• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TIRES!! (again): Goodyear Duratrac vs. Cooper ATW death match

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Pretty sure you misunderstood them on the duratracs.
They said they’re not worth ****, not the shizz.

I couldn’t get rid of them fast enough, very soft side wall for loads. Pulled them and put them on an old farm truck.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Yeah design-wise the cooper atw looks like a snow tire. I just have a bunch of people telling me the duratracs are the shizz. To be fair though, it's mostly friends who drive TO snow, not wake up in it so much. I'd say ice stability is more a priority over trenching it up in fresh snow. Slamming on brakes for other idiots on an icy road is a bigger issue.

Honestly, I've never had an issue with blizzaks in deep, un-tracked snow. That's on trucks with clearance and the V2 versions. So I'm not sure the big lug all terrain is something I really need. Our snow is coastal wetter heavy stuff usually, not that super cold light snow that kind of has its own traction sometimes.

Basically I'm just looking for the closest thing to a blizzak that doesn't turn to mush in warm weather and start to fall apart. I think right now the ATWs look the best. I do drive the thing in the summer but it's not my main vehicle.

I wanted good snow an ice traction as well. Last winter I put these on my Duramax because my nieghbors (riding buds) Seirra HD handled the snow so well with them. I was impressed. Love the tires.

Rotiiva.jpg

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I LOVE my ATWs. Only complaint I have would be tread life but they are a soft winter tire on a 3/4 ton pickup that almost always has a trailer behind it. They are relatively cheap though so not a BIG deal. My biggest concern is getting where we are going safely... not how many miles I get out of the tires... also no one likes being stuck in the lot.

You for sure won’t be disappointed with them as long as you don’t expect get a ton of miles out of them. Traction seems great in all conditions. I find myself to be much more confident in poor conditions than I have been with any other tire. They are quiet for an all terrain tire as others mentioned, and they drive nice on dry roads as well. No “wandering” feeling like most all terrains have.

I’m on my second set and will be buying them again when this set is wore out. No comments on Duratracs, never owned a set but people seem to like them.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I run mine year round btw, but drive my pickup very little in the summer. There would probably be more economical choices when it comes to longevity, but who knows the ATW may last much longer on a half ton gasser.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Tire discussions are always beat to death, but they are fun anyway.

I switched to Duratrac's and they are expensive. They are also available in E ratings. I was surprised to find out how relatively quiet they are. My Toyo AT2's were much louder. People warned me that they sway a little more than others and I think that is true. But they look great and do awesome in the dirt. This coming season will be my first in the snow. I wanted a more aggressive tire because I was getting stuck in the parking lots going sledding. I only commute a couple miles to work so mileage isn't a factor for me.

I think you need to gauge if you want aggressive snow/mud capabilities or ice traction. It's hard to get it all in one.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Ice and snow for sure.

Just got some 10ply/E cooper ATWs ordered.

thanks for all the chat!

Last edited:
Premium Features