• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M1000 vs Polaris Pro

MikeMetzger

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2013
Edmonds Wa
I'll be upgrading from my 05' M7 over the summer, and I keep going back and forth between a 11+ Pro, or a moded M1000. Hoping that someone who has experience with both would be able to point me in the right direction.

My technical boondocking style seems best fit for the bro, however at 6ft5 220 athletic build, I feel throwing the M1 wouldn't be too tough.

Anyways, just curious what people who have experience with both would say. Here is an example of the sleds Ive been looking at.

Pro: (Killer price)
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/rvs/3760082843.html

M1: (Killer Sled)
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/mcy/3766745539.html

Thanks guys!

*************Darn, maybe this should be in the M-series Threads?********************

Last edited:

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
sleds

do you want a 200HP 500 lb sled (m1000) or a 140HP- 450 lb sleds (Pro)
that m1000 is really clean and loaded with xtras, being a bigger guy that you are, You will enjoy having the extra HP, I have owned 2 m1000, and 07 w/ full speedwerxs, and a 09 with SLP and PC5, and 2 turbo's, my brother has had 3 pro's which I have ridden, a 11, 12, and now a 13 turbo. I would take the additional HP any day of the week over a lighter sled.

M1000 X 100

MikeMetzger

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2013
Edmonds Wa
Thanks for the feedback!

What about reliability? Any issues with crank bearings etc due to such a large engine/HP?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
People can research the history of each sled's dependability etc....that info is on this forum if you can wade through conjecture and slanted opinions...

I can ONLY speak to one experience on the hill with an M1000 vs a 13 Pro 800 this winter in nice DEEP fresh. Short approach to the hill, wide open, not a tree, steep.

Not sure what track was under the M1000, but the Pro8 was a 155. Both bone stock as far as I know. Both guys were REALLY close in height and weight too.

I watched the m1000 make highmarks, track poaching, and he kept creeping a bit further (10 to 20 feet) up the hill each time he went. He also seemed to get just a bit longer run at the hill each time.

ABout 10 guys present watching this.

Guy on the Pro 800 sat and watched for several minutes then fired up his buggy and took a fresh line right next to the m1000 tracks. He marked him by a good 30 feet. It was said the ground speed looked to be very similar.

Guy on the M got a LONG run at the hill, like 50 yards. Followed the Pro track up the hill and just equaled it exactly.

Winner winner!!!

Last edited:

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Both are good,, the 1000 has had engine issues the one you like is pretty nice. The down fall of the 1000 some people say is engine trouble and weight of coarse, both can be addressed. With the pro ride you get a light weight sled not as powerful as the 10 or newer M8 and an engine problem. There is a cure for the engine it requires the bottom end to sent too one of a couple shops to have slightly longer rods added and then the engine seems to have a lot more life.. The 1000 you can make live by, keeping a semi rich oil mix, not tuning it to the ragged edge, that is, run a little more fuel keeping the egt's down. You will spend some money either way.. On the pro ride the motor and on the1000 weight reduction. Most will say buy the pro ride if want to boondock mostly. You can change the shocks and springs on it for your weight. The M you are interested in has some nice parts but it is the tune you have to be careful of... I like cats so that is why I bought a 1000 it is in the process of being stripped down to change to some better parts and lose some weight. I'm not an all in rider, I do test myself but part of the fun for me is to make the sled work better. It all boils down to how money and what type of riding you like to do.......

MikeMetzger

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2013
Edmonds Wa
Seems like the Pro is quite the sled then

People can research the history of each sled's dependability etc....that info is on this forum if you can wade through conjecture and slanted opinions...

I can ONLY speak to one experience on the hill with an M1000 vs a 13 Pro 800 this winter in nice DEEP fresh. Short approach to the hill, wide open, not a tree, steep.

Not sure what track was under the M1000, but the Pro8 was a 155. Both bone stock as far as I know. Both guys were REALLY close in height and weight too.

I watched the m1000 make highmarks, track poaching, and he kept creeping a bit further (10 to 20 feet) up the hill each time he went. He also seemed to get just a bit longer run at the hill each time.

