• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Please help me understand!

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Okay, so I am writing a speech about how the department of interior should discontinue expanding wilderness areas and critical habitats.

Some of the sources that got posted here such as
http://heraldnet.com/article/20110925/OPINION03/709259983

Mention how Federal land will now be encompassed as National Park land. My question is what does that mean for us snowmobilers? Because from the link I provided above it looks like that land will be available to the public, so does this mean no snowmobiles only?

The main question is which lands are snowmobiles not allowed on? Also, which lands are snowmobiles not allowed on, but other users are?

Thanks!

O
Dec 6, 2007
The main question is which lands are snowmobiles not allowed on? Also, which lands are snowmobiles not allowed on, but other users are?

Thanks!

Snowmobiles are currently restricted from "wilderness designations". The USFS and BLM also use a designation that closes areas to "winter over snow travel" that would be sleds. Park lands/monuments are typically closed or restricted in some way to over snow travel. Some larger, more popular parks permit sled rides in designated areas, like Yellowstone.

The USFS maintains maps showing what is open and closed in forest areas.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
Special winter wildlife habitat is usually closed to sledding. There is some of that in the West Yellowstone area.

M
Mar 7, 2008
Okay, so I am writing a speech about how the department of interior should discontinue expanding wilderness areas and critical habitats.

Some of the sources that got posted here such as
http://heraldnet.com/article/20110925/OPINION03/709259983

Mention how Federal land will now be encompassed as National Park land. My question is what does that mean for us snowmobilers? Because from the link I provided above it looks like that land will be available to the public, so does this mean no snowmobiles only?

Thanks!

Resources - Citizens for Balanced Use, Families For Outdoor Recreation, Blue Ribbon Coalition. All have websites/contacts. Thanks for researching/doing!!

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
That's a weird comment Cle. Like he can't learn the subject, with some help from forum members, and write a speech. He's probably a high school or college student... Dude go for it. Great subject,good luck.

That's a weird comment Cle. Like he can't learn the subject, with some help from forum members, and write a speech. He's probably a high school or college student... Dude go for it. Great subject,good luck.

What is so weird about my comment? I am basically telling him the information is available and lucky for him it is available on the internet these days (some put out there by me), so he will not even have to drive to a library. I am just not a big fan of folks requesting to be fed information for homework or speeches. That is all I am saying. Just do a little research on the internet.

And in the end, my post was more helpful than yours, as you provided no help at all. At least I told him the information is out there. :face-icon-small-con

So let me rephrase my previous post:

Good subject. Good luck. The information is available not only all over the internet, but in many threads in this land use section, on the BCR forum, on other forums, on the Snowmobile Alliance website, BRC website, etc. Look around and if you have a specific question about some of the information you find, I would be happy to help you.

Last edited:
Premium Features