• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Idaho side of the great burn legal until may 1st

O
Dec 5, 2009
CDA, ID
I talked to the appeals coordinator. He said they have received roughly 25 appeals. Five of those they have disqualified.

He said the area will have the same usage restriction as were in place prior to this decision. The old usage restrictions will be in place until the appeal process is over - which could take us to the May 1st time frame.

After all the appeals are heard a group of Forest Service people (from other National Forests) review the appeals. Their recommendations go up the ladder and the results could mean the decision stands and moves forward, gets changes, or gets scrapped and they start over. If it stands and moves forward the next step is to sue.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
What's the latest? We rode it Sunday...was sorta nostalgic and melancholy at the end of the day as we sat on the top of the test hill on the way out on Sunday.

One of the pages that I read in the new travel plan didn't convince me that "Surveyor" is going to be closed to sledding.

I also heard a rumor TODAY that the May 1st deadline is pushed back to next year.

ANYTHING?

Last edited:
O
Dec 5, 2009
CDA, ID
I received some paperwork from the Forest Service last week. I glanced it over to try and find a decision. From what I can tell the appeal did nothing and the Forest Service's travel plan will stand.

Someone please correct me if I read it wrong - but I think we lost this great area.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Can someone dig up the links to the travel plan description and the maps again?

S

sledheadjake

Aug 31, 2009
Bonners Ferry ID
Are you talking about the caribou closure they are trying to get through up here in bonners ferry? We have a public meeting on it at the highschool on the 28 of April this sat at 2:00pm .I don't see hoe they can close it if nothing is set in place yet

Premium Features