ABout 10 guys present watching this.

Guy on the Pro 800 sat and watched for several minutes then fired up his buggy and took a fresh line right next to the m1000 tracks. He marked him by a good 30 feet. It was said the ground speed looked to be very similar.

Guy on the M got a LONG run at the hill, like 50 yards. Followed the Pro track up the hill and just equaled it exactly.

Winner winner!!!

Last edited:

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
there is a ton of difference between a stock m1000 and the one listed

RKT head, full pipe, y pipe and can, should be about 200 HP, also with an easy ride rear skid, a stock pro will not touch this thing on a hill, as far as engine, this sled has a new motor which should be good for at least 2000 additional miles. plus it's set up right with dual egt's so you can watch and control your engine temps. Dale Cutler recommends not to run your modded m1000 above 1100 degrees, more like 1050, keep it fat and she's happy. will extend motor life. on average the m1000 motor will hold up to 3k-3,500 miles. plus this m1000 has a lot of weight saving parts, diamond lite drive good for 11 lbs, boss seat , 5 lbs, etc., and we aren't even talking about the engine problems the polaris is having

Last edited:

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Ridden both. My personal sled is an '07 Modded M1000. Hands down the 1000!
I like the Polaris chassis due to it's refinements. The M-series is the most durable chassis I've ever seen and the brute grunt torque and HP of the 1000 makes it much more enjoyable for me. I still flick my sled just fine although it does take a bit less to flick the Poo and I'm 185lbs.

4000+ miles and still going strong. I installed a new top end about 3000 (ported jugs) but the crank is still solid. Some have had engine issues but, any given sled on any given day can have an engine issue.

That 1000 is a great, clean sled with solid upgrades. Cant beat the price for what has been done to that bad boy. :face-icon-small-win

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
I came off a m7 with a updated tunnel and 2010 M skid and went with a pro, I also ride with a M1000 often.

IMO
While the M was and still is a great chassis the Pro platform is far superior in every way. There isn't anywhere the M1 I ride with can get that I cant in fact I go where he cant and the more techy it gets the farther behind he falls. As for your size you would be right at home on the pro.

Another thing to consider is that the M1 is gonna feel like a beast to maneuver compared to your M7.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
FYI, comparing a stock 1000 to a pro... no question, the 1000 is a turd.

Where the 1000 shines is potential. That sled has WAAAAY more power than the pro, and with what has been done should be close in weight to the 11.

I'd take the 1000.

The one thing I'd say though... the rear bumper is SKETCHY. It should have been installed all the way to the tunnel gusset & past it. That setup is asking for a cracked tunnel. I would get a new bumper & re-install, I woudln't ride even once with that setup. I've seen buddies who installed them wrong snap the tunnel right in 1/2 when they're stuck, dumping all their coolant out on the ground & making for a HELLISH day getting back to the truck.

If the motor really is low mile... I'd trust it more than an 11 pro. Also, if the bottom end DOES go... you can get them brand new, pretty cheap from Michelle. I paid 1400 for my last one... try finding a poo bottom end for that.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--The 11 Pro motor is probably at or near the end of its service life, even if it has only 500 miles.... over $5000 for a new engine BTW ...noticed the ad did not list miles... would not matter anyway

--If the Pro motor is stock, the crank is probably shot from the imbalanced pistons, even if the pistons and cylinder skirts have not broken off yet. Additionally, the oil pump is probably set way to lean and the bearings are about to blow. The oil pumps were set around 60:1 and should be 32:1.

--Basically I would take the price of the Pro and deduct the cost for a new '13 engine.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--Is the M1000 upgraded to a 2.25 Power Claw or the 2.6 Power Claw?

--good either way but of course the 2.6 is better

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
With all due respect, there is no comparison between these sleds.

Considering the area's we ride here in the Pac NW, you would be better off keeping your M7 than going with a M1000. Every time I have rode with a M1000, 2 things have happened: Either the motor has broken, or the rider is so exhausted, he cannot continue going on and has to return to the truck.

