• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Track clip question

G
Sep 28, 2011
Bought a demo axys last year with the 2.6. Needless to say it has the usual track wear. My question is it too late to fully clip my track? It’s worn pretty good the threads are starting to show. Most or the track is like the picture but I got a hell of a deal so I guess I can’t complain too much. Just want to know if new clips will clamp tight enough... thanks

4E59EED2-FC8A-425C-A37D-3707E38B720F.jpg

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
So the question is......To clip or not to clip????

I've got some of that wear, not as bad and I know others have had the same or worse. Some say clip it and some say leave it????

I guess I'm curious, how many guys are actually doing it and is it worth it, especially when I trade every two to three years???????

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
So the question is......To clip or not to clip????

I've got some of that wear, not as bad and I know others have had the same or worse. Some say clip it and some say leave it????

I guess I'm curious, how many guys are actually doing it and is it worth it, especially when I trade every two to three years???????

You have to clip it, no choice unless you want to buy a new track just so you can sell/trade it. Or stay on the trail as it is the guys who side hill these sleds that see the worst wear.

First year may not be so bad but once down to the cords it goes super fast.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
You have to clip it, no choice unless you want to buy a new track just so you can sell/trade it. Or stay on the trail as it is the guys who side hill these sleds that see the worst wear.

First year may not be so bad but once down to the cords it goes super fast.

So I wonder if anyone has had any luck with getting a track replaced under warranty???

Seems ridiculous that a mountain sled designed for backcountry, deep powder, off camber riding has a track wear problem, especially evident during off camber riding??????

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
ive heard of NO ONE able to get the warranty on the track....they say its a wear item {they act like its a set of 60$ HI faxes} it takes a visible defect in the track to get it replaced and the clips in the wrong spot is more like a bad idea {that they wont admit to!} than a defect. clip it so you can sell it in a few years or clip it so you can ride it for a few but either way CLIP IT !!

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Check out my thread i started. I might be having issues with the pictures showing up now, but i think clipping my track made it start splitting by the newly added clips. Not sure if you can win either way...

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Check out my thread i started. I might be having issues with the pictures showing up now, but i think clipping my track made it start splitting by the newly added clips. Not sure if you can win either way...

I did see your thread on this, hence another reason why I raise more questions.

They never had a problem like this before, which is documented with how many other sleds out there and now with a change on the track, there are issues? Obviously this is not an isolated incident with the amount of concerns being voiced!!

I agree that some wear could be normal but.......this is NOT normal, this is more "excessive" wear and "abnormal" wear.

So.....If I purchased a set of tires and they are warrantied for say 50K miles and they began to fail, we'll say come apart, and they show NO signs of abuse, that would be "normal" wear and I'm out???

I understand manufacturers cannot warranty everything but come on, when there is a documented issue, take care of the customer otherwise another manufacturer will.

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Polaris responded to my warranty claim saying heat caused it from taking the sled down the trail. Nothing to do with sidehilling. That's a new one on me.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Polaris responded to my warranty claim saying heat caused it from taking the sled down the trail. Nothing to do with sidehilling. That's a new one on me.

Interesting...

I would be curious to know what Polaris has told other people when this has been brought up ??????

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho

We've had 3 and all have significant wear. We are fortunate to ride very few trail miles but side hill constantly. It's crap engineering and foolish warranty policy. Between this and rpm fade issues definitely open to other brands. Bad business to bite the hand that feeds you.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
So I wonder if anyone has had any luck with getting a track replaced under warranty???

Seems ridiculous that a mountain sled designed for backcountry, deep powder, off camber riding has a track wear problem, especially evident during off camber riding??????

Yes, I have a new track this season from Polaris but not because the windows were worn. They deigned that. It was not until the rear wheels came through splits in the track that they accepted it.

They said the wear was from running too loose so I tightened to spec. and it ripped through shortly after.

DuraPro

DuraPro - Perfection by Design™
Lifetime Membership
Feb 26, 2017
Evergreen, Colorado
www.DuraProUSA.com
My $0.02
One of my good buddies has a 2016 axys Pro RMK and his track looked the exact same as yours before the 2016/2017 season. He fully clipped it with original OEM Camso clips and with a hardened tool off of Ebay. At the same time, replaced his hyfax. Needless to say, after another 500 miles of riding last year, his track and hyfax look perfect. In my opinion, definitely clip... $100 and an extra 2.9 pounds is much cheaper than an $850 track + hyfax!

G
Sep 28, 2011
I got my clips on. Wasn’t too bad with the clamp style tool. My question is, are the clips tight enough? The clip on the left is the new one. Got them as tight as I could with the tool I had....

7B3F54E6-F968-4194-AABC-C48CE08E471B.jpg

LongHorn XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
I got my clips on. Wasn’t too bad with the clamp style tool. My question is, are the clips tight enough? The clip on the left is the new one. Got them as tight as I could with the tool I had....

Yes, it looks tight enough. The tool I used would only crimp it about like yours. All of my clips are still on after 2 trips. YB

W

Wood

Dec 7, 2007
Bringing this back up...can someone tell me what the Camso part number is for the correct clips? Thanks.

Premium Features