• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

cold starting

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
one more question, how do the 450 carb bikes start in the cold, like 0-10 degrees, i am in mn some mornings it is -15! will they even run?

SNOADDICT

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I have a 505 ktm carbed with electric start only and at first I had issues starting it but I have made a couple changes to both my technique and my bike and it will start in any temp now. First because of the fact that I only have electric start I had to install a much larger battery in order to be reliable. Second normally in the summer I never touch the throttle before cranking but in the winter I give it six or so twists before cranking if it doesn't start six more today it was minus twenty five degrees C and it stated just fine with this method.

Robster

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Sweden
I ride a YZ450F -05 right now and have to kickstart it. Works great at least to down to -15 where I have tried it so far. Will buy a wr450f instead though, since I want electric start, lights and most of all a really low 1st gear.

Rob

Premium Features