• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017/18 Big Horns N/S Snow conditions

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
One down fall about Meadowlark is they are only open 8-6. They won't really kick you out tho. Saturday night they made us a few drinks after 6 and stayed and talked with the employees.

Yep. BYOB!! Get to really!!! know the guys you brought with you! In th comfort of your own room. No bar fights with that crazy drunk local.

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
Yep. BYOB!! Get to really!!! know the guys you brought with you! In th comfort of your own room. No bar fights with that crazy drunk local.

Exactly, we normally stay at either Bear or Arrow but we have not been impressed. Last year we had two people fighting outside or room at 2 in the morning. There was blood all over our door and in the public bathroom. Year before that we hit a storm on the way there and ended up not getting in until like 3 in the morning. When we got to our room it wasn't cleaned from the group before us. There was not a one clean sheet or towel to be found and no employee was around either. I have never seen so many beer can's in my life. Arrow one year the room must have gotten ran into with a car and the wall was pushed in and was drafty and cold. There was only one light bulb that worked in the entire place. Have never really been impressed with those two but stayed because we didn't know about Meadow Lark. I will go back to Meadowlark in a heart beat.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Exactly, we normally stay at either Bear or Arrow but we have not been impressed. Last year we had two people fighting outside or room at 2 in the morning. There was blood all over our door and in the public bathroom. Year before that we hit a storm on the way there and ended up not getting in until like 3 in the morning. When we got to our room it wasn't cleaned from the group before us. There was not a one clean sheet or towel to be found and no employee was around either. I have never seen so many beer can's in my life. Arrow one year the room must have gotten ran into with a car and the wall was pushed in and was drafty and cold. There was only one light bulb that worked in the entire place. Have never really been impressed with those two but stayed because we didn't know about Meadow Lark. I will go back to Meadowlark in a heart beat.

Now don’t say that. The north is the best there is or ever has been.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
They have 3 lodges, bars to get chit faced in so bad you won’t want to ride at all the next day, Some even have a POOL!! Wait, Are we talking about riding fluffy powder off the trail or are we talking about a nice summer vacation??? I’m confused.

maasyoak2

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2017
Have been going to bear lodge the last 5-6 years always had very good luck. Heading back on the 21st again. In all my years Iv never had a problem with them.

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
Found great snow today south of highway 14, parked at elk view. Won't park there again as they don't plow very good. I'd say about 2-3 feet of fresh in the favorable areas. Sort of dense snow with sugar underneath. Did cause a small slab slide on a small hill but it didn't do much, just a reminder that the snowpack is never stable. Find the honey holes and you will be stuck up to your bars. Best snow of the year I would say.
41ca73ff0e3af3a71ccd155921966a4f.jpg
745ce2fca77b65daea102eabd9af7bac.jpg
63ecfa0230013d369477e4b7205eac96.jpg
196e8434ea9ff1f10df9d9996eb0fcca.jpg
f0d833c167f392c80f373b1bb0d97868.jpg

M
Jan 12, 2018
North to south connector

Thanks for the updates and pics everyone!

Was planning a solo ride next week and have always wanted to start up north and take the trail down to the south side. Back the next day.

Anyone done that lately?

Miles and time?

Can it be done ok if the weather were to turn a little bad (I won't try it if there is a chance of the weather going real bad!)

Thanks, Brett

Knox

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2010
North Dakota
Heading out Thursday, however no rooms up top so will be staying in Sheridan, but if someone has two rooms available at any of the three lodges give me a shout it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
Thanks for the updates and pics everyone!

Was planning a solo ride next week and have always wanted to start up north and take the trail down to the south side. Back the next day.

Anyone done that lately?

Miles and time?

Can it be done ok if the weather were to turn a little bad (I won't try it if there is a chance of the weather going real bad!)

Thanks, Brett

I did it about 6 or 7 years ago. I know that some guys from Gillette have been doing it every year. After this last storm I would bet that there is enough to get through paint rock canyon. I believe it's about 75 miles from bear lodge to deer haven but not positive. Time depends on how fast you want to drive. I would bet you could make it in half a day if you didn't play along the way. As far as the weather, I'm not positive how well the trail is marked over by paint rock, but I bet you won't have any trouble.

P
Nov 27, 2007
I did it awhile back, from bear to deer heaven and back in a day, 15 of us, left bear at 7am got back at 8 pm/ It was a long damn day, had 187 miles on my sled when done no playing at all, I would never do it solo, just my 2 cents buddy....

Hawkeye

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Toledo, Iowa
elk lodge area

Elk view lodge, what is the latest snow report?, heading west tomorrow

Thanks

Last edited:

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Just Got a bit dump. Some roads temporarily closed (last night I think) going up the hill. Sposed to be another 4" today and 3" tonight. Flurries tmrw.

0580f0fdd3572cf6d19dc4f073348220.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
N

nytro4

Mar 13, 2011
Southern mn
With this years good snow u should be fine we have gone to the horns many times in mid march and even into the beginning of April and had great riding

M

millnoff

Dec 5, 2007
^ Thinking about doing the same? Bear or elk have wy stickers? Or should we plan on getting those out of the hills somewhere?

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
Bear lodge sells stickers. Not sure about elk view. Rode on Thursday last week the 22nd. Rode from Owens creek lot and west in the hunt mountain road area. Snow was good maybe a foot of powder? but starting to set up from the last couple storms. Could almost go anywhere especially in the open. Only soft snow was in the trees. There is a base forming from the storm a couple weeks ago with sugar under that. Found some new honey holes and didn't get stuck much, but burned lots of gas. If we don't get another storm I will be taking the bike out next.
d9f5f0ab1f55a939ad9f5fa85814838a.jpg

J

jbrennan51488

Jan 27, 2012
I road the south side of the horns this last Saturday. Snow is definitely setting up in most areas and you have to try just to sink more than 6", but we found a few good areas that were still untouched and had some good powder. Get in the trees and it's still pretty good as well. Rode the north side the week before and would say there is maybe slightly more snow there but not much, and you have to work a lot harder just to find some good untracked snow.

Premium Features