• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SLP / Carls stage 3 kits

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
so at my shop elevation of about 2500ft my compression was 125psi in each side. only 5lbs more than my stock 16 compression #s. what are you guys seeing for #s? I kinda expected a bigger difference between the stock head and the slp 6-8k ft domes at this low of elevation? 5lbs doesn't seem like much of a bump in compression??

MaxSimoneau

Premium Member
Oct 5, 2017
At sea level with stock heads I was at 120psi both sides.
Now with the SLP low elevation head I am at 135 psi both sides so for me a gain of 15 psi

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
Just an update, not all my clutch parts came for thr TRS setup so instead i put in all new motor mounts and torque arm mount. Left all Carl's clutching in including the 66g belly buster weights. Rode sled today and rpm didnt change what so ever. 8-8100 was pretty much it, even dipping down to 78-7900 at times. But it seems to be getting power to the track better know. Pulls a little harder, and track speed was up to 45-46 on long pulls, and 41-42 playing in the trees. Swapped in some 64g belly busters just to see and rpm came up to 8250 but felt weak, and track speed went down. Clutches were very hot though after doing some playing with both weights. To hot to touch. Hopefully my springs will show up this week and i can try out the setup from TRS and see what it changes.

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
I to was having trouble pulling rpm's with my slp stage 3 kit this year. No mater how much clutching that I through at it would only pull 8000 rpm's. I really thought that I wasn't getting the pipe hot enough. I finally changed the spark plugs and I got my rpm's back, they were not fouled, just had some carbon build but the electrode look good. It's odd that it never missed a beat but was limiting spark on the big end. I ended up with stock springs, mtx 74 gram weights loaded with 6 grams totaling 80 grams with would be comparable to a 10-76 gram polaris weight and a 70-59.46 tied helix. I can pull that cluthing at 1000 ft, it could see 8300 when getting traction and 8200 to 8250 with less traction. The stage 3 kit likes to be loaded and it is worth the money. I know that i can still pull a steeper inital helix angle with the mtx weights. I will be test this sunday with a 57 and 59 straight angle tied and slp magnum force weights at 9000 to 10,500 ft. Basically going to mimic the stock straight 40 but have better back ****s, upshifts, shift out and cooler belt temps. This sled just flat out runs now!

I also test and cleaned exhaust temp probe, motor mounts are newer, motor is aligned, tps is set and running 115 polaris belt.

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
Thanks for the update xmk1080.
It was brought to my attention that i never came back and updated this thread with my findings on the Carls setup. I posted it in the TRS thread, but forgot to here.
When i was waiting for parts to show up for the TRS setup, i swapped in another new stock secondary spring just in case the new one i put in at the beginning of season was bad. Apparently it was.....with 66s she would now turn 83-8400. It was waist deep, pretty heavy snow. Mid to high 40s track speed and pulling hard. Very happy after that day on the hill. Im still currently working with Tony, trying to get something figured out that will work at our elevations. But the Carls setup is now my baseline im trying to beat.

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
Thanks for the update xmk1080.
It was brought to my attention that i never came back and updated this thread with my findings on the Carls setup. I posted it in the TRS thread, but forgot to here.
When i was waiting for parts to show up for the TRS setup, i swapped in another new stock secondary spring just in case the new one i put in at the beginning of season was bad. Apparently it was.....with 66s she would now turn 83-8400. It was waist deep, pretty heavy snow. Mid to high 40s track speed and pulling hard. Very happy after that day on the hill. Im still currently working with Tony, trying to get something figured out that will work at our elevations. But the Carls setup is now my baseline im trying to beat.

Did you end up using the 62-42.40 or the 60-40.40 track. Also what track and length are you running, gear ratio, and is it a belt drive or chaincase. That track speed is pretty impressive :)

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
155 2.6 track. I was stock gearing until after the first ride that she actually ripped. Then i installed my pro gears, so im geared down currently.
I was running the 60-40 side of helix. My track speed made a huge jump up after motor mounts. Even when Rs were low, after doing the mounts, i probably picked up a couple mph gain. Then when i finally got the Rs up, my top speed when climbing didnt gain much, but became WAY more consistent. Gearing helped all that as well. And that mid to upper 40s mph is on long climb, pipe hot, and after she has climbed up on top of snow. If im working sled in trees, then turn up hill and go WOT, i see 37-40 mph then as it gets up on top of snow she will build mph to mid and upper 40s.
Snow conditions play a huge role in track speeds to. Couple days when it was over the hood and heavy, my max while climbing was 43-44, just couldn't get on top of snow as well so my little 155 was just having to chug through it! Lol

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
Well it sounds like you have a good running axys and you are getting the horsepower to the track. I don't know if you recalibrated your speedo or not because you have about a 7% gear reduction and your speedo will a little read higher. If you are reading 43 mph then it is actually about 40 mph, but you are still making really good track speed! I'm using your track speed as a reference, tki belt drive with a 162 camso and riding 9000 ft plus, shooting for 40 mph but this track moves a lot of snow, at least it will load the motor, lol.

Last edited:

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
Yep, im accounting for the 7% difference on the speedo. Ive seen as high as 52 indicated while climbing and track comes out of the snow. You are definetly moving more snow than me though! Do you ride with a good running stock Axys? Thats kinda how i gauged my stage 3s performance was comparing to my wife's sled. Then its same snow conditions, temps etc. My snow might be totally different than yours. Figured if my wifes stocker was spinning 37-40 mph, i should be a few mph over that with my stage 3 minimum.
Im glad i kept looking for the extra power that was held up by clutching, it is so much more fun to ride now that its hitting 8300! Doesnt drop down below 8000 now while climbing, much more consistent and just pulls harder

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
Yep, im accounting for the 7% difference on the speedo. Ive seen as high as 52 indicated while climbing and track comes out of the snow. You are definetly moving more snow than me though! Do you ride with a good running stock Axys? Thats kinda how i gauged my stage 3s performance was comparing to my wife's sled. Then its same snow conditions, temps etc. My snow might be totally different than yours. Figured if my wifes stocker was spinning 37-40 mph, i should be a few mph over that with my stage 3 minimum.
Im glad i kept looking for the extra power that was held up by clutching, it is so much more fun to ride now that its hitting 8300! Doesnt drop down below 8000 now while climbing, much more consistent and just pulls harder

I believe I have a good running one now because of the clutching I'm pulling right now, but we will see what happens when I get out there LOL! I normally ride Northern Colorado and Wyoming! I put my stage 3 setup on the last trip last year and it ran phenomenal then this year I was stuck at 8000 because of spark plugs, lmao. I still can't believe that it didn't miss a beat, it just dead lined at 8000 rpm! You're right they are so much more fun to ride when you can pull RPMs and it's kind of crazy the clutching you can throw at it, I'm just glad I got mine back so I can finish the clutching, I'm really excited to see what this tied will do, going to switch secondaries back and forth, going to start with 2.27 gearing and then go to 2.52 and see what kind of track speed I can get with the coolest clutches.

Premium Features