting my jetting figured out but the bike ran 100% better than the previous weekend.

Last edited:
Premium Features