• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Old Fright or Flight thread

D

DOO DAWG

Dec 9, 2007
Arlington Wa. USA
Does anyone else remember a thread on a study done showing that hikers are more likely to make an animal expend much more Needed energy by startling them, whereas an atv or snowmobile gives them more warning (noise). It was on here a long time ago. If I could find, it I'd like to use it on some arrogant hunters ( I am a hunter) on another forum I visit biotching about how much harm we do to wildlife.
I would appreciate it if someone has it.

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
http://www.snowmobilers.org/facts_sound.html

Hey Doo, not sure if this is what your looking for exactly, but it sure fits the bill. Pretty interesting read actually.
I also hunt, seems to me that next time I go, I'm gonna ride my snowmobile around the woods! :face-icon-small-ton

I really liked this paragraph :

Addressing the subject of snowmobile operations in Yellowstone National Park, Jack Anderson, a former Superintendent of Yellowstone commented: "We found that elk, bison, moose, even the fawns, wouldn't move away unless a machine was stopped and a person started walking. As long as you stayed on the machine and the machine was running, they never paid any attention. If you stopped the machine, got off and started moving, that was a different story. The thing that seemed to be disturbing to them was a man walking on foot".

And:

A three-year study, Response of white-tailed Deer to Snowmobiles and Snowmobile Trails in Maine, conducted by wildlife scientists for the Maine Cooperative Wildlife Research Unit and the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife, revealed that: "Deer consistently bedded near snowmobile trails and fed along them even when those trails were used for snowmobiling several times daily. In addition, fresh deer tracks were repeatedly observed on snowmobile trails shortly after machines had passed by, indicating that deer were not driven from the vicinity of these trails? The reaction of deer to a man walking differed markedly from their reaction to a man on a snowmobile? This decided tendency of deer to run with the approach of a human on foot, in contrast to their tendency to stay in sight when approached by a snowmobiler, suggests that the deer responded to the machine and not to the person riding it".

And my favorite:

The Wisconsin study also compared the reaction of deer to the presence of cross-country skiers. When cross-country skiers replaced snowmobiles on the test trail systems, the deer moved away from the trail more frequently.

Bag

Last edited:

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Doo,
Wow, what a bunch of . . . I liked the guy that said ATV's should be allowed on the National Forest roads "Just like any other street legal vehicle". Uhmmm, is his quad street legal and licensed?

I have to tell you, they have stopped quads from running the area around our cabin and I am happy. I am NOT a rabid enviro nut, but they have not allowed the atv's in our area for 7 years now and there are still trails all over the woods from when they did run there.

Thanks for being active and presenting your veiwpoint!

Bag

Does anyone else remember a thread on a study done showing that hikers are more likely to make an animal expend much more Needed energy by startling them, whereas an atv or snowmobile gives them more warning (noise). It was on here a long time ago. If I could find, it I'd like to use it on some arrogant hunters ( I am a hunter) on another forum I visit biotching about how much harm we do to wildlife.
I would appreciate it if someone has it.

I quote the research studies all of the time went I submit comment letters. And I know I posted up information on here with links to the studies but I don't have them handy at the moment. Maybe search for my handle and "affects on wildlife".

Edit.

Is this it?
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148690&highlight=affects+on+wildlife

Last edited:
Premium Features