These weren't stock 1000's.

For the Pac NW, the 1000 is a turd even modified for an aggressive rider. If I lived in BC, then the 1000 would be a consideration.

If you are a mellow rider that rides the groomed trails and ride to each hill climb bowl, then a 1000 might be a consideration....BUT

If you want to discover a new way of riding sleds then jump off the groomed trail into the tight trees all day and find the mind-blowing secret areas. This is where the comparison ends.

Buy the Pro, install a fix kit for $585 and solve the biggest issue. You will be amazed at the difference. I promise you will not regret the decision.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
With all due respect, there is no comparison between these sleds.

Considering the area's we ride here in the Pac NW, you would be better off keeping your M7 than going with a M1000. Every time I have rode with a M1000, 2 things have happened: Either the motor has broken, or the rider is so exhausted, he cannot continue going on and has to return to the truck.

For the Pac NW, the 1000 is a turd even modified for an aggressive rider. If I lived in BC, then the 1000 would be a consideration.

If you are a mellow rider that rides the groomed trails and ride to each hill climb bowl, then a 1000 might be a consideration....BUT

If you want to discover a new way of riding sleds then jump off the groomed trail into the tight trees all day and find the mind-blowing secret areas. This is where the comparison ends.

Buy the Pro, install a fix kit for $585 and solve the biggest issue. You will be amazed at the difference. I promise you will not regret the decision.

Sounds like your friends need to learn to ride and learn to maintain their sleds :D the m1000 engine is much MUCH more durable then any pro. As far as being tired tell your friends to learn to ride and lay off the nachos! It's not a like the sled is a tank, plus saying you'd keep the m7 is so far from helping this guy, he's asking a simple question m1000 or pro. For me the answer is easy with taking the m1000. That one right there I would jump on the offer before it is gone, really nice sled with a ton of money into it. Plus you already know you like the m series chassis. Don't make a mistake and get the pro, it's just a problem waiting to happen.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Knifedge, For you to claim every poo motor is junk at 500 miles is an ignorant statment... A mildly modded 1000 like the one in the ad is no more reliable than the poo motor and in my first hand experience its worse, in fact every 1000 my buddies have or had have had motor failures...

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007

:lol: gotta luv the internet.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
If your friends are tired from riding a m1000 and go back to the pickup mid day

I would get some new friends, the kind that don't wear Pretty Pink Panties, this m1000 is maybe 20 lbs heavier than the M7, but has 60 more HP, so a 6'5" 220 lb guy is not going to notice much difference at all, except alot more power when u want it, and yes the m1000 will make your deltoids burn a bit by the end of the day if you are boon docking alot, but so what man up, no pain no gain. add a little more shoulder into your workout routine, I recommend standing front and side delt flys. problem solved.

MikeMetzger

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2013
Edmonds Wa
Man, this might have made it even harder for me to decide lol. However I do like the

"so what man up, no pain no gain. add a little more shoulder into your workout routine, I recommend standing front and side delt flys. problem solved"

I rode my buddies 2012 Pro and obviously compared to my M7 it was wayyyy more snappy and flickable, but I honestly didnt think it was the $8500 dollars more that it cost. However It was pretty noticeable and annoying when he and my other buddy (06 rev800) were cruising up open hills that my sled was having issues with.

Part of me leans more toward the M1000 just because it seems like 99% of riders I see are on a Pro now a days. I dont know if its just my area, but I saw hundreds of Pros this season and not a single arctic cat snopro, which is really weird.

Thanks for everyones input, I really appriciate it!

Heres the vid from the weekend with my buddy on the pro and the other on the Rev800.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alOEoSszRKU

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Neither, both are over priced.

Huge advantages on either sled to the right rider

pro motor is junk

m1000 motor has to have the right tuner or its just as well junk.

I would take the m1 before the pro because of the engine alone, but can do more with a pro for the way I ride.

Anyone that says the M1000 is a tank has no idea how to set one up right.

For that money you can get a '11 M8 and have the best of both worlds. But if it werent for that pos poo motor I would say take the pro.

Premium Features